switching between languages

Hello, I am using LEAP 42.3 and since I have installed it, i cannot switch from one language to the other. I have set English as primary language, German and Greek as secondary ones. Alt+**** is not working, and there is not even a language icon in the taskbar. Any ideas? Thanks!

When you talk about a “task bar”, you apparently talk about a Desktop Environment. But you failed to tell which one.

I am using KDE 5.32.0, KDE Plasma Version 5.8.7.

any ideas from anyone?

…do you intend keyboard layout or language?? as I remember in the system teay (not task bar) there is only keybord layout icon

i do not need another keyboard layout. i only need to be able to use other languages.

What do youmean by “using”? Typing them? You can do that of course

This is English
Ceci est la langue française
Dies hier ist auf Deutsch
En er is ook nog nederlands

What is your exact problem? We can not geuss what you think.

Well, i know it sounds simple and silly…, but it does not work on my PC after I installed Leap 42.3!!
I can only write/type in English…nothing else comes up.

The point is not to write a sentence auf Deutsch. Das kann ich auc machen.
Greek characters do not come out at all. Why not?
German special characters (i.e. ae that should be one character) do not come up.

As always, you should tell exactly what you do, what you expect to happen and what you get instead.

Saying that characters “do not come up” is no exact description. No characters do “come up” spontanious. You have to do something.

E.g. When I hit the key with the A upon it, an “a” is shown. When I want “a”, I use Shift-A.
When I hit Shift-Right-Control, ", u, I get “ü” and so on
When I want a Devanagri characters, I open from the KDE menu > Aiding > Accessabilaty >Special Characters (Sorry my output language is Dutch), and search for them: नमस्ते
In OpenOffice Writer there is Insert Special Character menu item.

What are you doing to get what?

Ok, i will try to make it as simple as possible. But please try to think plain and not in a complex way. I am Greek, living in Germany and writing a lot in English on my PC. Which means that when I want to search for example in Firefox something in greek, I need to be able to switch the language from English to Greek, right? In the pre-LEAP 42.3 world, I would (just like in Windows) use Alt+shift and the language would change from English to Greek or to German or to whatever language I had installed.
Now, as i said, I cannot do this. I use Alt+Shift and the language does not change. It is really a very simple thing I am asking. Using special characters is of no use when I need to write a whole text in Greek. The same thing with German. I would normally get the character
"ä "when being on German language and pressing the keyboard button which 2 buttons to the right of L.

Now, does this make sense?

I may completely misunderstand you, but what you describe is switching the keyboard definition. When you use that Alt-Shift (or what mat be defined for it), you change the interpretation of the keys. The same key that gave you an “a” when in English is now e.g. a Greek “α”.

The problem here may be that you talk about switching languages, where in fact you want to switch character sets (alphabets) and specially their generation by a keyboard.

In fact I think that @pier_andreit in post #5 got it correct, but you denied.
And your problem has nothing to do with the languages you have or have not installed. Those are for generating messages by programs. A simple example, even without a desktop:

henk@boven:~> ls -l aap
ls: kan geen toegang krijgen tot aap: Bestand of map bestaat niet
henk@boven:~> LANG=de_DE ls -l aap
ls: cannot access aap: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
henk@boven:~> LANG=fr_FR ls -l aap
ls: cannot access aap: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
henk@boven:~>

What we need IMHO is someone who also did this in older KDE and knows how to do it in the newest version on Leap 42.3.

You mentioned character sets (alphabets). In my understanding, different alphabets correspond to different languages. But anyway, I guess you understand now that I need to be able to switch alphabets. Is it really so difficult to do that in Leap 42.3??

For KDE Plasma 5…

Click on the applications menu (Gecko face) in the bottom left-hand corner of you screen. Select “Settings” then “Configure Desktop”. Under the Heading “Hardware” click on “Input Devices”, then select “Keyboard”. Now right under the heading “Keyboard Hardware and Layout” click on “Layouts”, Then in the middle of the screen click on the box left of “Configure Layouts”. Your current keyboard layout will appear. Now click on “+ Add” , A menu will appear. In the field for “Layout” use the arrow to select “Greek”. In the bottom right hand corner click on “Apply”. Your bottom panel will now show whatever layout you had before and when you click on it, it will change to “GR”. Open a console and type in Greek letters. Start Firefox and search in Greek.

No, the Latin alphabet is used by many languages.
Same for the Cyrillic one (e.g. Russian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian)
And for Devanagri (Sanskrit, Hindi, Nepali, Maratha, …)

Also the other way around it is not a one to one relation.
Punjabi is written in a form of Arabic and in Gurmukhi. And there are more.

And IMHO because you do not see the difference and mixed up terms, your question was not understood correct. In the end it may be that the formulation of your problem was the most difficult thing here. :frowning:

I really do not know if it is difficult. Personally I am still missing an extensive and exact description on how this worked before. I did some suggestions, but you never confirmed not denied them.
So, for me, the last time.

What did you do when it worked. Something like: “normally when I type an A, i get an a. I do ,… The result is that when I type an A, I get an α”. Is this anywhere near what you do, or am I on the wrong path? Please, we can not look over your shoulder and we do not see what you do, and what happens. Also you seem to think that many people here do the same as you do all the time. That seems not to be the case. Or those people did not recognize that you have problem with it because your thread title does not cover your problem.

Big discussion… I know perfectly well that not each language has its own alphabet. But what I said is that when you change the alphabet, you definitely have a different language. Cyrillic, Latin, Greek are three different alphabets. You cannot write Dutch using all three of them. You mentioned Punjabi, that yes I do not know about.
Anyway, i should not use up more of your time. The problem has been solved by ionmich. Thanks a lot, ionmich. Ευχαριστώ (eh, i am able to write in Greek :slight_smile: ).

Yes, I think @ionmich understood your problem even if the first description and the title of this thread are not covering your question. And remember that @pier_andreit also wanted to go in the correct direction, but you cut him off. :frowning:

IMHO keyboard layout is not what I was looking for. Keyboard layout is QWERTY or QWERTZ (widely used in German-speaking countries). None of them would give me the ability to write in Greek, had i not done what @ionmich suggested. I appreciate the help from each one and I am not cutting anyone off. I could just realise that it was a matter of settings and not sth very difficult. It was just a matter of whether someone has used this feature and knows how to do it or not. Apparently, @ionmich has used it in the past and knew how to do it. Apparently you have not used it and did not know how to set this and that is the reason of the lengthy discussion. I have the opinion that @pier_andreit would also lead me to other direction than my desired one with his keyboard layout suggestion.

Maybe we should end this discussion, the more while you have your solution.

But ionmich definitely pointed you to setting the keyboard layout.

… then select “Keyboard”. Now right under the heading “Keyboard Hardware and Layout” click on “Layouts”, …/

and that is what this thread is about.

It is about binding key-codes (what is send by the keyboard to the system) to characters to be generated.