System Upgrade

Can someone tell me something regarding system upgrade when new version is available? For instance, at the moment I’m running 12.2, and when 12.3 comes in 7 days, how can I upgrade it. Is it recommended to upgrade it right away?

There’ are several posts on how to upgrade, and I won’t repeat that information here. I’ll just say 3things:

1. don’t do anything without a good, current backup of your data
  2. “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it,” at least not until the dust settles, usually about a month after the release date (minimum)
  3. don’t do anything without a good, current backup of your data

On 2013-03-05 19:16, thermooo wrote:
>
> Can someone tell me something regarding system upgrade when new version
> is available? For instance, at the moment I’m running 12.2, and when
> 12.3 comes in 7 days, how can I upgrade it. Is it recommended to upgrade
> it right away?

Online upgrade
method

Offline upgrade
method

Chapter 16. Upgrading the System and System Changes

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 18:16:01 +0000, thermooo wrote:

> Can someone tell me something regarding system upgrade when new version
> is available? For instance, at the moment I’m running 12.2, and when
> 12.3 comes in 7 days, how can I upgrade it. Is it recommended to upgrade
> it right away?

I usually wait a little bit on my main systems, since I use them for work-
related stuff.

Really depends on your needs.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I personaly are never triggered by a new version to upgrade. I mayy be triggered by a coming end-of-support of a version I use to upgrade.

“Never touch a running system” is my way of life. But some people can not wait to go for the newest often only because they want to go for the newest.lol!

Heh, truly. I spent the last few years mainly on Debian Stable. Though now I am running the RC of 12.3 on my main system. I think I miss the good ol’ days where I always tested the latest beta releases. It was especially fun when KDE 4 came out and everything was new. It is a lot calmer nowadays.

I would have to put in my agreement that you should only upgrade when you need to. At the very least when you are sure you are ready.