Suse 11.3 won't install

Hello,

I am presently have Windows XP and Opensuse 11.2 on my computer. I can’t install 11.3. I downloaded it from the Novell site then did a Md5Sum of the ISO. That went fine. So, the ISO image is not corrupted.

Problem is that the 11.3 installation DVD doesn’t do anything when I boot the computer. I set my Bios to boot from the DVD player, but that didn’t solve the problem. Yet, the 11.2 installation DVD works fine.

I figured that maybe the DVD wasn’t burned properly, but after burning several DVD’s with different DVD burners the same problem persists. That makes me conclude that there is a problem with my desktop cumputer.

Thanks for your help.

When you browse the contents of your 11.3 DVD, what do you see?

Lots of various files and folders, or a single opensuse.iso file?

On 2010-10-12 19:36, srqty wrote:

> Problem is that the 11.3 installation DVD doesn’t do anything when I
> boot the computer. I set my Bios to boot from the DVD player, but that
> didn’t solve the problem. Yet, the 11.2 installation DVD works fine.

Check the checksum of the burned DVD.
Check the contents.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

You must burn as an iso image not just copy the iso to a disk

The last DVD that was burned (the one I am presently using) was not burned with the ISO image. We extracted the ISO before burning it to the DVD.

To answer your question. Yes, the DVD shows files and folders.

The check sum of the DVD I am using is not the same as the check sum on the download web site. I figured that it is because the DVD was burned after the ISO was extracted. Is there something wrong with my reasoning?

Before using the current DVD, I burned other DVD’s. I followed the procedure for burning ISO’s to DVD’s. I still had the same problem I am having now. The check sum’s on the DVD’s were always different from those on the download website.

I have used many different DVD burners and different software programs to do the burning. I use different computers as well to do the burning. The burned DVD’s always produce the same results, the the check sums on the burned DVD’s are never the same as the check sum on the Website.

Also, the 11.2 version sometimes requires me to insert the 11.3 DVD in order to proceed with updates. That always goes fine. Another reason to think that the burned DVD is not corrupted.

Richard

On 2010-10-14 01:06, srqty wrote:
>
> The last DVD that was burned (the one I am presently using) was not
> burned with the ISO image. We extracted the ISO before burning it to the
> DVD.

Extracted? The result can not boot.

Please read the instructions on how to burn an iso image with your preferred burner.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

srqty wrote:
> the the check sums on the burned DVD’s are never the same as the
> check sum on the Website.

then you will always have a bad install from those, do NOT even
try…as they say: Garbage in, garbage out. (aka: GIGO, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIGO)

1. check the md5sum of the downloaded iso, if it is not correct do NOT
    burn a CD/DVD from it as that will produce a known bad install disk!

2. if the iso is perfect, burn an install disk as slow as you can set
    your burner to use, and use GOOD, high quality blank media

NOTE: the blanks you might find sold 50 or 100 at a time, shrink
wrapped in plastic and stacked in a big cardboard box on a pallet at
the discount grocer and/or retailer…with a “brand” NOT like
Samsung, Sony, Memorex, Fujifilm…and VERY inexpensive…well, the
cheap ones are probably not the ones you wanna use for important
stuff, like an operating system install disk!

find quality media in your area by looking for the good stuff after
learning what the good stuff is at
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

1. boot from the disk and do this http://tinyurl.com/25ydj4a before
    install attempt…if there are ANY errors do not proceed with
    install…more (and better) info at:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Download_help
http://tinyurl.com/yhf65pv
http://tinyurl.com/2fbt7j9

DenverD
When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

Important Rules
1.Never extract the iso, always burn it as a disk image.
2.If the iso file checksum = wrong, do not burn the iso.

What programs are you using to burn the iso?
Are you using a DVD-RW or DVD-R / +R?

Thanks for your help.

I use good DVD’s they are Fujifilm DVD-R. People tell me that Verbatim is known for top quality DVD’s. Is that correct?

I now realize that I cannot extract ISO’s before burning them to the DVD. I have to burn as an ISO image.

The Md5sum of the ISO image is correct. The problem is that the check sums of the burned DVD’s are not the same as those on the download Website.

I used two different programs to burn the DVD’s: Nero and Infrarecorder. They both produce the same results.

I had the erroneous idea that once the ISO was burned to the DVD (following the proper procedure of course) it was normal for the check sum change from that on the download web site.

I will have to use another DVD burner and make sure the check sums on the burned DVD is the same as that on the download Website.

Your comments have helped me find the cause of the problem.

Thanks

That is not erroneous. It will change once burned to the DVD and it requries a special calcuation to come up with the appropraite value.

But you are supposed to check BEFORE burning to the DVD. (ie check .iso file on hard drive to that of web site). And the openSUSE DVD should also have a ‘media check’ that you can run.

Once burned if the dvd boots use the media check to check the internal constancy of the burned disk. If it will not boot then you have a serious problem with your burning software or hardware.

Thanks,

But you are supposed to check BEFORE burning to the DVD. (ie check .iso file on hard drive to that of web site). And the openSUSE DVD should also have a ‘media check’ that you can run.

Now I know that the Md5Sum changes once the ISO is burned to the DVD. I checked the Md5sum of the ISO on the hard drive BEFORE burning it to the DVD and it was the same as the Md5sum on the download site. So, the downloaded ISO is fine.

I would love to run a ‘media check’ on the openSUSE DVD. The problem is that the DVD won’t boot. When I boot up the computer, it acts likes the DVD was not even inserted, despite the fact that the BIOS are set to boot from the DVD.

Thanks for the clarification.

Note when burning, its best you burn to a high quality media (which I see you know from above) at the lowest speed your burner allows.

On 2010-10-18 19:06, oldcpu wrote:
>
> srqty;2239994 Wrote:
>> I had the erroneous idea that once the ISO was burned to the DVD
>> (following the proper procedure of course) it was normal for the check
>> sum change from that on the download web site.
> That is not erroneous. It will change once burned to the DVD and it
> requries a special calcuation to come up with the appropraite value.

Where are you getting that idea? It does not change at all. If it changes → bad burn.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Ive checked it. Its commonly recorded on the web.

If you don’t believe me, take one of your already burned openSUSE DVDs or CDs and do the calculations. You will find one just can not run the md5sum against the dvd/cd but rather special calculations are requred.

If you don’t believe me, take one of your already burned openSUSE DVDs or CDs and do the calculations. You will find one just can not run the md5sum against the dvd/cd but rather special calculations are requred.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried a Md5Sum check on my Suse 11.2 DVD which works fine. Indeed, the Md5sum was different than the one on the download website.

However, I thought it was due to the fact that the 11.2 I have on my DVD is not as recent as the 11.2 on the download Website. Note the OpenSuse is constantly making corrections and adding updates to their versions. The 11.2 version on the download Web site was created later than the 11.2 version I downloaded.

If you have any links explaining that Md5Sums change once the ISO is burned to the DVD, please send them to me.

Getting back to the main topic of discussion. I will burn the ISO (using the proper method of course) using another DVD burner, another program and another computer. I don’t plan on doing it in the near future, but when I do, I will put the results on the thread.

The comments on this thread lead me to believe that it is a hardware problem.

Thanks,

Take a look at post # 3 here: NEW Users - Suse-11.1 Pre-installation – PLEASE READ

While written for openSUSE-11.1, it also applies to 11.2, 11.3, … etc …

On 2010-10-19 06:06, oldcpu wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2240186 Wrote:
>> Where are you getting that idea? It does not change at all. If it
>> changes → bad burn.
>>
> Ive checked it. Its commonly recorded on the web.
>
> If you don’t believe me, take one of your already burned openSUSE DVDs
> or CDs and do the calculations. You will find one just can not run the
> md5sum against the dvd/cd but rather special calculations are requred.

My burns match >:-)

I use this method:

cmp --bytes=$(wc -c <IMAGEFILE) /dev/dvd IMAGEFILE

The trick is that you have to compare the exact number of bytes in the original ISO file, not more.
The “not more” is the clue, because DVDs can be padded wit zeroes on the last sector (or however
they call it on DVDs) to complete it.

(I use my own burning script)

If you do the md5sum check with k3b, it should take this into account, and the values should match, too.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Thanks for that post! Another way to do this ! :slight_smile:

On 2010-10-21 07:36, oldcpu wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2241301 Wrote:

> Thanks for that post! Another way to do this ! :slight_smile:

Somebody else told me that trick with wc, I was using another, more complex, method. And another one
told about the differing sizes of the images and the burned dvds, because before that I was getting
false “bad burn” errors.

In my case, I compare the image to the just burned dvd in the same burn script - it is less cpu
intensive and I wrote it on a slow computer. The problem with md5sum is to limit it to a certain
size, which is not possible directly. Instead, you have to read it with something else (dd,
cat…?), limit the size, and pipe it to md5sum. Which means, of course, that if you only have the
checksum value without size information (and no image file), you can not compare.

Mmmm… I wonder now if the wiki warns about this :-?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.