Suse/BT connection problem

I cut my teeth on Suse 6.4 and stayed with it until it Suse switched to Yast2 and Grub - couldn’t get it to work on my old Dell. Since then I have tried all the more popular distros and currently use Mint 15 and 17, Debian, Trisquel and Ubuntu Notebook on two desktops, a laptop and a notebook. All have no problem linking to a BT broadband router or a Netgear link through the household electricity supply. The only thing I ever have to supply is the BT wireless key (WPA). For some three years I have tried Suse live OSs on the cover dvds of LinuxFormat and LinuxUser and not been able to connect to the internet with any of them. Could someone with experience of connecting to a HomeHub2 please advise me on how Suse differs from all the other distros. Apart from it asking for information I’ve never seen before I am particularly puzzled when it tells me the router is fine, yet the one question it doesn’t ask is for my wireless key. How does it know? I’ve even tried typing the key into the password box in the hope there is something lost in translation! I spent most of yesterday (clue there, retirement, the old fool is loosing his marbles) reading and trying ideas from this particular forum to no avail.
TIA

Ken

Create a new user
Login with it and see if the problem remains

Assuming you are using KDE, have you tried clicking on the fan shaped icon in the system tray? This lists the available Wireless Connections. Selecting Manage Connections allows you to add the wireless key. There is also a system option which means it will connect whatever user is logged in.

Well I have created a new user but he is also unable to use Firefox or Kmail.

Yes I’m using KDE, my main reason for trying Suse again since I use Digikam and it seems to fit better into a kde based distro. Clicking on the kickstart button and choosing Applications I can’t see anything that I would call a fan, the nearest is a gear wheel also labelled applications which gets me nowhere. Last night roaming round Yast I did find a list of applications which included three pop items. All the items in the list were switched off and when I tried to switch some on there was an invitation to download which then couldn’t connect to server. I’m minded to try a re-install using a download direct from Open Suse.

Thanks for looking.

Ken

Well I’ve tried a live copy of suse 13.1 and it searched for a wirelss connection, found BT, asked for a password and failed to connect, When I went back and provided the wireless key in the password box it immediately connected and stored the key in the wallet. There is clearly a translation problem here and a confusion, since when I tried to get email the wallet was providing the wireless key instead of my password and BT was refusing to play. However progress of sorts but I dislike having an internet connection while installing since it encourages all sorts of unwanted stuff being installed by some distros. Bit the bullet and did a new installation while connected.

Quick and problem free using my preferred partitions. Restarted, completed configuration, logged in and no wireless connection. Found a cable and connected directly to the modem. No connection. Have spent the last half hour going through configure proceedures for two usb wireless dongles and the built in wireless and wired devices and still dead even when liberally scattering the wireless key whenever there was a likely looking box.

Still hoping for a BT using fairy godmother :))

But progress on another front. This forum lists me as a newcomer. Four days ago It refused to let me login because it didn’t recognise my username and when I tried to rejoin it insited both my email address and username was already taken! It occured to me to go back to the boss and I asked Novell to confirm my username and it let me login. From there I went to Suse and it accepted my username and password. At the bottom of the Suse website one can click on OpenSuse and get into these forums. Over the last four days I have had to use that route in because OpenSuse wouldn’t accept my username but now it has suddenly relented and I am persona grata. But it still thinks I’m a new boy.

Ken

Sounds like you are confused to be honest

If there is a wireless signal and you are not connected via Ethernet, an icon will appear towards the right hand side of the systray on the bottom right of the screen. I realised the fan icon appears if the Oxygen theme is selected. You may be using a different theme and the icon may be different. If you are connected to the Ethernet an RJ45 icon appears with the Oxygen theme but this still gives access to the list of wireless connections.

On 2014-11-01 15:26, cbuffer wrote:
>
> Well I’ve tried a live copy of suse 13.1 and it searched for a wirelss
> connection, found BT, asked for a password and failed to connect, When
> I went back and provided the wireless key in the password box it
> immediately connected and stored the key in the wallet. There is clearly
> a translation problem here and a confusion,

Translation? You are not using English? If you are using English, there
is no translation involved.

I assume that “BT” stands for British Telecom, so you would be normally
installing in English, right?

> However progress of sorts but I dislike
> having an internet connection while installing since it encourages all
> sorts of unwanted stuff being installed by some distros. Bit the bullet
> and did a new installation while connected.

You do not need to have Internet while installing the initial system. I
don’t. And enabling the wireless during the installation has always been
problematic. And if you do manage it, then it often will not be
recognized after installation. Some issues have been corrected, some recur.

> Quick and problem free using my preferred partitions. Restarted,
> completed configuration, logged in and no wireless connection. Found a
> cable and connected directly to the modem. No connection. Have spent
> the last half hour going through configure proceedures for two usb
> wireless dongles and the built in wireless and wired devices and still
> dead even when liberally scattering the wireless key whenever there was
> a likely looking box.

Having a cable connected and trying wifi gives problems. One or the other.

> But progress on another front. This forum lists me as a newcomer. Four

There is another subforum here for those issues.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

Yes that’s true! Yesterday I installed the same copy of Suseopen on an early 64 bit desktop situated in part of the house which gets a very poor signal from the modem, but is next to a netgear wireless extender. When the restart occured up came connection to Netgear and the offer of alternative connections to Homehub, BT Wifi and BT Wifi with phon. This is what happens with every other distro I’ve tried (and I try something different almost monthly) here where I’m next to the the modem. Suse is just sitting there with an offer to switch on networking and then offers a greyed out window for every option other than VPN.

To John Hudson - Yes I am using Oxygen. With or without ethernet all I see is a triangle which when clicked shews an option to click on Networking as above.

What really puzzles me is that choosing the live version on booting, to get internet connection all I am asked for is the password. This is where I suggest there is a translation error. If I type in my password, registered with BT for emails, nothing works. Ditto if I use a user password. If I type the wireless key for WPA the connection occurs instantly. As I understand it this is an encription generator not a password. But with the installed version I have to switch on and set up starting proceedures for network hardware. One of the thigs I’m asked for is the telephone number of the ISP, not something BT provides and the wizard wont accept anything else. I’ve tried offering my own telephone number to no avail.

Thanks for your comments.

Ken

[QUOTE=robin_listas;2672533]On 2014-11-01 15:26, cbuffer wrote:

> There is clearly
> a translation problem here and a confusion,

Translation? You are not using English? If you are using English, there
is no translation involved.

See my response to caf4926. I believe much of the documentation comes from German. My administrator handbook for Suse 6.4 is extremely confusing in places!

As I wrote I don’t normally connect to the net while installing. This was an exception to take care of the possibility that something was missing from the dvd which the installer might be able to download

Having a cable connected and trying wifi gives problems. One or the other.

I was trying wireless and cable separately and together simply to try all possibilities.

Regards, Ken

On 2014-11-03 13:06, cbuffer wrote:

> What really puzzles me is that choosing the live version on booting, to
> get internet connection all I am asked for is the password. This is
> where I suggest there is a translation error. If I type in my password,
> registered with BT for emails, nothing works.

Why do you do that? It is obviously asking for your wifi password.

Why would the network manager ask for your email password? If it does,
your computer has been hacked and it is after your private data, that’s
what I would think immediately!

I just tried on my laptop, told it to try connect to my neighbour’s
router instead of mine, and it says (gtk):

]> Authentication required by Wi-Fi Network.
]> Password or encryption keys are required to access the Wi-Fi
network movistar…xxx

What’s in a name? Does it matter if it says password or whatever, when
it is obvious what it wants?

> One of the thigs I’m asked
> for is the telephone number of the ISP, not something BT provides and
> the wizard wont accept anything else. I’ve tried offering my own
> telephone number to no avail.

What on earth would it be asking that for??? Don’t answer that question,
yiks! Bail out or ignore!

Are you perhaps opening some web page that wants you to fill a form?

Are you perhaps trying to use DIAL-UP, ie modem? That does requires a
phone number.

Do you happen to have connected a cellular, aka mobile, phone, to your
computer when you do that?

And please forget what you remember from 6.4.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

robin_listas wrote:

“Why do you do that? It is obviously asking for your wifi password.”

Please stop and think about what I have done.

I installed OpenSuse and it wouldn’t connect to the internet either wirelessly or by ethernet. Yast shewed that none of the network devices were configured. Most of the Help icons needed network connection to deliver information. I tried to configure each device in turn. If entering the wireless key didn’t work I tried other passwords related to the machine - if something doesn’t work it is not “obvious” what is wanted.

If one of the questions when configuring a device is for the ISP telephone number, “bail out or ignore” is a pretty useless response.

How can I be opening a web page if there is no connection?

I’m not using a dial-up or a mobile phone.

Using the “live” version on the dvd gives seemless connectivity. Using the same dvd to install on another desktop in a part of the house served by a Netgear wireless extender also gives normal connectivity. No other distro has given me this problem on this machine with this modem. What I am looking for is something about a Suse installation that doesn’t like this modem and whether other users of the same modem have had problems. And why the “live” version network manager is different.

Finally, Linux is like British railways, seemingly endlessly changing but the core timetable is much the same. I shall not be throwing away my Admins book anytime soon:)

Thanks for looking,

Ken

In 13.2 I didn’t try configuring any network during install
I never do and I didn’t this time. Though the behaviour of 13.2 differs from previous releases.

Afterward it should be simple and that you use BT should not make a scrap of difference

On 2014-11-07 15:36, cbuffer wrote:

> If
> entering the wireless key didn’t work I tried other passwords related to
> the machine - if something doesn’t work it is not “obvious” what is
> wanted.

Certainly not your email password. That idea is absurd, sorry. What
about if it asked for your bank password, would you type it? Or stop and
reconsider?

> If one of the questions when configuring a device is for the ISP
> telephone number, “bail out or ignore” is a pretty useless response.

Because it is the truth. If it asks you that, you are on the wrong place.

Please!

> Finally, Linux is like British railways, seemingly endlessly changing
> but the core timetable is much the same. I shall not be throwing away
> my Admins book anytime soon:)

Well, you have to. Network in 13.2 is totally different, it uses
something called “wicked”. Also, since 11.4 or there abouts, the start
up system is no longer initd (aka system v), but systemd, which is
radically different. Since earlier, there is udev, policykit, and I
don’t remember how many components that are radically different from
what we had on 6.4.

No, you absolutely can not use the 6.4 admin guide, which I also have,
for anything serious related to 13.2.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

I can also add this comment regarding installation.

(A) If I have no Ethernet cable connected I get a network setup during the install
(B) If I connect the Ethernet I don’t get a network setup during the install

In either case, the Ethernet just works following install
I have to though, install the firmware for my Broadcom wireless.

FYI: I have installed openSUSE and other distros on BT lines without issues

And I haven’t had to do that either since the days of moving jumpers around on a hardware dial-up. That’s my point. Suse works as a live dvd and works with a Netgear extender, but doesn’t work, installed, with BT. The installation doesn’t configure any network hardware. I’m not trying to do things while Suse is installing. I’m trying to adjust things after the install has failed. If it failed to install say libre office I would install it later myself. Since it’s failed to configure network hardware I’m trying to put it right - is that such a strange thing to do? What would you do in such circumstances?

Regards,

Ken

[QUOTE=caf4926;2674338]I can also add this comment regarding installation.

(A) If I have no Ethernet cable connected I get a network setup during the install
(B) If I connect the Ethernet I don’t get a network setup during the install

In either case, the Ethernet just works following install
I have to though, install the firmware for my Broadcom wireless.

THANK YOU Mr. Administrator. That was the kick I was looking for. There was an old wifi PCI card inside my machine which I had overlooked. I removed it from the motherboard and configured the USB wifi via Yast to start up at boot and 307 updates are now downloading and I am connected to this forum from Suse. Presumably the old board was interfering in some way. It wasn’t shewing up in the Yast hardware report so I assume it was dead.

Regards,

Ken