Systems sounds from wrong soundcard

I use a usb headphone (LifeChat LX-3000). I have pulseaudio intalled. And I used Yast to set lifeChat as default device (it has a 0 as Index, and the Intel soundcard has a 1).

Still my system sounds are coming through the intel soundscard. This is quite annoying, as I use headphones because I am in a silent environment, and everytime I do a search without results, or I get a google hangouts message, a bling comes through the speakers.

Thanks for any ideas!

You can just disable the system sounds

Are your two sound output devices listed separately in pavucontrol ? If so, you could possible control the output there.

I blogged about using multiple devices in pavucontrol here: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/oldcpu/pulseaudio-basics-opensuse-pavucontrol-96/

… if the two devices are not listed separately then a pavucontrol approach may not work.

Yes, they are listed separately. But, you can only change the device for the running audio. For instance, if I have vlc on, there is an extra box for vlc and I can change the audio device. But system sounds are usually just a bell or something, to short for me to go there and change the device.

Dorax wrote:

>
> I use a usb headphone (LifeChat LX-3000). I have pulseaudio
intalled.
> And I used Yast to set lifeChat as default device (it has a 0 as
Index,
> and the Intel soundcard has a 1).
>
> Still my system sounds are coming through the intel soundscard. This
is
> quite annoying, as I use headphones because I am in a silent
> environment, and everytime I do a search without results, or I get a
> google hangouts message, a bling comes through the speakers.
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
>
>
are you on KDE?

Yes, I use kde.

Mainly, I want my google hangout notifications to come through my headphone soundcard (whch is default and all the other sounds comes through there).

I turned system sounds to minimum on pavucontrol, but I still hear it. It’s quite annoying, I can’t seem to stop it unless I turn my second soundscard’s volume down. Strange, but not fun to have to do it each time. Should not happen.

Any other ideas besides “lifechat is default soundcard”. Can’t see hangouts through pavucontrol to change it there.

I am guessing a video conversation will appear through the other speakers as well…

If I understand correctly now, you wish to disable system sounds while multimedia application is playing sound via your speakers ?

You could simply disable system sounds entirely (ie by default when ever openSUSE is running) …

I do not know if there is a bash-shell command to disable system sounds, for if there were, you could create a small script for each multimedia application, and in that small script have the command to disable system sounds sent prior to the application launching, then have the script launch the application, then have the script re-enable system sounds after the application closes. But that’s a hack, and likely has unpleasant side effects, and I do not know if there is such a bash-shell command to disable system sounds.

Likely the best bet is to simple disable system sounds permanently.