> On 04/09/2011 11:36 PM, smartysmart34 wrote:
>> Now my question is: After having decided to ship sUSE 11.4 with a RC:
>> Will further RCs and maybe the final release of scribus be shipped by
>> the OpenSuse Update? Or does the user have to manually install a working
>> version of that software?
> that is a real good question (really it is–i have no idea why it was
> done like that)…but, since this is a forum of users helping other
> users (with almost zero participation by openSUSE developers) we don’t
> automatically have any better insight into the the decisions of what
> will be pushed via OnLine Update, and what won’t…
> best talk with the folks that make that kind of decision, they are easy
> to reach via IRC or mail list…begin here:
> AH! WAIT!! i think i see the reason RC was shipped: “Note: Newer Scribus
> version can open the older version’s file, but the opposite is not true.
> Stable Scribus 18.104.22.168 cannot open developmental Scribus 1.4.0 files.
> There is no way to convert the file back once you switch it to the newer
> branch. However, you can run both branches in parallel to test the new
> cite: http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Download
> i’ve never used Scribus, but if you have been using and have a bunch of
> work to continue, there is still access to the older (and i guess stable
> and working) 1.3.3 here:
> and this version is available in the openSUSE 11.3 repos as well:
To answer several questions:
Note, I am an openSUSE member, packager, KDE team member and a founder
I decided to ship 1.4.0.rc in 11.4 as we had expected to deliver 1.4.0
final by release date. However, we have had some crash reports on other
distros, which we now are resolving slowly, as well as a late feature
add which has triggered some other corner case bugs.
Moreover, Scribus 1.4.x is Qt4 based, not Qt3 like 22.214.171.124. From the
Scribus team’s perspective. 126.96.36.199 is history, will not receive bug
fixes and is no longer recommended to be shipped by any distro.
1.4.x has been a substantial refactoring, with over 1500 bugs and
feature requests resolved. It is fundamentally better in so many ways we
are taking weeks to prepare the release notes.
Once we have 1.4 final, a maintenance release will most certainly done
as soon as possible.
As for the bug mentioned, it is relatively minor and any crashes need to
have a back trace for us to find the issue. Sometimes, it is caused by
faulty fonts or video drivers.
Hope that helps,