Text truncating on the New Posts page and login form problem with Basic Green style of this forum

Hi,

I have two problems with the forum itself. And I use Firefox 50 to browse it.

The first one is text truncation or cutting or now wholly showing problem. As shown in the following 2 images, lower part of the texts of the titles is hidden on New Posts page with openSUSE-CMS style. So I switched to the other style of Basic Green. But the time stamp is truncated in the same page with the style of Basic Green. Although it is not a big problem for me.

The second one is that the login entry with Basic Green style seems not right. It is only a link to other site when using openSUSE-CMS style but it is a form when using Basic Green style. And the form does not work apparently.

Here is the images. (Sorry for some typo errors on the images.)

http://i.imgur.com/b9eeY6t.png

https://i.imgur.com/RturdOZ.png

Hi
Looks like a desktop theme or maybe dpi issue, I can’t duplicate in Firefox 50, openSUSE 42.1 or Tumbleweed with the GNOME DE, even with 1366x768 resolution it all looks fine even when zooming text.

Are you using a standard theme, fonts etc?

Hi malcolmlewis,

Thanks for responding.

You seems to be right on the truncation problem.

I tackled the smallest font size in my system because sometimes the characters are too small to read. When using a newly installed system with default settings, the 1st problem still exists but looks much better and can be ignored.

And if I enlarge the window size of Firefox, the truncation of timestamp problem is gone.

But the login zone with Basic Green style remains. However, maybe there are very few people will use this style.

It’s good for these to be improved, but it is OK to leave them as present.

Thanks again for your clarifying.

Just a quick note.

I am using “basic green” and not having any problems. I’m currently using firefox 50. But I sometimes use konqueror, and that is also working fine.

The login page seems to be using “openSUSE-CMS”. Since I see that before I am logged in, it does not know that I have selected “basic green” (because it does not know who I am before login), so I guess that’s the default login page.

And note, that to check this I pulled up the login page in a private browsing window in Firefox.

Many thanks, nrickert, for your effort on testing and confirmation on this issue.

I found this login problem with Basic Green style accidentally. Because I used to check the New Posts page first and it was indeed loaded with default style. While at that time, I had not log in yet. But the page is, at least for my case, not rendering well in my browser. So I select the Basic Green style at the bottom of the page. Then I found the problem while I tried to login there.

In fact, if there is no need, I don’t want to bother with login as it requires several time clicks and time waiting :stuck_out_tongue:

But truly it’s not a big problem for me. I just thought that I should let the admins know that a potential problem could be there because I found it accidentally and they might not know it was like that. And if they do not think that will cause problem, then so be it.

Additionally, only a note, I just noticed that if clicking a user’s profile link when not logged in and certainly with default style, a login form would show up. This login form acts like the one on a Basic Green styled page I referred to previously. But the bright side is that there is a login button on the top right corner.

I don’t quite remember why I changed to “basic green”. It was some sort of problem with the forum (the “new posts” page), and some data being overlayed. Nobody else was having problems. But it seemed that everyone else had their browser very wide. I have it at around 2/3 screen width for more comfortable reading. So changing to “basic green” fixed most of those problems.

Now that you mention it, I probably do sometimes see a “basic green” login page. When my login has expired, it sometimes allows me to continue reading as if logged in. But a login page pops up if I try to reply. And that is possibly “basic green”.

Maybe we both ran into this for the same reason lol!

I use a narrow window of the browser as well. So the text is OVERLAYED (thanks for this more accurate word). This is part of my problem. Anyway, I think the CSS could be improved for this forum, as well as the login forms on different situations.

Now I find the following solution to the overlaying problem,

• Change system font size to default (10px for normal size)
  • Firefox default font size to 16px
  • Magnify the pages of this forum by 120% through “zoom in” function of Firefox

Cheers

I have a lot of issues with the look of the forums pages (at the top and bottom, thus outside of the precious contents of the posts themselves) when I have a smaller width window. They are solved when I show the window full with. Something hat shouldn’t of course happen. It is against the principles HTML was designed for.

But I do live with it for years already.

Guess that I have to do the same with you for years then lol! I tried but couldn’t find the maintainer of this forum application and the bug report or source project, or something like those. I’m gonna give up now.

The product’s name is vBulletin. You will see it used in many forums all over the web.

When a product has many diverse users, imho the individual customers haven’t a big say in it.

I gave up trusting it’s quality with respect to it adhering to the standards when I checked the HTML conformance of it’s home page: https://validator.w3.org/check?uri=forums.opensuse.org%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

vBulletin is just a web application. We cannot blame it. I am sure the maintainers of this forum had customised the THEME and some of the functions. It is most likely due to the customisation.

Yes, the validation results are a little ugly. But you can relax. When you look into the details, they are not a big deal. They mostly lie in two kinds of errors. One is with additional space characters in wrong place with HTML tags, and the other is with the standards of javascript.

It looks like the implementation of this forum has not been checked/maintained actively.

:slight_smile:
Depends on the HTML version.

Current HTML5 “standards” (quoted because to date there has not been any official ratification although nowadays is implemented extensively) do support dynamic “flowing” objects that automatically adjust to the screen size and orientation,

But, the older HTML4.3 did not support this kind of dynamic placement.
And, continues to live on indefinitely supported by all major web browsers.

Part of the reason probably is pushback.
All software developers want to have as much control over appearance as possible and HTML5 requires relinquishment.
Also, a long list of easy to use objects that don’t fit into HTML5 philosophy is deprecated in 4.3 but because demand continues to exist… Things like tables, many types of navigation bars and… and the whole ability to define colors and style of objects per item(In HTML5, no “per item” display characteristics like color and text size are supported, they’re supposed to be defined in the CSS).

So, at least for now web pages won’t always display properly or fit screens.
At least if the coders want a certain “look” that’s different than what’s permitted in HTML5 and that seems to be the case with vBulletin.
It’s just a decision.

TSU

The pages of this forum are:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

I’ve never really paid much attention to the DTD (Document Type Definition), from what I’ve seen it mainly defines objects and their behavior if there is any question in the browser.

But, to my knowledge there are relatively few conflicts, and although all browsers uniquely maintain their own capabilities and adherence/support for the 4.3 and proposed 5 standards I haven’t yet seen any case where the DTD prevented or provided feature capability in a web browser.

In other words, it’s nice and good form to declare the HTML used, but it’s not really necessary nor likely affects what will execute… That’s really up to the browser and not usually affected by the DTD.

On the other hand, if a web developer wants to use capabilities that do not exist in the browser, then it’s possible to <extend> those capabilities by downloading and running (not installing) libraries and code for that capability using something like modernizer.

For the most part I don’t think this is stuff encountered often in the Desktop world because most web browsers are supremely capable, but is often an issue when writing apps in the mobile world where there is a big schism between iOS and Android browsers, and the versions of each over the years.

Or, maybe I’ll experience something new one day and my opinion will change… :slight_smile:

IMO,
TSU