post with a “Please, after reading the stickies at the tops of the
appropriate forums (install, hardware, applications, etc) and the
getting started documentation referenced at the bottom of the distro
download page I still need a little help on a few problems that I
couldn’t find answers to by using the forums wonderful search engine…”

maybe, if you do that we will forgive you for being such a giant pain
in the rear!

palladium

You must be fantastic with this stuff, “I can build from out of several cardboard boxes a new Computer,”. When I try building computers out of cardboard boxes they never seem to work beyond booting them across the room. Indeed sometimes they halt and catch fire if they if they get too close to the wood stove. Now I have had some marginal success with computers built from Lego blocks and really good one built from old tuna fish cans (this one was great at networking and cat liked it, cat menu.lst).

I am glad that it is just a momentary pause for you whilst you gather yourself for a more methodical approach. I still think from what I read that you are not up on the Basics though your advanced knowledge may be great.

Happy New Year!

A VERY BIG Thank you to MalcolmLewis.

Completely painless, a stress free one click install of Dazuko followed by a painless reinstall of Avira Antivirus software.

It works and continues to work on a restart too.

Fantastic, thats one very big obstacle / stumbling block resolved. Just need to create one or a couple of bash scripts now to automate the scanning of customer data on request and sorted, i can handle that.

Just two more big stumbling blocks to resolve now and i can work towards decommissioning my old box and going live with my new box.

I still need to get K3B sorted and i will need an simple colour Ethernet printer bought and running. Oh not looked at Claws mail or Thunderbird yet but not expecting any problems with then, fingers crossed.

Again a huge thank you to all who have helped and left comments but more specifically MalcolmLewis for his one click install of Dazuko that has resolved my biggest problem thus far.

Mark

I installed it, and it all just works.

Hi
Your welcome, but also bigger thanks go to the packager :slight_smile:

I use claws-mail (also use it to access these forums) I’m running 3.7.3
which I build my own version on OBS, just some of the stuff removed
(ldap etc) added in some better tray icons and a patch for the message
id which was needed on some usenet servers.

PS there is a ‘rep’ button if you feel so inclined :wink:

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.39-0.3-default
up 2 days 16:44, 3 users, load average: 0.27, 0.14, 0.17
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

Worst errors in assembly of hardware components I have seen were in Dell desktops. In one case, each hard drive was enclosed in a plastic box. And the hard drives were heating up quite a lot in those times even when beeing cooled with fans.

However, in my opinion, the situation with Dell hardware has improved recently.

I find the Dell PC’s pre-installed with Linux to be quite good. I have had no troubles with mine at all. I have the Insperon 530N. http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/corporate/environ/comply/insp_dt_530.pdf

I also find that taking a computer designed and built for Windows and putting Linux on it tends to be more problematic. This is because of the proprietary hardware and drivers. The “vendor lock in” as it were.

The rule of thumb should be, no matter what operating system your going to, check the hardware compatibility list. Make sure that the hardware you have will work with the operating system.

As to the rest of the rant, users need to understand that when coming to a new operating system, they need to allow themselves time to get used to it. The user needs to understand that the operating system is not what they are used to, and will do things differently.

I find the repositories quite convenient compared to Windows. In Linux you just load up a repository into the Software Manager, and then browse or search for what you want. In Windows, you search the web to find the app. I was able to install antivir with no problems. It didn’t throw conflicts at me. It didn’t try to remove App-Armor.

This rant is really about the user not understanding what they got in to, and not understanding Linux and how it works. I understand the frustration of this. Starting out and not understanding anything about this. But the OP also needs to understand, and give himself time to learn the operating system, instead of blaming the operating system. By asking questions, the community could have helped resolve the various issues, and helped him learn Linux with out all the aggravation.

I believe Dell computers are assembled at different plants around the world, and some of these plants have different/superior quality control than others. Often the same model laptop may be assembled at more than one plan, and the laptop assembled at plant-a may have superior construction/quality applied than the same model laptop assembled at plant-b.

Why were you intalling WinXP on your Dell 1537? Surely it was packaged with Vista and surely that worked fine.

lol ! rotfl!

Unfortunately Vista did not work well for my wife.

At home, I do not use MS-Windows myself, when in summer 1998 I switched from Win95 to using Linux full time on my home PC(s). But my wife is a big winXP fan, and when I selected the Dell Studio 1537 as my laptop to purchase (in Nov-2008) she noted she wanted Vista on it so she could trial Vista.

Shortly after we obtained the laptop, I successfully installed openSUSE-11.1 on it, with a dual Vista/openSUSE-11.1 boot. Other than the tricky part to downsize Vista’s hard drive space from all 250 GB on the hard drive to about 70GB, the openSUSE-11.1 install was fairly easy. Things mostly worked WELL. I did have to work with the alsa developer/packager to sort the audio, but given this laptop (with its codec) was relatively new, that is to be expected. The alsa developer (who is also an openSUSE Linux packager) had a fix within a week, available for me to install. That rapid response in itself speaks VOLUMES of the QUALITY of support that is available for openSUSE.

But back to the topic, within a few weeks the Vista wireless connection refused to work on the Internet (it worked on the LAN). Despite multiple calls to Dell support, the wireless could not be made to work with the Internet (it worked with the LAN) with Vista. My wife spent many (dozen’s) of hours fretting/trying to get Vista wireless to work. The only solution was to ship the laptop back to Dell, but openSUSE-11.1 worked fine with the wireless, and shipping back to Dell would be “dropping the ball”. Why ship off a laptop with a perfectly functioning operating system (openSUSE Linux), which by the way works with the wireless on both LAN and Internet, when an operating system many people are unhappy with does not work well?

So one year later, in Dec-2009, after the 1 year warantee had expired, my wife gave me the orders to remove Vista for WinXP. Now I cautioned her that Dell do NOT support winXP on this laptop, but they do support Windows 7 on this laptop, and maybe would she want to trial that ? No was her answer. I suggested this (windows7) to her many times, and **NO !! ** was her answer. She was fed up with Microsoft’s latest and greatest operating system attempts, and she wanted her winXP that she likes. And she wanted winXP in a direct boot (and not in a Virtual Box session, which by the way I had installed and had functioning well in Dec-2008). I should add my wife is NOT a Linux fan.

Ergo, winXP went on that laptop with a dual Boot between winXP and openSUSE-11.1.

I have not YET installed openSUSE-11.2 on this laptop, as I have concerns about the performance and functionality of both the openGL and the proprietary ATI graphic drivers with the 2.6.31 kernel. openSUSE-11.1 works well, and I see no need to swith (to 11.2) at this time on that laptop.

Something does not make sense here since I too have a Dell laptop purchased in May 2007, and both Vista and Win 7 work fine on it. Why didn’t you return it if the wireless card quit working? Are there known flaws with this laptop’s hardware?

I found a site which devotes alot to your laptop:

Download Dell Studio 1535 Windows XP Drivers | Get Pc Memory

I think you missed some key parts of post. Wireless DID work for my wife on our LAN for Vista. But she could not get out on the Internet with Vista.

openSUSE Linux worked on both the LAN and Internet with wireless.

Apologies, but your statement strikes me as the statement of a user with MS-Windows background, with less Linux than Windows experience. That laptop works well with OpenSUSE Linux. Why on earth would I send back to Dell a laptop with a perfectly functioning openSUSE, because Vista does not work?? No way. Absolutely, NO WAY !! That would be dropping the ball. SERIOUSLY dropping the ball.

If my wife could not get Dell on the phone support (and she called many times) to get that wireless working on the web with Vista (when it works fine with openSUSE), then too bad. Seriously. Too bad.

Would you send a laptop back to Dell because Linux did not work if Vista worked ? I do not think so. Well I would not do the same for Vista if Linux works.

I’m sensing a double standard here.

Thanks! I used that site last week to get the XP drivers to help my wife setup the laptop under XP.

I might add, wireless on this Dell Studio 1537 laptop works fine under WinXP for both our LAN and Internet (just like it works for openSUSE-11.1).

The problem was wireless with Vista ONLY worked for the LAN and not for the Internet. If you search on the web for those symptoms, you will get dozens (ok hundreds) of hits from users (with different hardware) with similar Vista problems, with many different solutions. Dell with all their MS-Windows expertise could not sort the Vista problem. It was not hardware. It was Vista.

I’m not an MS-Windows user. I left MS-Windows in 1998 and so this MS-Windows stuff is all my wife’s ball game. And she struck out with Vista.

Hi, I use a Dell desktop PC and an Advent laptop, both despised hardware items apparently (see other rants) - but wait, what’s this I hear from the dual boot XP machine - Silent bloody night, that’s what. A Christmas comment which will look pretty daft in a few month’s time!

Windows and the sound-card hardware maker (forgoten the name from boredom) do not work despite spending three hours trawling the net and their own sites for the drivers, and yet, when I did an internet download update to 11.1/KDE4.2 on the laptop the sounda card is fine. So too is the wireless dongle and the volume up and down buttons - all things which XP could not manage…

As this is a soapbox and not a technical reply, could I suggest this subject for a Windoze or Micro$oft forum “Does anything just install and work?” NO IT DOES NOT.

Cheers.

actually I have been a hobbyist of linux since 1998 and enjoy linux quite a bit; my point about returning the equipment to Dell, even though linux worked fine with it, was that you bought a laptop with Vista pre-installed, and thus you paid for a Vista laptop and believe me, I would say 150-200 USD of the retail cost was for Vista, thus if Vista does not work as advertised, you wasted your money and you enabled Dell and Redmond to sell you an inferior combination; you could have gone with a linux hardware retailer and not even invested in Vista period; wouldn’t that way have made more sense for you?

That is a valid point.

My wife and I discussed this BEFORE we purchased the laptop (in some “what if” scenarios) and also again when the problem occured.

In essence, as part of my search for Laptop’s, I went looking for a Laptop with NO OS installed. We found this same laptop, a Dell Studio 1537 with Ubuntu. Guess what ! It cost more to obtain with Ubuntu, than it did with Vista. Same laptop. Same configuration.

So our view was, and still is, there is no $100 to $150 US for Vista. If we purchased the laptop without Vista we would pay even more.

This has been debated many times on our forum, where many have asked, how can this be? Why did a mostly free Ubuntu on a PC cost more than Vista on a PC (where Vista also comes with many other trial/crippled applications). The view is, and I believe one can find references to this on the web, is the supplier of 3rd party software will pay computer company’s like Dell money to put trial versions of their 3rd party MS-Windows compatible applications on a Dell PC running with Vista. That offsets the price of Vista to be such that Vista in fact costs nothing, and it pays Dell to put Vista on the laptop. Dell do not get that money if they put Ubuntu on a PC.

Hence there was no $100 to $150 being paid for Vista from our view.

Plus, if we send the laptop back to Dell, they could wipe the hard drive and there goes my configured openSUSE-11.1 install. Sure, I could get it back fully configured in 2 to 3 hours of work. But you know what? I can make more than $100 to $150 in 2 to 3 hours at work. So its not worth my time to re-install openSUSE.

Dell can fix it by on-call support.

Now if we could have found the laptop at a cheaper price with Ubuntu, we would have purchased it. I still was tempted to purchase it to “send a message” via my wallet to Dell. But when my wife considered it, and it came to a choice of an expensive laptop with Ubuntu (which I would IMMEDIATELY replace with openSUSE) or a cheaper laptop with Vista, my wife noted she wanted to trial Vista. … at which point I agreed but I also noted, if Vista breaks, but Linux (openSUSE works) there is no sending the laptop back, only on call over the phone support from Dell.

She agreed to that BEFORE the laptop purchase.

… also … one last note, … I have friends who have “fiddled now and then” with Linux as a second partition or second PC with Linux, occasionally booting to it since 1998 or earlier. Frankly, they do not know Linux at all. Not at all. Their exposure is too brief because they spend almost all their time in MS-Windows. I have been using Linux full time since 1998. No MS-Windows at home for me. Which is why I am pathetic with MS-Windows but also a solid average user with Linux. There is a BIG difference there between full time use, and having it installed and an occasional boot.

*… also … one last note, … I have friends who have “fiddled now and then” with Linux as a second partition or second PC with Linux, occasionally booting to it since 1998 or earlier. Frankly, they do not know Linux at all. Not at all. Their exposure is too brief because they spend almost all their time in MS-Windows. I have been using Linux full time since 1998. No MS-Windows at home for me. Which is why I am pathetic with MS-Windows but also a solid average user with Linux. There is a BIG difference there between full time use, and having it installed and an occasional boot. *

Actually you do not know me at all and from 2004-2007, my only laptop was a Dell 17" model with Linux as its only OS; I am not a shell script guru but I can get around linux, solaris, OS/X, MS, and HP-UX no problem; what is the deal with linux purists that they see regular users of MS as goobers and not bona fide enough to comment on linux issues whatsoever?

Probably because a lot of the comments coming from MS users are out in left field when it comes to Linux.

I have seen many MS users buy some obscure hardware for MS OS, where they get a driver for MS from the manufacturer of that obscure hardware. Then they install Linux and rant because Linux does not support it.

Now ONLY the manufacturer of the hardware provides the driver, and the fact that Microsoft also does not provide drivers never enters into their view point. But they expect Linux MUST else Linux is not ready for prime time.

Many MS users have no idea as to the concept of opensource free software. They consider it the same as shareware or freeware (where code is hidden). They have no concept that the philosophy of open source free software drives at a fundamental level how Linux is structured and why many things are the way they are.

And then they post rants that make no sense given how Linux is put together.

With viewpoints like that, that is WHY many long in the tooth Linux users have a view that many MS users do not know enough to comment on Linux issues

Stereotyping is the cause. Like you yourself engage in with your statement about "Linux purists"sic.

One must remember that you are judged by the company you keep. So those who keep MS company are judged by the totality of that companies practices and the consumers of it. A good reputation is hard to get and easy to destroy.