The perfect distro for ath9k AR9285

For some many out there suffering through the AR9285 kernel issue that want a great KDE distro I found one in Mandriva 2010 free:) Don’t get me wrong I still love my openSUSE 11.2 desktop and wouldn’t trade it for the world but the kernel 2.6.31 and the ath9k didn’t play very nice with my laptop:’( So I guess this gives meaning to use what works for you. I’m still in love with the openSUSE community and still find it to be one of the best KDE experiences out there!!!but not for my AR9825 just not at this moment. I’m posting this not to peruse people to leave openSUSE but to inform those that are suffering with wifi headaches and want a good solid KDE experience that Mandriva 2010 free is a good alternative.

For your AR9285 you might consider running a newer kernel. I’ve experienced instability with 2.6.31, not with 2.6.32 nor 2.6.33
This is not something you should try just for the fun of it. Mine works fabulous on both 2.6.32 and 2.6.33, no disconnects, no connection failures, WEP, WPA2, all works like one would expect. Changing to a newer kernel has some side effects: NVIDIA/ATI drivers cannot be installed through repos, preload has to be disabled.

Newer kernels can be found at Software.openSUSE.org, search for ‘kernel’. Repo for the latest kernel is Index of /repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_11.2

You could also compile a kernel from source.

I tried a newer kernel and your right it did do wonders for my wifi issue but when I tried to reinstall my ATI 3200 HD drivers from AMD/ATI site I would have serious conflicts(no mouse cursor and choppy windows) Like I said before I still love openSUSE it just didn’t agree with my laptop

Software.openSUSE.org: Search - compat-wireless

I think the “no mouse cursor” problem is solvable with an xorg edit. See post#45 here: openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users - Page 2 - openSUSE Forums Not so sure about the choppy windows.