suse11: can ping but not connect

hi,
I need help with a new installation of SuSE 11 on my desktop
My problem is internet connectivity (wired connection to a router) which does not work. In detail:

  • i can ping any host either by name or ip address
  • the inet address and mask are configured correctly
  • traceroute is successful
    but
  • external connections get timeout.
    Eg, if i open a browser and type in an address, it says “waiting…” and hangs,
    same with ssh; if I try to ftp it prompts for passw, authenticates, prints the welcome message and then hangs…

I installed from a boxed dvd so I contacted novell support: after a suggestion to disable IPv6 which did not work I have not had any further help.
Also to note that, from a live Knoppix CD and a BSDanywhere CD the connection works fine. I just cannot get Suse to connect.
any help would be appreciated
thanks

Since you are able to connect via other means (ping, traceroute etc.), it should work fine.
Did you try with more than one browsers? Firefox and Konqueror.
Also, just try with wget to verify that pages are really getting fetched or not.

hi,
i tried wget and after it connects it reports: http request sent, awaiting response…
it is still waiting!
i tried different browsers–same problem.
thanks

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Get a LAN trace from the remote side if you can. If you can ping and you
are getting valid responses from the remote machine that should mean your
network settings are all correct, but that involves a fair bit of good
interpretation (not that I don’t trust you, but I strongly believe in
verification).

So, let’s get valid output from:

ip addr sh
ip route sh
cat /etc/resolv.conf
ping remote.web.server.here
netcat -zv remote.web.server.here 80 #web interface
ping ssh.server.here
netcat -zv ssh.server.here
ssh -v ssh.server.here

Hopefully something in there will show us something important.

Good luck.

gopikp wrote:
> hi,
> i tried wget and after it connects it reports: http request sent,
> awaiting response…
> it is still waiting!
> i tried different browsers–same problem.
> thanks
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
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=58Wx
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

hi,
#ip addr sh
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host lo
inet 127.0.0.2/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host secondary lo
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1420 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
link/ether 00:e0:81:54:92:a4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.1.68/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global eth0
3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,DYNAMIC> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN qlen 1000
link/ether 00:e0:81:54:92:a5 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

note: eth1 is not used.

#ip route sh
192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.68
169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0 scope link
127.0.0.0/8 dev lo scope link
default via 192.168.1.254 dev eth0

#cat /etc/resolv.conf

/etc/resolv.conf file autogenerated by netconfig!

Before you change this file manually, consider to define the

static DNS configuration using the following variables in the

/etc/sysconfig/network/config file:

NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST

NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS

NETCONFIG_DNS_FORWARDER

or disable DNS configuration updates via netconfig by setting:

NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=’’

See also the netconfig(8) manual page and other documentation.

Note: Manual change of this file disables netconfig too, but

may get lost when this file contains comments or empty lines

only, the netconfig settings are same with settings in this

file and in case of a “netconfig update -f” call.

Please remove (at least) this line when you modify the file!

search config
nameserver 192.168.1.254

i am afraid i dont understand what you mean by: remote.web.server.here and ssh.server.here
thanks

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Replace those values with the IP Addresses or DNS Names of the servers
that you were using for testing earlier. ‘www.google.com’ for the web
server, for example.

Good luck.

gopikp wrote:
> hi,
> #ip addr sh
> 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
> link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
> inet 127.0.0.1/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host lo
> inet 127.0.0.2/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host secondary lo
> 2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1420 qdisc pfifo_fast
> state UP qlen 1000
> link/ether 00:e0:81:54:92:a4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> inet 192.168.1.68/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global eth0
> 3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,DYNAMIC> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state
> DOWN qlen 1000
> link/ether 00:e0:81:54:92:a5 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
> note: eth1 is not used.
>
> #ip route sh
> 192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.68
> 169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0 scope link
> 127.0.0.0/8 dev lo scope link
> default via 192.168.1.254 dev eth0
>
>
> #cat /etc/resolv.conf
> ### /etc/resolv.conf file autogenerated by netconfig!
> #
> # Before you change this file manually, consider to define the
> # static DNS configuration using the following variables in the
> # /etc/sysconfig/network/config file:
> # NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST
> # NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS
> # NETCONFIG_DNS_FORWARDER
> # or disable DNS configuration updates via netconfig by setting:
> # NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=’’
> #
> # See also the netconfig(8) manual page and other documentation.
> #
> # Note: Manual change of this file disables netconfig too, but
> # may get lost when this file contains comments or empty lines
> # only, the netconfig settings are same with settings in this
> # file and in case of a “netconfig update -f” call.
> #
> ### Please remove (at least) this line when you modify the file!
> search config
> nameserver 192.168.1.254
>
> i am afraid i dont understand what you mean by: remote.web.server.here
> and ssh.server.here
> thanks
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
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=5zEo
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

hi,
#ping Google
PING Google (209.85.227.104) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from wy-in-f103.google.com (209.85.227.104): icmp_seq=1 ttl=246 time=20.5 ms
64 bytes from wy-in-f103.google.com (209.85.227.104): icmp_seq=2 ttl=246 time=19.9 ms
64 bytes from wy-in-f103.google.com (209.85.227.104): icmp_seq=3 ttl=246 time=21.0 ms

Google ping statistics —
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2009ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 19.940/20.519/21.030/0.462 ms

#netcat -zv Google 80 #web interface
DNS fwd/rev mismatch: Google != wy-in-f104.google.com
DNS fwd/rev mismatch: Google != wy-in-f99.google.com
DNS fwd/rev mismatch: Google != wy-in-f103.google.com
DNS fwd/rev mismatch: Google != wy-in-f147.google.com
Google [209.85.227.104] 80 (http) open

#ping twister.bu.edu
PING twister.bu.edu (128.197.160.217) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from twister.bu.edu (128.197.160.217): icmp_seq=1 ttl=236 time=94.8 ms
64 bytes from twister.bu.edu (128.197.160.217): icmp_seq=2 ttl=236 time=93.6 ms
64 bytes from twister.bu.edu (128.197.160.217): icmp_seq=3 ttl=236 time=93.7 ms
64 bytes from twister.bu.edu (128.197.160.217): icmp_seq=4 ttl=236 time=94.0 ms

#netcat -zv twister.bu.edu
no port[s] to connect to

#ssh -v twister.bu.edu
OpenSSH_5.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8h 28 May 2008
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to twister.bu.edu [128.197.160.217] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_4.4
debug1: match: OpenSSH_4.4 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent

(just waits)

thanks

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

If I didn’t know better I’d say either your host firewall (if you’ve
tinkered with it; it wouldn’t do this by default) or some other firewall
or router is munged. If you have a router but can connect directly, try
that. Also you can test without your firewall in place at all:

/sbin/rcSuSEfirewall2 stop
#test
/sbin/rcSuSEfirewall2 start

If it’s a mobile box try putting it somewhere else in the world to test.

Considering other OS’s on this same box (and presumably network) work I
guess it almost must be the firewall, but I’m still suspicious.

Good luck.

gopikp wrote:
> hi,
> #ping ‘Google’ (http://www.google.com)
> PING ‘Google’ (http://www.l.google.com) (209.85.227.104) 56(84) bytes
> of data.
> 64 bytes from wy-in-f103.google.com (209.85.227.104): icmp_seq=1
> ttl=246 time=20.5 ms
> 64 bytes from wy-in-f103.google.com (209.85.227.104): icmp_seq=2
> ttl=246 time=19.9 ms
> 64 bytes from wy-in-f103.google.com (209.85.227.104): icmp_seq=3
> ttl=246 time=21.0 ms
>
> — ‘Google’ (http://www.l.google.com) ping statistics —
> 3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2009ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 19.940/20.519/21.030/0.462 ms
>
>
>
> #netcat -zv ‘Google’ (http://www.google.com) 80 #web interface
> DNS fwd/rev mismatch: ‘Google’ (http://www.l.google.com) !=
> wy-in-f104.google.com
> DNS fwd/rev mismatch: ‘Google’ (http://www.l.google.com) !=
> wy-in-f99.google.com
> DNS fwd/rev mismatch: ‘Google’ (http://www.l.google.com) !=
> wy-in-f103.google.com
> DNS fwd/rev mismatch: ‘Google’ (http://www.l.google.com) !=
> wy-in-f147.google.com
> ‘Google’ (http://www.l.google.com) [209.85.227.104] 80 (http) open
>
>
> #ping twister.bu.edu
> PING twister.bu.edu (128.197.160.217) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from twister.bu.edu (128.197.160.217): icmp_seq=1 ttl=236
> time=94.8 ms
> 64 bytes from twister.bu.edu (128.197.160.217): icmp_seq=2 ttl=236
> time=93.6 ms
> 64 bytes from twister.bu.edu (128.197.160.217): icmp_seq=3 ttl=236
> time=93.7 ms
> 64 bytes from twister.bu.edu (128.197.160.217): icmp_seq=4 ttl=236
> time=94.0 ms
>
>
>
>
> #netcat -zv twister.bu.edu
> no port[s] to connect to
>
> #ssh -v twister.bu.edu
> OpenSSH_5.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8h 28 May 2008
> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> debug1: Applying options for *
> debug1: Connecting to twister.bu.edu [128.197.160.217] port 22.
> debug1: Connection established.
> debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
> debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
> OpenSSH_4.4
> debug1: match: OpenSSH_4.4 pat OpenSSH*
> debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
> debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.1
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
>
> (just waits)
>
>
> thanks
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
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=6Jzf
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

hi,
turning off the firewall does not help.
The box is anything but mobile! (~15kg, 2 processor AMD opteron 64bit)
I have a WinXP box, a winXP laptop and a SuSE10 (2 processor 32bit) box connected to the same router with no problems.

thanks

ab@novell.com wrote:
> Get a LAN trace from the remote side if you can. If you can ping and you
> are getting valid responses from the remote machine that should mean your
> network settings are all correct, but that involves a fair bit of good
> interpretation (not that I don’t trust you, but I strongly believe in
> verification).
>
> So, let’s get valid output from:
>
> ip addr sh
> ip route sh
> cat /etc/resolv.conf
> ping remote.web.server.here
> netcat -zv remote.web.server.here 80 #web interface
> ping ssh.server.here
> netcat -zv ssh.server.here
> ssh -v ssh.server.here

Two more debug tools worth mentioning:
mtr --report-cycles=20 <host> --report --no-dns <packetsize>
For <packetsize> try e.g. 1000 to 1500

And:
tcpdump -i eth0 tcp port 80 -c 10 # and try to connect in a browser

Theo

hi,
#mtr --report-cycles=20 buphy.bu.edu --report --no-dns 1000
HOST: Knoppix Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev

  1. 192.168.1.254 0.0% 20 98.0 62.9 25.1 98.0 24.9
  2. ??? 100.0 20 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
  3. 10.1.2.161 90.0% 20 20.3 20.3 20.2 20.3 0.0
  4. 213.161.78.221 0.0% 20 20.2 24.6 19.7 69.3 11.3
  5. 195.66.224.185 5.0% 20 20.2 20.2 19.9 21.1 0.3
  6. 130.117.0.185 0.0% 20 100.3 100.7 99.8 107.8 1.7
  7. 38.112.23.118 95.0% 20 100.5 100.5 100.5 100.5 0.0
  8. 192.54.224.70 0.0% 20 101.1 101.4 100.9 102.1 0.3
  9. ??? 100.0 20 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
  10. 128.197.254.178 0.0% 20 101.6 101.7 100.9 103.0 0.5
  11. ??? 100.0 20 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
  12. 128.197.41.42 5.0% 20 113.4 112.5 102.0 120.2 5.2

#tcpdump -i eth0 tcp port 80 -c 10 #
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
17:09:17.719170 IP Knoppix.config.39376 > www.opensuse.org.http: S 2214996622:2214996622(0) win 5520 <mss 1380,sackOK,timestamp 3835429 0,nop,wscale 7>
17:09:17.907610 IP www.opensuse.org.http > Knoppix.config.39376: S 2194234301:2194234301(0) ack 2214996623 win 6144 <mss 1380,wscale 0,nop>
17:09:17.907701 IP Knoppix.config.39376 > www.opensuse.org.http: . ack 1 win 44
17:09:17.907817 IP Knoppix.config.39376 > www.opensuse.org.http: P 1:382(381) ack 1 win 44
17:09:17.927359 IP Knoppix.config.52595 > 66.235.132.118.http: F 1178940504:1178940504(0) ack 4201913577 win 44 <nop,nop,timestamp 3835481 1521603286>
17:09:18.096963 IP www.opensuse.org.http > Knoppix.config.39376: . ack 382 win 5763
17:09:23.154082 IP Knoppix.config.39377 > www.opensuse.org.http: S 2295391404:2295391404(0) win 5520 <mss 1380,sackOK,timestamp 3836788 0,nop,wscale 7>
17:09:23.167101 IP Knoppix.config.50996 > static.88-198-69-151.clients.your-server.de.http: S 2300488018:2300488018(0) win 5520 <mss 1380,sackOK,timestamp 38
36791 0,nop,wscale 7>
17:09:23.170916 IP Knoppix.config.33377 > fxfeeds.acelb.sj.mozilla.com.http: S 2294697112:2294697112(0) win 5520 <mss 1380,sackOK,timestamp 3836792 0,nop,wsc
ale 7>
17:09:23.224933 IP static.88-198-69-151.clients.your-server.de.http > Knoppix.config.50996: S 3948993482:3948993482(0) ack 2300488019 win 5792 <mss 1460,sack
OK,timestamp 1412139162 3836791,nop,wscale 7>
10 packets captured
11 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel

also i should say that i can ssh to the SuSE11 box from my suSE10 box (and the reverse) and that some mozilla pages load: I thought at first that they were just stored locally during installation but i can access them through Konqueror as well.
I find the whole thing very mysterious and way beyond my capabilities to fix…
any help is very appreciated
thanks

the knoppix hostname is an unfortunate side effect of the knoppix live cd :frowning:

gopikp wrote:
> hi,
> #mtr --report-cycles=20 buphy.bu.edu --report --no-dns 1000
> HOST: Knoppix Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst
> StDev
> 1. 192.168.1.254 0.0% 20 98.0 62.9 25.1 98.0
> 24.9
> 2. ??? 100.0 20 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
> 0.0
> 3. 10.1.2.161 90.0% 20 20.3 20.3 20.2 20.3
> 0.0
> 4. 213.161.78.221 0.0% 20 20.2 24.6 19.7 69.3
> 11.3
> 5. 195.66.224.185 5.0% 20 20.2 20.2 19.9 21.1
> 0.3
> 6. 130.117.0.185 0.0% 20 100.3 100.7 99.8 107.8
> 1.7
> 7. 38.112.23.118 95.0% 20 100.5 100.5 100.5 100.5
> 0.0
> 8. 192.54.224.70 0.0% 20 101.1 101.4 100.9 102.1
> 0.3
> 9. ??? 100.0 20 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
> 0.0
> 10. 128.197.254.178 0.0% 20 101.6 101.7 100.9 103.0
> 0.5
> 11. ??? 100.0 20 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
> 0.0
> 12. 128.197.41.42 5.0% 20 113.4 112.5 102.0 120.2
> 5.2

There is some very strange data there. Route numbers 3, 9 and 11 make
no sense, and also the latency to your own router (192.168.1.254 I assume) is
very high.

Here mine:
$mtr --report-cycles=20 buphy.bu.edu --report --no-dns 1000
HOST: ferrets4me Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev

  1. 10.0.0.138 0.0% 20 1.6 1.4 1.1 1.7 0.2
  2. 194.109.5.227 0.0% 20 20.4 20.7 19.6 22.9 0.9
  3. 194.109.7.129 0.0% 20 20.4 23.6 19.5 42.7 7.1
  4. 194.109.5.10 0.0% 20 31.9 25.2 19.6 101.1 18.1
  5. 195.69.144.124 5.0% 20 21.6 48.7 19.9 202.4 60.5
  6. 130.117.0.241 0.0% 20 20.4 46.5 19.8 191.5 55.9
  7. 154.54.6.141 0.0% 20 102.3 131.5 102.1 287.2 62.3
  8. 154.54.7.57 0.0% 20 106.8 148.9 105.8 320.5 74.0
  9. 38.112.23.118 0.0% 20 106.8 117.5 106.0 222.8 33.4
  10. 192.54.224.70 5.0% 20 111.5 113.5 111.5 134.9 5.3
  11. 128.197.254.121 0.0% 20 111.6 130.8 110.8 493.8 85.4
  12. 128.197.254.178 0.0% 20 112.5 112.2 111.6 113.3 0.4
  13. 128.197.41.42 5.0% 20 129.3 122.8 113.7 129.4 5.0

As you can see we are probably reasonably closeby geographically, because the
routes (almost) match from number 5 downward.

Can you try the same thing, but with lower packetsize values?

> #tcpdump -i eth0 tcp port 80 -c 10 #
> tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol
> decode
> listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
> 17:09:17.719170 IP Knoppix.config.39376 > www.opensuse.org.http: S
> 2214996622:2214996622(0) win 5520 <mss 1380,sackOK,timestamp 3835429
> 0,nop,wscale 7>
> 17:09:17.907610 IP www.opensuse.org.http > Knoppix.config.39376: S
> 2194234301:2194234301(0) ack 2214996623 win 6144 <mss 1380,wscale
> 0,nop>
…]
> OK,timestamp 1412139162 3836791,nop,wscale 7>
> 10 packets captured
> 11 packets received by filter
> 0 packets dropped by kernel

That looks normal to me.

> also i should say that i can ssh to the SuSE11 box from my suSE10 box
> (and the reverse) and that some mozilla pages load: I thought at first
> that they were just stored locally during installation but i can access
> them through Konqueror as well.
> I find the whole thing very mysterious and way beyond my capabilities
> to fix…

TCP/IP issues are far from the easiest things to debug.

> any help is very appreciated
> thanks
>
>
> the knoppix hostname is an unfortunate side effect of the knoppix live
> cd :frowning:

No worries.
Theo

hi,
#mtr --report-cycles=20 buphy.bu.edu --report --no-dns 200
HOST: Knoppix Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev

  1. 192.168.1.254 0.0% 20 92.6 70.4 8.2 108.2 32.5
  2. 78.86.160.1 0.0% 20 15.2 19.7 15.2 33.2 5.4
  3. 10.1.2.161 90.0% 20 14.5 14.8 14.5 15.1 0.4
  4. 213.161.78.221 10.0% 20 14.5 14.2 13.8 14.6 0.2
  5. 195.66.224.185 5.0% 20 14.8 14.8 14.4 17.1 0.6
  6. 130.117.0.185 5.0% 20 94.3 94.7 93.8 97.9 0.9
  7. 38.112.23.118 80.0% 20 94.5 95.7 94.0 100.1 2.9
  8. 192.54.224.70 15.0% 20 96.1 97.1 95.3 114.0 4.4
  9. 128.197.254.121 80.0% 20 95.5 100.1 95.2 114.4 9.6
  10. 128.197.254.178 15.0% 20 95.2 96.1 95.2 102.3 1.6
  11. 128.197.41.42 80.0% 20 108.5 107.0 104.3 109.7 2.5

my SuSE10 box that connects normally gives

mtr --report-cycles=20 buphy.bu.edu --report --no-dns 200

HOST: linux Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev

  1. 192.168.1.254 0.0% 20 91.9 70.7 2.8 106.9 37.5
  2. 78.86.160.1 0.0% 20 16.6 16.7 14.8 22.5 2.1
  3. 10.1.2.161 90.0% 20 14.5 14.5 14.5 14.5 0.0
  4. 213.161.78.221 10.0% 20 14.3 15.1 13.7 22.6 2.4
  5. 195.66.224.185 0.0% 20 14.0 14.7 14.0 15.7 0.4
  6. 130.117.0.185 0.0% 20 94.4 94.8 94.3 98.1 0.8
  7. 38.112.23.118 95.0% 20 94.7 94.7 94.7 94.7 0.0
  8. 192.54.224.70 0.0% 20 95.6 95.6 95.0 96.2 0.3
  9. 128.197.254.121 95.0% 20 95.1 95.1 95.1 95.1 0.0
  10. 128.197.254.178 0.0% 20 95.4 96.4 94.8 106.8 2.6
  11. 128.197.41.42 95.0% 20 109.7 109.7 109.7 109.7 0.0

thanks

the knoppix hostname is an unfortunate side effect of the knoppix live cd

I don’t understand this part. How come the knoppix live CD changed your hostname? Also, is it pure openSUSE install or a mix up? Have you ever compiled your kernel?

hi,
no I have never compiled a kernel (and have not a clue how:) ), it is a pure suse install and the knoppix live cd registers the name in my router; ( i have to login to the router to change it; changing it locally eg with yast does not affect the router setting–but it is the least of my problems right now). i have noticed the same behaviour with the ubuntu live cd as well but not with suse, fedora, openbsd or opensolaris.
thanks

Yea, I understood. The DHCP is automatically assigning the hostname for you.
I asked about the “kernel compilation” because, after going through the post, things are not looking “normal” to me! You are receiving network packets but I don’t understand what is happening after that.

To make sure that it is not a resolver issue, comment out the nameserver at the end of your /etc/resolv.conf, which appears to be in your lan and, add 1 or 2 nameservers of your ISP an maybe one open DNS: 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220.
https://www.opendns.com/start/

hi,
no difference :frowning:
i changed the resolv.conf and did ifdown/ifup to restart DHCP. I did not change the /etc/sysconfig/networg/config file – the instructions in the link are not clear to me.
thanks

gopikp wrote:
> hi,
> #mtr --report-cycles=20 buphy.bu.edu --report --no-dns 200
> HOST: Knoppix Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst
> StDev
> 1. 192.168.1.254 0.0% 20 92.6 70.4 8.2 108.2
32.5
…]
> 9. 128.197.254.121 80.0% 20 95.5 100.1 95.2 114.4
> 9.6
> 10. 128.197.254.178 15.0% 20 95.2 96.1 95.2 102.3
> 1.6
> 11. 128.197.41.42 80.0% 20 108.5 107.0 104.3 109.7
> 2.5
>
> my SuSE10 box that connects normally gives
> # mtr --report-cycles=20 buphy.bu.edu --report --no-dns 200
> HOST: linux Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst
> StDev
> 1. 192.168.1.254 0.0% 20 91.9 70.7 2.8 106.9
> 37.5
…]
> 9. 128.197.254.121 95.0% 20 95.1 95.1 95.1 95.1
> 0.0
> 10. 128.197.254.178 0.0% 20 95.4 96.4 94.8 106.8
> 2.6
> 11. 128.197.41.42 95.0% 20 109.7 109.7 109.7 109.7
> 0.0

So both have strange path losses and high latencies, but the packet size
doesn’t seem to make a difference.
Is there any chance you can swap your router over for another one? There
should not be a 100ms latency between your PC and that device, so it
could be an indication of trouble.
Also have you checked the cabling from the telco access point to the
router and from the router to the internal switch or your PC?
Otherwise, if all else fails, ask your ISP or telco to run a test on
the line.

Theo

hi,
I have 3 other computers (2XPs, 1 suse10) connected to the router and my connection is pretty fast. I routinely download movies in less than 10-15 min. Also I use the particular cable in my laptop often and the connection is fast. The knoppix/openBSD/opensolaris Live CDs connect with good speed. I do not see why it should be a router problem.
thanks

note from the mtr man page:
“Some modern routers give a lower priority to ICMP ECHO packets than to other network traffic. Consequently, the reliability of these routers reported by mtr will be significantly lower than the actual reliability of these routers.”