Suse 12.1 boot failed

I have a Toshiba laptop. I installed Suse 12.1 kde x86-64 twice. Both times, the install went through its process without error until it had to do the initial reboot. When it reboots, the boot fails as if there are no system or boot files on my hard drive. I do not understand BIOS.

(I know a lot about Linux but my knowledge is very weak when it comes to booting or hardware issues.)

Do I need a new hard drive?

What do i do?

I would appreciate ANY HELP someone may be able to offer really soon in basic non-techy English. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much…

What video card/chip do you have

Can you boot the installed OS from the install DVD?

HowTo Boot into openSUSE when it won’t Boot from the Grub Code on the Hard Drive

This could be just a mis-configuration of the grub bootloader (eg in the incorrect partition or similar).

Had same problem in my lenovo v470 with its toshiba gpt drive. I gave up and went back to win. 7 and running opensuse in a vm.

Thats it! The video card interferes with elilo or grub. Makes sense to me.

[quote="“RichardET,post:5,topic:75647”]

Thats it! The video card interferes with elilo or grub. Makes sense to me.[/QUOTE] Hi, Please have you been able to solve this problem? I an quite new to linux and I am having the same problem of not being able to boot the OS (12.1) after installation. If you have pls I’d be glad if you can share with me how you went about resolving this problem. Thanks Teslim

Not sure what the real issues are in your case, or mine for that matter - I can install OS 12.1 on a Dell Inspiron built in early 2007 no problem, but my nearly new, built in 8/2011 Lenovo V470 with its Toshiba GPT disks and its UEFI Phoenix BIOS will not accept a Linux based boot record, and failed to boot after installation; out of frustration, I spent 2 days reinstalling Win. 7 on it because I think, and by the way, I am very ignorant of GPT disk technologies, I think that Toshiba GPT disks may require a driver, which may be proprietary only to Windows at this time. I know that Linux is able to read GPT disks and others claim Lenovo UEFI based systems work with OpenSuse; my thinking right now though is I just prefer to keep the Lenovo as is and not bother with the reinstall of Linux, its just too much trouble. The VMware version of Linux on it works well, so I am sticking with that for the near term. What is the hardware in your system?

I just replaced my dead HP dv4000 laptop (which ran OpenSuse 11.4) w/o issue with a Toshiba C675-S7200 Laptop. I downloaded the x86 12.1 image, burned & booted it: Will NOT INSTALL or even let me run a LIVE version. I tried installing from the trusted 11.4 disc and same deal.

I’m guessing its a video card issue and I’m stuck (for now) with win7… which; so far is not that bad. Was dead set on XP for years, Vista turned me off from upgrading my previous laptop, but it seems MS has their s**t together with win7.

Still though; I would like to dual boot Suse… Info on laptop:

Processor: Intel Pentium B940 (2.0GHz)
Processor Core: Dual-Core
Screen Size: 17.3"
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Resolution: 1600 x 900
Display Type: HD+ TruBrite LED Backlit Display
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics (Up to 1696MB)
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1066MHz (max 8GB)
Hard Drive: 320GB (5400rpm)
Optical Drive: SuperMulti DVD±RW with Dual-Layer Support
Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
Network: 10/100 Base-T
Card Reader: 8-in-1 Multi-Card Slot (SD, SDHC, SDXC, miniSD, microSD, MS, MS Pro, MMC)
Battery: 6-Cell Lithium-Ion
Sound: DOLBY Advanced Audio
Keyboard: Standard with 10-Keypad
Pointing Device: Touchpad with Multi-Touch Control
Microphone: Integrated
Webcam: Integrated

The same 11.4 DVD/CD that worked before does not work now ? Could it be a CD/DVD burner/reader issue ?