Suspend / Hibernate / Sleep on LAPTOP

Hello,

I have OpenSuse 11.2 installed on my Dell Latitude E6500 and I am very happy that almost everything worked right away. However, I am having some issues with putting the computer to sleep/suspend/hibernate. This is a major issue because when I carry the working laptop in its sleeve it gets too hot, that means I need to shut it down every time I step out.

The “suspend” function seems to go okay but then the laptop does not wake up (it gives a black screen…)

Any ideas about testing, finding and fixing what is wrong would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for checking my post.

Pm-utils - openSUSE
Suspend to RAM - openSUSE

It can be tricky

The “black screen” that I mentioned above is a result of the “hibernate” function, not “suspend” as stated previously.
More specifically at the bottom of the “black screen” (last lines) it says:

linux-taygetos kernel: [298.689222] i2400_usb 2-5:1.0: Failed to issue “RF Control” command: -110

linux-taygetos kernel: [298.730897] Restarting tasks…

linux-taygetos kernel: [298.734681] btusb_send_frame: hci0 urb f28eaf40 submission failed

linux-taygetos kernel: [298.744618] done.

ALSO, the “suspend / sleep” function just locks the screen and nothing more.

In effect, my only options are: SHUT-DOWN and LOCK-SCREEN. No good!

Please help if you can :slight_smile:

Hi, I have similar problem with my Dell Vostro 1310.
I am using release 11.2 in 64bit mode.
Actually everything works fine except suspend mode and only within KDE4.
When the laptop starts and displays logon screen I can put it into standby with pm-suspend or s2ram -f without any probem and it also reverts withou problems back. This works also from IceWM well. Only if I login into KDE4 than going into suspend takes more time (about 30 sec) and after resume it brakes with I/O error failing the hard disk.

Only difference I see between working and nonworking standby in dmesg is that putting it into suspend with KDE4 it starts up all ATA before suspend witch in working mode does after resume and not before,

1433.313032] ata3: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
1433.313064] ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
1433.313088] ata2: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)

Any idea please? I can work with IceWM but I’d like to work with KDE…

Do you have sufficient disk space for your hibernate file? Not sure about Suse, but I found solutions for this kind of hibernate/ sleep problems on Vista here: Annoyances-Resolved: SOLVED: Vista laptop won’t resume from sleep/suspend/hibernate, shows blank screen