SuSE 11.2 install: Internet works, but internet test fails

At some point, the install process asks whether to test internet access. I replied Yes, and the test failed. Retries also failed, leading me to conclude, mistakenly, that the ethernet card was not supported by SuSE 11.2.

Finally I elected to skip the test, resigned to the loss of internet access. The install program then proceeded to access online repositories without difficulty, and I had no further difficulty accessing the internet.

So why the misleading test result?

I find that quite strange. The install test always passes for me. However I did the test on openSUSE 11.3 and not 11.2 so i don’t know if that makes a difference

If you have more than one nic (like a PCI netcard and a nic on board), YaST doesn’t necessarely pick the wright one, so the test fails in this case.

Don’t worry. I always skip the test and configure NICs as a first step after the installation has finished. Note: I use fixed IP numbers within the LAN (there is no DHCP available) and YAST has no chance to find a gateway. For this reason I disable automatic updates as well and do them manually when the system is configured.