Suspect NVIDIA driver issue - Display resolution stuck

Hi there,

I’ve just switched from Leap to Tumbleweed on a new laptop. The install went well, except the NVIDIA drivers. I updated them manually through konsole. As I started using the computer, I noticed the text is super tiny. I tried to modify the display resolution, but it is stuck in 2880 X 1800. The detail is amazing, but the text is so tiny, it’s a struggle to read many things. I tried to just increase the font size, which works for some things, but not all.

When I try to set the resolution at a different level, nothing changes and it stays at 2880 X 1800. After a bit of research, I suspect it is because of a problem with the drivers. So I went to Yast and removed the repo. Then rebooted, but the problem persists.

The computer is a HP Zbook firefly workstation. Let me know what other info I can provide.

Any ideas on what I can do next?

As you stay vague about your DE….
KDE Plasma had lately some changes that made fonts smaller. If you are using Plasma you should dig into the various settings in systemsettings….

Additionally you should change the display size in systemsettings (if you use Plasma) and check scaling.

To elaborate on hui’s response, scaling is a term often used like a volume dial that turns all sounds up or down, except with your entire screen content, not just fonts, to maintain overall proportions regardless of screen density. It’s necessary to adjust to the arbitrary sizing used to build software with screen densities that vary widely between common low cost hardware, and the higher quality that higher screen resolution and thus pixel density represents. With higher density screens you’re squeezing the same number of logical screen pixels into ever smaller physical spaces. Thus, the density knob “DPI” needs to be turned up to bigger numbers when the physical density high resolution brings goes up. DPI is the typical label given to what the “knob” measures - Dots Per Inch, or less commonly pixels per inch, PPI. A 16" 2880x1800 screen is 212 DPI, compared to the software standard default of 96, a difference measured by the squares of those numbers, making 212 DPI 488% of 96 DPI. It takes 4.88X the number of pixels to make the same size object on a 212 DPI screen as on a 96 DPI screen, among which, each glyph.

Drivers play no direct role in either physical or logical DPI configuration.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed answer.

This is a KDE desktop.

I believe I have been trying to configure the exact setting you mention. But my selection never works. It reverts back to the original default. I access the setting here:

System settings > display configuration > resolution

There I have an option to choose different pixels, but it’s not a knob. It’s a drop down menu.

Is there a different place I should be going to configure this?

There is a slider for scaling.

That’s it! It’s fixed. The global scale!

I had tried to change that setting before, and it wouldn’t accept modifications either, but I didn’t check after removing the NVIDIA drivers. Now it works. When I click apply, it fixed the problem.

Thanks for the help.

I’m happy I can configure the display now. I’m not exactly sure what the problem was or how I fixed it. But I believe it has something to do with installing the NVIDIA drivers through konsole.

After removing, the next software update replaced them automatically and since then, everything works.