Switching back to ubunto

I am in short very frustrated with Open Suse due to lack of support. All I ever wanted was for someone to walk me through how to install the latest updates for an ATI video card on a laptop. I am a rookie to Linex but I wtruly want to learn it. The problem is getting advice is like pulling teeth or you have to be a Linex expert already. This is not the way to grow Linex. I need step by step instructions to install ATI drivers so my machine does not lock up and go to a white screen. Why can’t I get a nice person out there to help? I do not know even whe they say code what it means. Walk me through screen by screen. Lat but not leat is how do I find my threads on this forum? It is easy on Ubunto to do that.

Try this my friend ATI - openSUSE

right at the bottom it mentions white screen problem.

Post back should you have any problems, but I’ve not used ati for a long time.

If that doesn’t make much sense do this from the command line and post the url here that it gives you.

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | curl -F ‘sprunge=<-’ http://sprunge.us

I ahve been to this page and the trouble is I do not understand what it is telling me. That is why I am asking someone to walk me through this. I have the version of card that the easy program does not work. On my desktop the easy program worked because I am using a nvidia card. I do appreciate you trying to help me though. I am a windows guy trying to learn linux. I am hoping to convert myself and be an open source person. I am fairly good at windows but a idiot at linux.

OK give me the what I said as above just copy and paste into the terminal/console, command line…

I can do this but I need the above command I need the URL with the output.

How do I find my threads on this forum?

Click on your user name it will take you to your profile page, or use your name by welcome.

When you see profile page click on the >> then statistics…

I’m going to bed very shortly I’m more than willing to help, but it is late where I am… Otherwise I’ll follow up tomorrow.

I need the url with the output from the command then I can hopefully give you the fix back, another copy and paste.

Thank you for being helpful. I really appreciate it.

When you get the white screen I need you to press ctrl alt f2

Then login with you user and password then the command I gave you earlier. Oops see it is late here forgot you wouldn’t be able to copy and paste.

If you can get back to the white screen and do that command we can get started.

Please tell me this is connected to the internet?

Otherwise I’m really going to have to sleep on it and try to find you an edit command blind.

I’m gone if this doesn’t have the internet I’ve got something that should solve the white screen hopefully fingers crossed.

If from the white screen you cant do ctr alt f2 (Note altogether)

Then on the green screen with the distro options(Grub) at the bottom you have a line something like vga=*** add a space and a 3

This will boot to command line then I need you to do this exactly.

first we’re going to backup xorg. Login as user, then…

su

You’ll be prompted for password again

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

Now we’re going to add that line I hope, but without seeing the xorg I’m doing this blind.

awk '{print} /Section \"Device\"/{print "    BusID       \"PCI:1:0:0\""}' /etc/X11/xorg.conf > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.fix ; cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.fix /etc/X11/xorg.conf

That needs to be exact, white space not too much of a problem between BusID and PCI the rest has to be EXACTLY what I’ve put there.

I know that above command does exactly what I expected it will add one line into xorg.conf after Section “Device”. You can check this by cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf before and after.

OK you’ll have 2 extra files, but it’s late. Hopefully this will solve it. I’ll check back tomorrow, see where you’re upto.