System freeze when logged out.

Hi, I’m using openSuSE 11.1 32-bit on Toshiba Satellite A210-15J with ATI Radeon X1200. Every time when I log out from KDE4 (also with Gnome) system hangd, and only thing left to do is power button. Bug or what? I’m using latest ATI drivers, and they work perfect.

I’m using openSuSE11.0 with Intel 855GM Chipset on laptop. Have same ‘screen of death >:)’ when I logout my KDE3.5 I suspect it is a bug in graphic card driver, cause on same hardware I didn’t have any problems with openSuSE10.3

Probably the graphic system was changed since 11 version. But nobody can confirm it in SuSE community. I noted it happen if graphic card change mode from X to ‘frame buffer’ mode. Maybe it is a solution boot into text mode before X starts and when you logout it comes into text mode (not in FB mode).

The same ‘screen of death’ I see when I press in KDE Ctrl-Alt-F1 The problem is that sometimes it happen and sometimes not. So, very difficult to catch the problem. >:(

Lucky you… Ctrl+Alt+Fx does not work for me. System is completely frozen with decayed screen. And it happeens always. Maybe to install older version of fglrx?

I removed fglrx proprietary driver. Now using default driver detected by OS and everything is fine. No lockups, and logout works fine. ATI drivers have bugs.

Merry Xmas!!!

How did you remove fglrx?:\

nvidia too.
is that really a driver issue?

I resolved this problem by disabling the “evdev” mouse driver from my xorg.conf.

System: Open Suse 11.1, ATI HD4670 with fglrx from ATI release 8.12

First I had my mouse configured as:

Section “InputDevice”
Identifier “Mouse[1]”
Driver “evdev”

X always freezed on logout. Digging a little I got these in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log when the system freezed:

Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x65) [0x47e715]
1: /lib64/libc.so.6 [0x7f28b08466e0]
2: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//input/evdev_drv.so(evBrainRemoveDevice+0x9b) [0x7f28af1354eb]
3: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//input/evdev_drv.so [0x7f28af1344ab]
4: /usr/bin/X(DeleteInputDeviceRequest+0x3b) [0x4959eb]
5: /usr/bin/X(CloseDownDevices+0x29) [0x445249]
6: /usr/bin/X(main+0x4ad) [0x43236d]
7: /lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe6) [0x7f28b0832586]
8: /usr/bin/X [0x4316f9]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

Now changing the device to:

Section “InputDevice”
Identifier “Mouse[3]”
Driver “mouse”
Option “Buttons” “5”
Option “Device” “/dev/input/mice”

Resolved the problem. System now seems to work fine, even switching to system console worked a couple of times.

Sorry for delaying my response…
There is script somewhere in /usr (i think in /usr/share/ati) with name fglrx_uninstall.sh or something like that. Just start it and unistallation will be completed in 5 secs. Of course you must be root to do this, and this work if you install fglrx driver with script downloaded from ati.com.
If you installed rpm package with yast, then just uninstall it with yast :slight_smile:

I installed new proprietary fglrx driver 9.2. Problem is not fixed at all! Still get decayed screen on logout… :frowning: