Systems goes to sleep mode while playing a movies

I used to have gnome 2.32 with an applet calle Inhibit (“something”) Sleep, it was a little cpu in the taskbar that I clicked when I wanted my notebook to not to sleep (it wont even turnoff :-p that worked better than Caffeine program.

Now I am in KDE and the the whole userinterface seems to be (not like a mac) almost like a Mac, everything works as its supposed to be. I.E. when I watch a movie in vlc, smplayer or kaffeine and a flash inside Chromium or Firefox… the in KDE it dont turn off the screen. And I have Power Profiles, the Performance defaul profile with Dim Display and Screen Energy Saving in 10 minutes (Suspendd in 120 min I think if I wait 120min it suspends…)

Does it mean that you installed OpenSuse and everything woking fine?

Dont your screen goes dim and system goes to hibernate/sleep mode while playing a movie in vlc, smplayer or kaffeine?

That’s what he means. If you use Caffeine (not Kaffeine) or the inhibit thing he refers to (I didn’t find yet what it is), it prevents the screensaver or the hibernation/sleeping to start.

Yes I mean that the screen stays ON and I can watch the movie (flash in ie Firefox) or in SMPlayer, VLC or Kaffeine Player (I mean Kaffeine Player, not Caffeine anti sleep software)

Remember that I am using Opensuse 11.4 with KDE (I didnt install GNOME at all this time)

In KDE you have Kaffeine Player (that is something like a movie player very limited) that is not Caffeine… messy names :-p

The inhibit applet its for GNOME only I think… you can get it from Yast Software Manager searching for “gnome-applets-inhibit-powersave” its in “opensuse 11.4 oss” repository. So when I was in GNOME and you have this installed you can right click your taskbar and then (I think) “Add Applet” and then you look there for “inhibit” (yessss, it could be “no sleep”, “stay awake”, “no powersave” but no :-p its “inhibit” jeje)

Its like Caffeine, but I think its easier to install and cleaner to use… click it and its “dont sleep/suspend”, and click it again and its “you can sleep/suspend”

So, in KDE I have no problems with screen dimming, BUT remember that I have the Power Profiles Performance and Aggressive with “Suspend Session” in 120m.

(if it is useful I can leave my notebook playing some videos with a video player you want, for more than 120 minutes to test it.)

PS: sorry about my spanglish…

Thats strange. Even i am using Opensuse 11.4 with KDE and I too use the Performance and Aggressive Power Profiles with suspend mode set at 10 min.

(if it is useful I can leave my notebook playing some videos with a video player you want, for more than 120 minutes to test it.)

or you can set it to 10 min and test that too.

Just doble test it. I set 10 minutes in Suspend Mode then I started playing a video in SMPlayer… I leave it playing for 20 minutes and no screen dimming nor suspension.

Then, I tried the same with everything closed (no player opened) and in 10 minutes the notebook get suspended…

If you want any more info just tell me…

(I am using the opensuse ATI repository… not the one downloaded from amd.com)

I had the same problem before on linux mint and using VLS helped…
have you tried screensaver set to let say few hours?