System Tray Not Found, can't start KDE

I did a very stupid thing and I should know better. I was trying to update my hplip program and now KDE Plasma Workspace refuses to start.

Opensuse 11.1, KDE 4.3.?

I already tried deleting .kde4/ and .kde/ and still the same problem. I can log in to the console. The error message when starting KDE is “No System Tray detected on this system”. The same thing happens if I try to log in as an alternate user on this system.

Can I use zypper from the console to do something?

Thanks for any help. I really need this to come back up.

To follow up, I did “zypper up” from the console, this installed a whole bunch of packages to kde 4.3.90. Which I think is the latest version. I’m still having the same problem, KDE won’t start. No System Tray Found.

How can I force a fresh install of KDE?

Anyone? Please. Thanks.

What if you login with kde3 (or don’t you have it installed?)
or icewm?

kde4 does not require the sys tray to start the desktop.
If you can start kde3 or icewm can you post result of

zypper lr -d

Thanks for your reply.

I am logged into KDE3 and that’s working. KDE4 starts, but all I get is that system tray error message and then a black screen. My mouse cursor is visible on the black screen.

Here’s the repository listing you asked for.

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh

—±----------------------±----------------------±--------±-------
1 | KDE:Qt_1 | KDE:Qt | No | No
2 | KDE_4_Community | KDE 4 Community | No | No
3 | KDE_4_Core_Packages | KDE 4 Core Packages | Yes | Yes
4 | Libdvdcss repository | Libdvdcss repository | No | No
5 | Packman Repository | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes
6 | devel:tools:building | devel:tools:building | No | No
7 | google | google | No | No
8 | google-chrome | google-chrome | No | No
9 | kde-desktop | kde-desktop | No | No
10 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | No | No
11 | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | No | No
12 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.1-Debug | No | No
13 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Oss | Yes | Yes
14 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.1-Source | No | No
15 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.1-Update | Yes | Yes

You asked for -d here’s the output…sorry.

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

—±----------------------±----------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | KDE:Qt_1 | KDE:Qt | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Qt/openSUSE_11.1 |
2 | KDE_4_Community | KDE 4 Community | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.1_KDE4_Factory_Desktop |
3 | KDE_4_Core_Packages | KDE 4 Core Packages | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1 |
4 | Libdvdcss repository | Libdvdcss repository | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | http://suse.linuxin.dk/repo/11.1/ |
5 | Packman Repository | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.1 |
6 | devel:tools:building | devel:tools:building | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/devel:/tools:/building/openSUSE_11.1 |
7 | google | google | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386 |
8 | google-chrome | google-chrome | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386 |
9 | kde-desktop | kde-desktop | No | No | 10 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1 |
10 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | No | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 |
11 | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | No | No | 120 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss |
12 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.1-Debug | No | No | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
13 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Oss | Yes | Yes | 120 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
14 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.1-Source | No | No | 100 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
15 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.1-Update | Yes | Yes | 20 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.1 |

Please change the repo priority of Updates #15 to 99

enable repo #11 non-oss

do an unconditional update in repo #3 kde4 desktop
carl4926 - Unconditional Update in Yast Software management

see if this helps

Thank you. All is well now. I followed your instructions and did the unconditional update and that fixed KDE4. Now I have to reset all my personal settings, but that is the lesser problem.

Thanks again.

Excellent
BTW: Your settings were lost as a result of your earlier removal of .kde4