switch KDE 4.5 back to 4.4.xx

Had a bit of a play with KDE 4.5.

I want to switch back to 4.4.xx in Opensuse

What’s the easiest way to do this?
Do I just use the package switcher to change back to the update repo?

So I would never say it can not be done and I hope someone comes in and says they did it. However, when I went to 4.5.1, I think it was at the time and did not like it, my attempts to drop back to 4.4 resulted in KDE no longer loading. I tried the switch to method, but got all kinds of dependency issues and aborted. I then went through and did it manually. But it just did not work out for me. As luck would have it, I did maintain a separate /home area and the reinstall of openSUSE was not as painful as I had feared. Anyway, good luck looking for the answer that you are searching for. If you get it to work, keep track of every detail so you can tell everyone else how to do it.

Thank You,

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 04:06:01 +0530, farcusnz <farcusnz@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> Had a bit of a play with KDE 4.5.
>
> I want to switch back to 4.4.xx in Opensuse
>
> What’s the easiest way to do this?
> Do I just use the package switcher to change back to the update repo?

depends on which version of openSUSE you have. if it’s 11.3, just remove whatever KDE 4.5 repos you added, then switch all packages to those from the OSS repo; that includes KDE 4.4. you can do that via YAST or zypper from the command line. if you installed packages from other non-standard repos, packman per example, you have to watch out that those packages don’t get changed back. that’s easier in YAST, where you can see the coming changes in a separate tab, and if necessary reverse them before the actual update.

if you’re using anything before (or after) oS 11.3, you’ll have to add stable KDE repos instead of Release:/45, then do the same using the stable KDE repos. in that case, other repositories shouldn’t be affected.

phani.

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 04:36:02 +0530, jdmcdaniel3 <jdmcdaniel3@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> So I would never say it can not be done and I hope someone comes in and
> says they did it. However, when I went to 4.5.1, I think it was at the
> time and did not like it, my attempts to drop back to 4.4 resulted in
> KDE no longer loading. I tried the _switch_to__method, but got all
> kinds of dependency issues and aborted. I then went through and did it
> manually. But it just did not work out for me. As luck would have it,
> I did maintain a separate /home area and the reinstall of openSUSE was
> not as painful as I had feared. Anyway, good luck looking for the
> answer that you are searching for. If you get it to work, keep track of
> every detail so you can tell everyone else how to do it.

i must admit i’ve never done it in this direction; only upgrading, and that never caused problems i found too difficult or troublesome to deal with. it’s quite possible that there are more problems the other way around.

for one thing, i’d back up the whole /home/ directory, in case config files or such get messed up when KDE 4.4 tries to import them. i keep backups of these anyway; came often useful when i messed up something beyond easy repair.

and i don’t think you should follow my previous advise, switching back to the KDE packages from your OSS repo. those are quite old, and if you dont’ like KDE 4.5, it’s probably better to switch back to KDE stable, which is 4.4.4 at present (i think).

phani.

I simply reinstalled 11.3 from scratch; it took 90 minutes including all the updates. The other suggestions may take less time.