SUSE Linux on an HP Mini Netbook?

A few months ago, I got one of these and it is great for travel. I had to buy Norton for it and now the trial MS Office has expired which burns me. MS Windoze 7 Light is an adventure plus all the other bundled useless (to me) HP stuff.

I use SUSE Linux 11.2 on my main mail/internet desktop and I like it a lot so I have been thinking about swapping the hard drive out of the HP Mini and loading 11.2.

Has anybody done this? I’ve searched but haven’t turned up any threads about this. I’m a newbie so maybe I need to be pointed?

Maybe there is a more suitable Linux distribution but I only know SUSE and am ok with it.

My HP is a Mini 210-1000 if that is relevant.

Thanks.

I have gnome suse 11.3 running on an Eee, that would be very similar to your HP; it works fine

put whatever distro you wish on it!

You imply putting a new hard drive on your HP: if you mean that, many would suggest just installing a linux distro in addition; or on top of the existing OS;

I have copied an opensuse .iso to a USB stick by this method

SDB:Live USB stick - openSUSE

they now offer an easy way; I have used the “hard” way several times, and it goes fine

so using gtparted one could “shrink” the existing win7 and create a new partition for linux; or just let linux occupy the whole driver

Thank you. Good to hear you are running suse on a netbook.
Been there, done that, many times on desktop machines with dual and even triple boots but I think that the overhead of carrying around Win 7 and Linux probably won’t be worth it or necessary on a netbook. I wanted to have a larger disk in the Mini anyway, hence the disk swap. The new space would all be available for Linux.

thanks;

you seem very organised and well briefed; and know what you want to do;

there are various lightweight desktop options eg LXDE

LXDE - openSUSE

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=(http://en.opensuse.org/Xfce)

Gnome isn’t the fastest kid on the block on the Eee; the OpenSuse 11.3 has been good as it was happy with rt3090 card … earlier versions were not plug and play

I recently had problems installing SUSE on an Acer Aspire One, and I recall finding reports of others with similar issues on HP Minis, so I’ll share that you may have problems with the touchpad. It’s probably made by Elantech. If the Mini happens to also have an equally common broadcom wireless card it gets really tricky… If find you have this problem check out this post and this one. They describe my struggles with that very common combination of hardware and end up with the solutions I found.

Hint: the quickest way to find out if you’ll have this issue is to check Device Manager before you delete Windoze. If the touchpad is an Alps or Synaptics not an Elantech disregard this post.

Thanks.
No plan to delete Windoze but to remove the disk. Install would be on a new disk. I will look at what I have in the HP Mini for the touchpad and the wireless…

I run full KDE on an HP Mini 110, which is less powerful that your 210. It works
fine, except for the touchpad. Within the time I had available, I was unable to
disable tapping. I think this is a hardware problem as it also affects Windows
7. My solution is to use an old USB touchpad that was on the shelf and disable
the built-in touchpad. This solution works OK.

I have a USB CD driver that I used for installation with the NET install CD.

On 11/06/2010 08:06 PM, caprus wrote:
>
> Hint: the quickest way to find out if you’ll have this issue is to
> check Device Manager before you delete Windoze. If the touchpad is an
> Alps or Synaptics not an Elantech disregard this post.

My touchpad is made by Synaptics, not Elantech.

The wireless on the HP Mini 110 is a Broadcom BCM4312 (PCI ID 14e4:4315), which
is handled by b43, not with brcm80211 or wl the way the BCM4313 is. Initially,
there was a problem with b43 on this device, which is why I have it. Broadcom
relocated to location of the SPROM which caused the machine to hang whenever b43
was loaded. I was working with John Linville from Red Hat, who is the wireless
maintainer. Between his busy schedule and the difficulties of remote debugging,
we made little progress, and I asked if he could loan me the machine. By the
time it actually happened, the loan became permanent.

I’ve got that with my non-netbook laptop. The problem you’ll run across if you boot into Windows for whatever reason, will be all the updates you’ll have to endure! The longer the time it is shut off, the more you’ll have to get done!

Unless you can get the adapters to clone the disk or partition with Windows into an image file (via Clonezilla) and then if you want Windows back you just reverse the process.

Thanks lwfinger. I checked. My HP Mini has the Synapics touchpad so that’s ok.

The network adapter is called “Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN” in Device Manager. I don’t see the designation BCM4312 but in the Device Manager details for this device I see PCI\VEN_14E4DEV_4315 so I’m guessing that it is the same problem device huh?

So are you saying that I go suse, I will be having issues with the wireless?

Thanks

Provided you already add packman repo, try this:-
zypper in broadcom-wl broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop

It works for my HP Mini 110, run with opensuse 11.3 (gnome)

On 11/07/2010 05:06 AM, powerw00t wrote:
>
> georgeinacton;2249413 Wrote:
>> Thanks lwfinger. I checked. My HP Mini has the Synapics touchpad so
>> that’s ok.
>>
>> The network adapter is called “Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN” in Device
>> Manager. I don’t see the designation BCM4312 but in the Device Manager
>> details for this device I see PCI\VEN_14E4DEV_4315 so I’m guessing that
>> it is the same problem device huh?
>>
>> So are you saying that I go suse, I will be having issues with the
>> wireless?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Provided you already add packman repo, try this:-
> zypper in broadcom-wl broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop
>
> It works for my HP Mini 110, run with opensuse 11.3 (gnome)

Early versions of the kernel in openSUSE 11.3 did not handle the 14e4:4315
device because of the problem I described above. As I also stated, that is not
fixed for the updated versions. All you need to do is install the firmware (once).

As stated by powerw00t, you can use the wl package, but be aware that this is
not open-source (if that bothers you). In addition, wireless will break after
EVERY kernel update until you load the appropriate package from packman. The b43
driver will always be current as it is open source and a part of the kernel.

The bug noted above may keep the distribution media from booting. If that
happens, add ‘brokenmodules=ssb’ to the Options line in the GRUB menu. After you
use a wired connection to update the system after distribution, then your
wireless will be OK.

OK, thanks All! I’ll be a week or two because I have to get the new HD and figure out how to get the original one out of the HP Mini. I’ll report back when I’ve gotten that far.