the system doesn't boot, after kernel update?

You need to go back to Parted Magic and establish exactly for sure what is, what are hda6 and hda7
Look in them, it should be obvious by the content which is root and /home

Come back with confirmation.

I am wondering if SUSE is expecting sda rather than hda in the

**#Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: none

title 11.1

root (hd0,5)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 ro quiet splash
initrd /initrd.img

report back

I will let you know as soon as I get home. I worked from home yesterday in an ttempt to solve my issue but i had to go to work today.
I tried to have the boot file like this:
#Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: none

title 11.1

root (hd0,5)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 ro quiet splash
initrd /initrd.img

title Failsafe
root (hd0,5)
kernel (whatever parameters were there)
initrd (whatever parameters were there)

and the grub showed me just the failsafe option. (should I have removed the failsafe and have just the one you gave me? i misunderstood that and i will try to see if it likes it without title(it might go directly to the next step)

I will verify to see exactly where the home(I think hdb1, but i will confirm) and root(hda6 to be confirmed)
I will reply in about 9 hrs from now.
thank you

There is a typo in my post (#)

here

title 11.1
root (hd0,5)
initrd /initrd.img

same result after i made the changes:
root (hd0,5)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

Error 15: File not found

Press any key to continue

root is on hda6 and home on hdb1

just a question? what is this /intrd.img? should it exist in / ??
thanks

Hi
Here is a 11.1 64bit a directory listing and copy of grub from a vm;
http://pastebin.com/f37561ce6

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.42-0.1-default
up 4 days 10:52, 2 users, load average: 0.63, 0.33, 0.17
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

Thanks malcolmlewis. Caf worked with most of the the day yesterday and a bit today, as i was not available. my problem is that i cannot boot to Suse after a kernel upgrade. With PartedMagic I can see the partitions with the exception of the swap partition. I tried to repair it with the instalation disk but it fails to repair the grub menu.lst. caf suggested to change it but the changes get me the errors mentioned in the previous post.
I try to understand what parameters are needed by the grub’s menu
my home is on hdb1 and root on hda6. would you be able to tell me how to pass the parameters? i can see everything wit Parted Magic but not abel to start grub. any ideea?

Can you please mount and open hda6 in Parted and show me a screen of the folder contents

Hi
There is a few posts on the opensuse-user mailing list with someone
with the exact same issue, but it hasn’t archived yet :frowning: It’s a ppc
system but the same issue;

Ahh look here http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.suse.opensuse.user and
the article 19 Jan 12:37 Zhang Weiwu how to recover from partial kernel
upgrade?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.42-0.1-default
up 4 days 12:57, 2 users, load average: 0.58, 0.59, 0.30
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

ok i was able to find the kernel files which I assume were corrupted from the location in the link you gave me. The only problem i have is that my system doesn’t boot up and i get after i try to log in with my old grub which i still have into a console where i don’t have too many commands available(as posted at the beginning of this long thread.(page 1)
how can i run this command to force an installation:
rpm -Uvh --force *.rpm
With PartedMagic i can put the files in any location i want, i even have a terminal to run it from there.
should i try? any suggestions/ideas?
here is the list of directories in hda6:
bin/
boot/
dev/
etc/
home/
lib/
lib64/
lost+found/
media/
mnt/
opt/
proc/
root/
sbin/
srv/
sys/
tmp/
usr/
var/
windows/

Put your menu.lst back to what it was at the beginning.

Here is where you quoted it originally.

Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sat Jan 16 12:51:18 EST 2010

default 0
timeout 8
##YaST - generic_mbr
gfxmenu (hd0,5)/boot/message
##YaST - activate

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 11.1 - 2.6.27.42-0.1 (default)
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.42-0.1-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3160812A_5LS9HFWV-part6 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3160812A_5LS9HFWV-part5 splash=silent
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.42-0.1-default

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe – openSUSE 11.1 - 2.6.27.42-0.1
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.42-0.1-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3160812A_5LS9HFWV-part6 showopts ide=nodma apm=off noresume edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 x11failsafe vga=0x31a
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.42-0.1-default

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title Debug – openSUSE 11.1 - 2.6.27.42-0.1
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.42-0.1-debug root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3160812A_5LS9HFWV-part6 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3160812A_5LS9HFWV-part5 splash=silent
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.42-0.1-debug

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 1###
title XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

You can use the install DVD to go to the Repair Installed System from here remember: http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p_ZD-5-8-1qZzuK_OnhR-LTzM4jeHgJE_zFxi52lqMwtg_Q3PWAmo3UP_FIeyZrP-FUSRfB_XuQAr1FKWg0f0_A/pic5-select%20New%20Install.png

This time go to Expert Mode
We want to go to manage the Installed Packages/Software
See if it will let you re-install just the kernel packages
Usually you have to lock down all but the packages you want to re-install
This actually is/will install the old kernel, as supplied on the dvd.
Given that I have not actually done this for years, it’s hard to recall, but I’m assuming as with any kernel install it will write back to the menu the changed kernel detail.

The other method as pointed to by Malcolm is easy enough, but at the same time hard too, especially if you have never done it before. The post he links you too describes the method.

thanks caf. I was able to find the package which supposedly failed to be installed. I have the rpm files as mentioned in the link provided by malcolm. My question is how can i run rpm -qa whn i cannot get in the system? Can i try it from Parted Magic which provides me a terminal? if i boot in and get to the terminal via the initial menu.lst i don’t think that i have rpm command, not sure but limited commands were available in there(out of the ones I know). maybe /bin/rpm -Uvh * will do it for me? (just had the ideea to look for it now where it resides with the which command on my laptop). I think i can try that after i copy the files from my usb to the machine via PartedMagic. i will let you know.
thanks

You could use Parted Magic
From a Roxterm do fdisk -l so you know the way it identifies your partitions.

Then mount your root partition like this (it was hda6 wasn’t it, and be aware Parted may see it as sda):

mount /dev/hda6 /mnt

next do this:

mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev

Now chroot into your system like this:

chroot /mnt

From here you can do:

rpm -Uvh --force *packagename 

N.B. You may need to cd to the directory of your package, it depends where you put it.

hi caf,
everything looks fine until i get to this step:
chroot /mnt
where i get this error:
chroot: can’t execute ‘/bin/bash’: Exec format error

i will try to read man meanwhile to see if i can force it somehow. Maybe the chroot is corrupted? i can have it on the usb from the /bin/bash directory from my laptop?

I have waited to post this until you had went through all the options and still could not get your system up. You can start the install over from your Installation DVD and choose Upgrade instead of New install. Make sure you get your partition for root selected to the right place using the Advanced partitioning editor. The Auto install would most likely try to install by cutting into your Windows partition.

What you want is to overwrite your Root partition and keep your home partition. Make sure the Partitioning is correct before installation! Make sure you know which HD is hda and which is hdb.

Note this is only if all of Caf’s answers get you no where. He is more savvy on the Boot stuff than most anyone.

try it with a suse live cd
switch to root in a terminal with su
password is to just hit enter again.

If on the other hand you have the openSUSE install DVD, boot from it and on the first menu of options select the Rescue System option. That will start an elementary Linux Live operating system and bring you to the login prompt. Enter the username root and you will be at the command prompt with rootly powers and ready to proceed.

i was trying the variant Rescue System from DVD install disk.
I’m in as root and I can see the list of partitions (/dev/sdax and /dev/sdbx) as noted earlier in the PartedMagic. I try :

1. mount /dev/sda6 /mnt ( on this partition i have the root directories)
  2. mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
  3. chroot /mnt
    bash: chroot: command not found
    if i ignore it and go the next command:
    rpm -Uvh --force /mnt/new_kernel/kernel*rpm
    (there are 3 files kernel-default-2.6.27.42-0.1.1.x86_64.rpm,kernel-default-base-2.6.27.42-0.1.1.x86_64.rpm and kernel-default-extra-2.6.27.42-0.1.1.x86_64.rpm)

and i get this error:
rpm: error while loading shared libraries: librpm-4.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
should i try the other solution with upgrade from the instalation disk proposed by MattBClassic(thank you)
what do you think caf?
thank you

If you are trying to install the .rpm

It’s: rpm -Uvh <packagename>.

Personally I would think you find this easier form the Rescue Installed System
use expert mode
Repair Installed Software
Lock it all down except the kernel packages
It will just take a bit of figuring out, but it does work.

i’m trying to keep just a log from now on as it seems that my problems are worse than i tought and maybe i and some us can learn out of this.
I tried to repair the system without luck as the menu was not recognized. I then tried the update solution and i receive this error:
Instalation of package ./suse/x86_64/kernel-source-2.6.27.7.9.1.x86_64.rpm failed
and the detailed errors:
Subprocess failed. error: RPM failed: Replacing file /usr/src/linux-obj with symlink to linux-2.6.27.7.9-obj
rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/src/linux-obj’: is a directory
error: %post(kernel-source-2.6.27.7.9.1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
I will try to see if i can ignore it as retry doesn’t work.
if it doesn’t i will reinstall it with the /home directory on a different partition which is empty and hopefully i can keep my old settings

A new install and just keep /home un-formatted

Is looking like your best option. That will keep all your personal files and settings. You will just need to re-install the applications.

Hi caf, that’s what i did. Having a number of partitions created long time ago I had some spare ones. So I started a fresh install and created my new home on another partition just to have the old home saved. Everything was fine but now i get a message when trying to login that kde4initmanager was not installed correctly. I can get on the console mode but not sure what i need to do to install kde. most probably rpm but don’t know what. so my saga is not over, but it didn’t make me bitter over the OS as i learned few more things so no complains. I do blame my old machine for this and in fact that’s my fault that i procrastinate to still use it. anyway would you or someone be able to help me with kde installation? should i do it from repair or advanced or just direct rpm from the installation disk?
thanks