There is no sound when play flash in youtube

Hello,

I installed 64bit openSUSE 11.1. Firefox with flash-player plugin can play flash (youtube) but no sound at all.

I run firefox in failsafe mode and got following errors:

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

The version of Firefox:MozillaFirefox-3.0.5-1.1 (64bit)
The version of flash:flash-player-10.0.15.3-1.1 (32bit)

Pls help.

Thanks,

Try this:
As su in a console
cd /usr/lib/browser-plugins/
mv libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so-old
ln -s /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so ./libflashplayer.so

Then Restart Firefox.

Geoff

Unfortunately, that does not help. My firefox is 64bit and flash-player is 32bit.

I had the same problem. The solution was to raise the sound level. In Kmix (or equivalent), the pcm channel was muted.

You can try by installing the pulseaudio plugin for flashplayer, just search the main OpenSUSE repository for it.

I checked kmix but I do not see any mute checkbox for PCM channel and I put the max volume for PCM. There is still no sound when play flash in firefox.

I tried to reinstall the alsa-plugins-pulse, but that does not help. Could you give me the exact name of the plugin?

Thanks,

Thanks for this solution. It worked for me on release 11.1. I never thought about it!

@ chinese_ys

Run firefox as root and see if there’s sound.

>su
>firefox

If yes then add the user to “sound” group.

YaST → Security and Users → User and Group Management → select user → Edit → Details → check “Sound” group from the right column, reboot.

chinese_ys <<
This is a problem which i face sometimes. In my case it happens if any other application which is using sound is started before firefox. So what i do then, close the application using sound server and then restart firefox. This solves my problem (I know, it’s a bad solution) :frowning:

I uninstalled all of pulseaudio and it worked fine.

Guys, I tried all of your ways, but non of them is working for me unfortunately.

Hope there will be a new solution pop up soon.

Thanks anyway

I had the exact same problem - no audio in flash on 64 bit firefox. Unfortunately my situation may be quite different from yours, so be warned.

The reason why I could not get sound from flash in firefox was due to flash + pulseaudio redirecting sound to the onboard card on my machine and not the “secondary” soundcard which is what I normally use. So, I went into Yast -> Sound and deleted the onboard card. After I rebooted, I got sound in flash.

You may have to debug three separate items i) 64 bit firefox for which you may need to install nspluginwrapper ii) alsa and iii) pulseaudio. Check pavucontrol (you may have to install this) and see what it reports. The fact that you are getting flash video means that 64 bit firefox + 32 bit flash plugin are basically working but it’s alsa + pulseaudio which are the culprits. Oh and run gnome-sound-properties and run the tests to see what happens.

That does not work when there is NO SOUND period!

Kenny1948, please start a new thread for your sound problem, and someone will help. But you are not likely to get much help if you piggyback on someone elses thread with a different problem.

I agree with Jonathan_R,

I had a similar problem, no sound in flash in firefox or opera.
But had sound in mplayer and amarock.
I uninstalled pulseaudio and all of it’s libs and let yast install esound in it’s place.
Now everything works.

You can try by uninstalling pulseaudio.

Hi, by me uninstalling of the pullin-flash-player package does the trick.

For me, uninstalling libflashsupport solved the problem.

either remove libflashsupport or pulseaudio . both worked. but I think pulseaudio should not be removed. I think it offers better sound. correct me if I am wrong.

To fix this problem I did the following: I made the user member of the pulse and pulse-access groups.