Thinking About New RAM and HD

I just purchased a Dell E6500 Business class from a friend and I was thinking about switching to a larger HD and more ram. I was looking at the Seagate Momentus 7200 ST9160411AS for the HD. I have no idea what ram to get, currently there is 1 gb 800mhz ddr2 i dont know the brand off had. It has a core 2 duo processor. Thanks for any input.

Personally I use WD for HD’s, but Seagate should be just fine. Remember there is a plethora of choice out there and it’s important to check the spec, as 2 drives might look the same in the title description - but in the spec not so.

RAM:
I have a mix of all sorts. So long as you match pairs if that is the case for your Mobo
(Value RAM, Kingston, PNY, Crucial,)

I do not recommend Seagate (experience), but that is just me. And for ram I would go with Kingston.

:wink:

I normally buy WD but after doing a little research i saw that reviews were recommending the Seagate. I dont know really know too much about laptop hardware (this is my first laptop) so any advice is nice.

thanks

On RAM: best is to fill the laptop completely with one brand, one type. It will definitely speed up some things.
After a repair on my laptop i decided to give SSD a chance, so i replaced the 5400 rpm, 120 GB HDD by a 32GB SSD. My openSUSE install only uses 8GB, the rest is for swap en /home. OK, 32GB is not much, but the speed of booting, starting apps is incredible.