Suse 12.1 gnome will not shutdown

I have suse 12.1 installed and i am using gnome (the newest version). When ever i try to “power off” my machine by clicking my name at the top right, then clicking power off, then power off again it shows a smaller version of my desktop background as in it doesn’t fill my monitor and it just sits there and my computer remains on. But i am no longer able to do anything i just see the picture.

Please let me know if you need anymore details, i am using the 64 bit version, and I am a complete noob.

On 2011-12-30 08:56, corbinc wrote:
>
> I have suse 12.1 installed and i am using gnome (the newest version).
> When ever i try to “power off” my machine by clicking my name at the top
> right, then clicking power off, then power off again it shows a smaller
> version of my desktop background as in it doesn’t fill my monitor and it
> just sits there and my computer remains on. But i am no longer able to
> do anything i just see the picture.

Try instead to log-off, and in the next screen, shut-off.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

That has the same result, any other ideas?

On 12/30/2011 07:26 PM, corbinc wrote:
>
> That has the same result, any other ideas?
>
>
-shutdown all open applications
-open a terminal
-type in and enter (give root pass when asked)


su -
shutdown -h now

to reboot change -h to -r


DD
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!

That has the same result as before :frowning:

why wont it shutdown?

If it helps:
I have an
intel dp45sg motherboard
intel core 2 duo e7400 cpu
intel 80 GB ssd
evga geforce gtx 570 video card

I had suse installed before and everything worked fine (same system older video card), i put windows back on my computer and installed a new video card(the one listed above) and then installed suse again and since then i have had to turn off my system with the power button on my case.

On 2011-12-30 20:06, corbinc wrote:
>
> That has the same result as before :frowning:
>
> why wont it shutdown?

Try systemV.

Create bugzilla.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I tried systemV and my system will not even start!

How/where do i do a bugzilla?

On 2011-12-30 23:56, corbinc wrote:

> I tried systemV and my system will not even start!

strange.

> How/where do i do a bugzilla?

http://en.opensuse.org/Bugzilla


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)