The mystery of Fn keys

They are worked lol! The Fn keys are never worked for me before. On the last week I did a fresh install with 11.1. But after installing the latest nVidia driver they are gone. I can’t use any of them except the screen brightness.
I’m also tried to reconfigure my x11 with vesa, nv but nothing changed after the nvidia install.

• ram88

so it sounds like the settings were correct upon install. Check in /etc/X11, there are some xorg.conf backups. I’d try and rename the recent xorg.conf and use xorg.conf.install instead. Restart the X server and see if things changed.

Uwe

There was only two files *.saxsave and *.install, so I renamed the *.install to xorg.conf. Then init 5. Nothing changed except the resolution and the colors.

• ram88 wrote, On 12/28/2008 12:56 AM:

> There was only two files *.saxsave and *.install, so I renamed the
> *.install to xorg.conf. Then init 5. Nothing changed except the
> resolution and the colors.

So the settings for the FN keys aren’t related to the keyboard set in xorg.conf.
Are you sure the NVidia driver installation wasn’t just a coincidence, timewise, rather than the reason for the FN-Keys failing?
Did you do something else? E.g. my Samsung notebook’s Fn keys work up to a certain BIOS version under Linux, with a recent BIOS they don’t. After upgrading the BIOS they seazed working (and it took me quite some time to find out how to downgrade a Samsung BIOS <G>)

What laptop are we talking about, exactly?

Uwe

My laptop is: MSI M670X. They Fn keys are stopped working right after the nvidia driver installation. That is all what I did. :\

• ram88,

odd. Please open a console and launch “xev”. Now when you use the Fn keys, do you see any output?

Uwe

If I use the screen brightness key (they are working properly) - there is no output in the Konsole. But if I press Volume +/- Mute key, I have Konsole output.

Volume +

KeyPress event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001,
    root 0x156, subw 0x0, time 23112719, (769,446), root:(774,471),
    state 0x10, keycode 174 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001,
    root 0x156, subw 0x0, time 23112778, (769,446), root:(774,471),
    state 0x10, keycode 174 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,

and this stands for Volume -

KeyPress event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001,
    root 0x156, subw 0x0, time 23191106, (703,492), root:(708,517),
    state 0x10, keycode 176 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:

KeyRelease event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001,
    root 0x156, subw 0x0, time 23191170, (703,492), root:(708,517),
    state 0x10, keycode 176 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,

• ram88,

that means the brightness keys interact with the BIOS, and the rest needs to be configured for X. You can play with different keyboards in Sax2, or you can use an application like keytouch or lineak (should be available from the Packman repository) to map the keyboard input to certain apps.

Uwe

Thanks for the suggestions, Fn keys are working now. It was a little bit tricky, but I’m figured out. Now my keyboard in Keytouch is set to HP - SK-2511A. In Sax2 Generic 101 key. Volume Up / Down / Mute are functioning through Amixer (First I’m downloaded and compiled the KMix plugin, but it isn’t needed).
Happy New Year, and thanks again.

• ram88,

you’re welcome, glad it is fixed now. Happy New Year :slight_smile:

Uwe