Testing OpenSUSE

Hi, well it looks like my attempts to test OpenSUSE without a full install have gone nowhere (Live/portable USB - openSUSE Forums), so…

I have a netbook with another distro on that is working reasonably well. There is nothing that cannot be restored and, if I choose to change, I will have to anyway. However, it is not a quick process so I’d prefer an easy route back.

So, I have a few questions…

1. I assume OpenSUSE install will see the current distro and attempt to resize it and co-exist?

2. Does this work: SDB:How to Uninstall Linux - openSUSE? The article is obviously old (it refers to “From SUSE LINUX 9.0”), but it does say:

1. To remove LILO or GRUB (if it is installed in the MBR), the original boot code that was in the MBR prior to the installation of SUSE LINUX can be restored. To do this, change to the following YaST module:
    * Boot Loader Setup ->
    * Reset (bottom right) ->
    * Restore MBR of Hard Disk

After a security query, the boot code in the MBR is rewritten. The partition table remains unmodified. If another operating system is installed on your machine, it should boot automatically the next time the machine is powered on.

Most of the other things I’ve read on this seem to say that you need to use the original OS’s disk…?

1. If I decide to go to OpenSUSE, is there an easy way to remove the other distro, expand SUSE to the whole disk and sort out the boot?

Thanks in advance.

Start here: NEW Users - Suse-11.2 Pre-installation – PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

This will provide answers to your questions.

Transforming the machine into a openSUSE only one is easy, keeping the other OS equally easy. Pay a lot of attention to the partitioning of the disk, take care to have /home on a separate partition.

Sorry, but not really, no.

OK - I follow the link. I assume you didn’t mean the specific post (about “possible Commercial DVD hiccup on 32-bit PCs”), so I go to the top of the thread…
NEW Users - Suse-11.2 Pre-installation – PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

Follow the “The VERY first thing…” link…
NEW Users - openSuse Pre-install (general) – PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

Then “To start here…”
Installation - openSUSE

Then version 11.2 Live cd installation…
http://en.opensuse.org/Live_CD_installation/11.2
“There is currently no text in this page.”
:\

OK, try version 11.1…
Live CD installation/11.1 - openSUSE

This is a standard walk through of the installation screens.

None of the pages include the words “uninstall” or “MBR”, neither is there anything obvious about how to “Pay a lot of attention to the partitioning of the disk, take care to have /home on a separate partition.”

I really don’t want to be awkward and I do appreciate attempt to help but…

Now, I know enough (probably) to look at the proposed partitioning and make sure that it has included a new /home one for OpenSUSE but the specific questions remain.

Will the installer sort this out by default?

Does the YaST option to “Restore MBR of Hard Disk” exist in 11.2 and does it work reliably?

Is there an easy way to expand OpenSUSE from a dual boot to the full disk and sort out the boot menu?

Whether the installer will sort things out, depends on your current system. If there’s enough empty space it will install in that space, if not it will suggest a new partitioning. Depends on what you want whether you accept that or not.

Could not find a “Restore MBR …” option in Yast

The most easy way to install openSUSE as a single OS, using the full disk, is to enter the partitioner during install by the option ‘Create a new partitioning’, I suggest (and always partition like this):
swap - twice the amount of RAM, or max 2GB
/ - 20~25 GB (leaves room for more desktop environments and some games)
/home - what’s left on the disk

Please explain your worries about the MBR. It can be recreated by most OS’s. If you install openSUSE diskwide I would not know what to use a restore for.

hey i’ve been having similar problems my internet browser is super slow my computer in general is super slow updates dont really seem to do anything i cant watch youtube videos cuz i cant find the right flash if some1 could help me even learn how to post a new thread i would be grateful thanks.

@SOxKOOL: Hi, welcome here too…

I suppose you landed on the home page, http://forums.opensuse.org , read that one carefully. In your case I would click for Help, then Install-Boot-Login. Once there, you’ll see a button “Post New Thread”, that’s the one for you. Be precise in your title, try to solve one problem at the time, state openSUSE version, desktop, 32/64bit, videocard, 3rd party drivers used etc.

There’s also loads of pages on how to use the forums. Read them as well, it will save lots of time in the future if you know your way around.

Thanks, this is what I’m thinking of doing…

I have an install of PCLinuxOS that is installed using three partitions that (between them) fill the whole disk.

The root partition is more than half empty and the /home partition has only a few MB in it, i.e lots of space to be had (I say ‘lots’, actually not that much, in absolute terms, as its only a 32GB ssd, but more than half is free space).

I would like to do a side-by-side comparison of the distros.

I assume this would be possible by resizing the existing partitions (I guess the swap can be shared), either by default or by hand - I’d rather like to know which.

Then, either I want to restore the PCLinuxOS to its former glory and remove OpenSUSE or remove PCLinuxOS and expand OpenSUSE to use the full disk.

I’m really just trying to get a handle on how complicated it would all be.

It’s a shame about the YaST option, obviously it existed in an old version - I wonder why it was dropped; it seems an obvious feature…

I could, of course, just wipe the disk and fill with OpenSUSE and then, if I don’t like it, reinstall PCLOS, if that is actually quicker/easier (including the tweaking time I’ve spent of PCLOS already)…

With only a 32GB hard disk this is one situation where you may find that having only /swap and /, partitions may be a good option.

If it’s a 32GB ssd, and you’re not going to play big games, I’d change the setup.
If RAM is over 2 GB, don’t add swap. My laptop has 4GB, had a 2GB swap first, but it was never touched ( I don’t suspend to disk, since a clean boot is faster from the SSD) to swap memory.
I’d use 12~13 GB for / and the rest for /home.
Had it like this on my previous SSD.

I strongly object. IMHO /home should always be kept on a separate partition. For multiple reasons. Swap depends on the amount of RAM. Also see my previous post.

I’m with you on this! M$ biggest mistake was the single partition for everything. files fragment badly, swap interfere’s with file nodes, etc … Back in the Linux and other professional OS world, it’s standing policy to separate user data from the OS as much as possible because it just simply makes back-ups, recovery, changes easier.

I strongly object. IMHO /home should always be kept on a separate partition. For multiple reasons.

In my case with a small hard disk and multiple OS’s and my usage, where the disk usage in / or /home can vary considerably,
it is simply easier than resizing partitions, moving data,removing packages etc.
Also I keep /home backed up and always do a fresh install rather than an upgrade.
That is ofcourse a little more dificault in the OP’s case with no optical drive.
These are just my thoughts.

I’m with you on this! M$ biggest mistake was the single partition for everything. files fragment badly, swap interfere’s with file nodes, etc …

You are talking microsoft here, not Linux.

Yes I was talking about M$ mistakes and why professional OS standards DO NOT MIMIC M$ bad idea’s. In Linux we have a proper separate swap partition, and choice of how to organize our system through the use of mount points. Thusly, we can easily have a separate /home partition or drive.

and choice of how to organize our system

For me what I suggested works better than the seperate /home method, in my situation, and yes i have tried both.

The issues you mention are related to windows I have not had this with linux.

I know the issues I posed are commonly related to windows as Windose is the best example of bad planning. In Linux, swap is always on it’s own or not at all (which isn’t recommended not to have). And /home is a matter of choice where you put it but the standing rule whether or not you follow it, is to dedicate a partition or alternate drive for your important data. Personally, I have saved hundreds of clients by using separation.