System locking up - can’t figure it out

Hello,

I’ve been trying to get help for my 3-week-old Tumbleweed install. I keep having issues with the system locking up and having to force a shutdown/reboot w/ the power button. I don’t know what’s causing it. I thought it might be a KDE issue but I’ve installed other DEs as well and still have the problem.

I’ve tried to get the journalctl output for the timeframes when the lockup happens and I have to force the reboot. I just can’t have this happening because it’s a media server for us. I’ve included the journalctl output for a few different lockup events. I’m seeing a lot of problematic issues listed on journalctl but I don’t know enough to be able to figure it out. If anyone could take a look and help, I would appreciate it so much. I don’t know if it’s an that happened with the initial install or something else. This problem has happened since I first installed (and before adding any extra DEs or other stuff). I’ve tried getting a tty session started but I have no control when this happens at all. I’ve also tried changing the compositor to no avail. I’ve really put in the work to look at journalctl & figure out how to see different outputs and save it. I hope that’s evident. I’ve not just posted with no effort behind it. This is days of working on it now.

I’m including several different journalctl outputs including boot, kernel, and the higher priority outputs (especially the latter seems to show things happening before the reboot). If you need anything more, please let me know and I’ll get it. I just don’t know enough now to know what these errors mean or how to fix.

Journalctl Priority 1 (0 also included but had no output): https://pastebin.com/Le8E61pY
Journalctl Priority 2: https://pastebin.com/MSZmeubi
Journalctl Priority 3: https://pastebin.com/RZLaTyWr
Journalctl Priority 4: (if you need to see Priority 4, please let me know. It was too large for Pastebin but I could find another pastebin style option)
Journalctl Boot (-b): https://pastebin.com/uw2bT1j4
Journalctl Kernel (-k): https://pastebin.com/3eQb3Qsp

Thanks so much in advance! Here’s my hardware data:

I’m running the latest OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (and kept the packages up to date) using KDE. My hardware is:
Intel NUC 8i7BEH
Intel Core i7 8559u 4 core/8 thread processor
16gb RAM
Intel Iris 655 Graphics
m.2 NVMe SSD 512gb (this is a recent addition and where OpenSUSE is installed)
2.5” SATA SSD 256gb (this is what I’ve used for nearly two years and have had Mint installed on this SSD)
I also have various external HDDs - not that it would make a difference on this issue
8gb of the RAM is new. Intel specifically said that it didn’t matter if the make/timings/speed, etc were the same on the memory that it should just match the RAM amount of the first stick for dual channel speeds. Having said that, I did match the RAM amount and speed of DDR4 2400.
Oddly, Mint hasn’t shown any of these issues. I only say that because I would have thought that if it were a graphics/video cable or something hardware related, that both distros would be equally affected. The only things that are new that could be an issue are the recently added M.2 NVMe SSD and one of the 8GB RAM sticks. I also wondered if it might be an issue with KDE/Plasma itself. I don’t want to run Mint, I want to run oST which is why I’m working to try to figure it all out.

If you need any more system info or specs or anything else, please let me know.

So, someone mentioned that I was crazy for using Wayland with Tumbleweed and rather stupid for doing so as well. However, I have no idea what Wayland is (tried to look it up after they mentioned it but still am not clear other than something to do with a compositor) and I never did activate it or turn it on. I literally just did a straight up Tumbleweed install and this is what I got.

Is it a mistake that Wayland is on and how did that happen? What should I do about it?

Should I be looking at reinstalling from scratch? Thanks so much in advance!

I would not say that.

“Wayland” is an alternative to Xorg for managing graphics. It is relatively new. In my tests, it works well with Gnome but not so well with KDE. Also, how well it works depends on your graphics card.

It’s not necessary crazy to use Wayland. But, at this stage, it is probably better to think of it as experimental. If it works well on your system, then use it. Otherwise it may be wiser to stay with Xorg.

Thanks so much for this info. I really appreciate it.

The problem is, for me, I didn’t choose either one - I just let Tumbleweed do the install. I suppose this could be part of my problem, especially on KDE. How do I switch away from it, for now or at least give Xorg a try to see if this might help solve me issue?

Thanks again!

Should be an option on the login screen

As described,
You can simply log out, select the non-Wayland version of your Desktop and re-log back in, it’s an easy way to test your system.

But,
The most common cause of a system locking up (or pausing) periodically is filesystem indexing, which is a service that creates a database so you can do fast file lookups. The common way to address this is to determine the name of the service (It’s part of whatever Desktop you are using) and disable or remove the service. Without file indexing, your on demand file access will have a little bit of latency but many prefer that over the problem you see now.

TSU

@tsu2, thanks so much. This is really helpful info - both about Wayland and the file indexing.

So, are you saying that it’s possible I’m having this across multiple DEs because each of the DEs has a file indexer that is causing the lockup? Do I need to disable each of the file indexing systems across multiple DEs? I currently have a few different DEs installed trying them out. I’ve never had more than one DE and some really helpful people on the forums suggested it was the best way to figure out which is best for me.

Thanks again!