Swap location: usb stick or hdd?

I`m starting this topic to get an answer at this question: does a usb 2.0 memory stick is better than an hdd in terms of using the stick to store a swap partition?
What is the write speed of a stick and the write speed of a hdd?

On 2011-10-29 09:26, creatura85 wrote:
>
> I`m starting this topic to get an answer at this question: does a usb
> 2.0 memory stick is better than an hdd in terms of using the stick to
> store a swap partition?

No, because it is quite slow writing.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Yes, it turns out that are slower than hdds and after a year or so the stick will fail eventually as i found on my own after some "googleing". Oh well back to the "ol hdd swap" :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity: your signature says you have 2Gb RAM so the swap space needed for full hibernation is the same. I can’t imagine anyone these days having an HDD so small that a 2gig swap partition would even be noticeable. Without the need to hibernate, 1Gb swap would be more than adequate, and with 2Gb to start with and depending on the uses of your computer, you could probably adjust “swappiness” so that the swap partition would never be needed and could, in fact, be scrapped without any ill effects.
So why on earth even think about USB swap disks, with all their other inherent problems (removability, sticking out, etc) apart from speed? Nothing personal, it just puzzles me :wink: