Synology multi directory access

Hello, I am running Harlequin version of opensuse. I have a Synology nas that I wish to access multiple folders (directories) at one time. So far I am able to access one folder and a time with this line command “mount 192.168.1.***:/volume1/MyStuff /mnt” This gives me access via dolphin and works well… but I wish to mount another folder called my “myother” and I get a error saying that mnt is already in use or words to that effect. Does anyone know a way to get this to work?

On 08/21/2015 01:46 AM, winlocktim wrote:
>
> Hello, I am running Harlequin version of opensuse. I have a
> Synology nas that I wish to access multiple folders (directories) at one
> time. So far I am able to access one folder and a time with this line
> command “mount 192.168.1.***:/volume1/MyStuff /mnt” This gives me
> access via dolphin and works well… but I wish to mount another folder
> called my “myother” and I get a error saying that mnt is already in use
> or words to that effect. Does anyone know a way to get this to
> work?
>
>

That’s because /mnt is in use. You will need to specify a different
mount point for each folder you want mounted.

Ken

When you executed your mount command the first time, you’ve mounted to /mnt already.

You can accomplish what you want by creating /mnt subdirectories like the following in a root console

mkdir /mnt/dir1 && mkdir /mnt/dir2

After the above you will have two subdirectories in /mnt and you can verify with something like the following

ls /mnt

So, now you can modify your mount commands to point to each directory you just created

mount 192.168.1.***:/volume1/MyStuff /mnt/dir1

and

mount 192.168.1.***:/volume1/MyOther /mnt/dir2

HTH,
TSU

Thank you HTH greatly for the help, I will work on this tonight.

Now that with the help of this forum, I’m able to mount my Synology directories without a problem… Now I think I would like to add this to the fstab… Can I add this code to the fstab

mount 192.168.1.***:/volume1/AudioBooks /mnt/audiobooks
or will it take some modification of this?

The sequence of en entry in /etc/fstab is different from that used in a mount statement.

Please consult

man fstab

You can also use YaST > System > Partitioning to let that create your fstab entry. It will btw also create your mountpoint if it does not already exist. Only important thing as that you should choose “Do not format partitions”, else you will destroy what is on the device.

I get the idea that you do not completely understand what mounting is (forgive me if I am wrong). This might help: https://en.opensuse.org/SDB%3ABasics_of_partitions,_filesystems,_mount_points