SUSE 11.2 "hangs" randomly with Dell Dimension Desktop

I get a Permission denied message when I attempt to open /var/log/messages. Even when logged as su.

Okay. I got it. I’m looking through it now. By the way, thank you to all who are helping me with this issue. The community is the best part of Linux and openSuse!

Alright. Looking through /var/log/Xorg.0.log that I was able to retrieve from the last freeze. I found this one error (and only one):

(EE) Failed to load module "i810" (module does not exist, 0)

What can I determine about this error?

That your graphics ain’t going to work properly and as a result everything is generally ‘Jeffed’.

Have a look at this
openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users

This may not be critical … Can you post the entire /var/log/Xorg.0.log to Pastebin.com - #1 paste tool since 2002! and share here the URL where it is located.

If it were me, I would be more worried about the errors you observed during the hardware memory test.

WinXP uses different areas of memory, so when one encounters a freeze due to memory, it is not uncommon to have cases where (1) WinXP will free and Linux will NOT, or (2) Linux will freeze and WinXP will NOT … however it is my experience (possibly because I hang out in a Linux forum) that users advise of more cases where Linux freezes due to hardware memory problems.

Here it is: http://pastebin.com/wyACWvsH

I note:

(II) LoadModule: "i810"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module i810
(II) UnloadModule: "i810"
(EE) Failed to load module "i810" (module does not exist, 0) 

That does not appear to be a problem to me. I think the ‘hang’ problem is somewhere else.

Update: up until today the freeze occurred randomly (or so it seemed to me), but would always occur within one hour of it being booted. Today, I have had the machine on for at least 12 hours and it has not once “frozen”. I was puzzled by this and then I noticed that the plasma desktop folder (I think that is what that is)–the transparent box with a few icons in it–is missing. Does that mean that plasma has stopped working? If so, would that 1) show up in /var/log/messages or anywhere else? and/or 2) would plasma be the source of the problem I’ve been having?

We’re talking about KDE 4.3.1 “release 6” if that wasn’t already guessed.

Does that mean that plasma has stopped working?

No, because on a KDE4 desktop pretty much everything is Plasma; the taskbar, the wallpaper, you name it. Are you able to put widgets on your desktop?

Okay, that makes sense. Yes, I am able to add widgets and use them.

Oh, and I discovered a new error in Xorg.0.log

(EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: unknown error (null)

Whoops.

What is the output of

ps aux | grep hald

Plasma crashing has been known to cause problems, … I don’t know if it would cause a complete freeze (although it may give the ‘appearance’ of a freeze which is not a freeze). I think the place to look for plasma crash error messages may be /home/username/.xsession-errors

I am not able to check this right now. I will check it later today. I am not at that machine at this time, but I see that perhaps hal has failed in some way. Late last night I realized that while my computer had not frozen all day, my drives (usually I have a two windows partitions mounted) were no longer mounted. I did not get a chance to try to remount those drives (I had to go to sleep:)). Could it possibly be that hal was causing my problem?

Before this happened, I noticed that (without me setting it up this way) dolphin showed a drive mounted which was the partition on which I installed opensuse. That is to say, when I booted opensuse I automatically had 3 mounted drives /windowsC, /windowsD, and the one I mentioned mounted as /Volume or some such name which was the opensuse partition. Is that normal or is that a problem?

When I got home from work I ran it:

ps aux | grep hald
102        904  1.0  0.2   7076  4760 ?        Ss   17:24   0:01 /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes
root       913  0.0  0.0   3592  1232 ?        S    17:24   0:00 hald-runner
root      1006  0.0  0.0   3668  1140 ?        S    17:24   0:00 hald-addon-input: Listening on /dev/input/event0 /dev/input/event3 /dev/input/event2
root      1033  0.0  0.0   3668  1124 ?        S    17:24   0:00 hald-addon-storage: no polling on /dev/fd0 because it is explicitly disabled
102       1035  0.0  0.0   3496  1108 ?        S    17:24   0:00 hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket /var/run/acpid.socket
root      1043  0.0  0.0   3668  1140 ?        S    17:24   0:00 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/sr0 (every 2 sec)
root      1044  0.0  0.0   3668  1136 ?        S    17:24   0:00 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/sr1 (every 2 sec)
root      2461  0.0  0.0   3308   792 pts/3    S+   17:26   0:00 grep hald

I was finally able to find/view the .xsession-errors file from the last crash. I posted it at This pastebin. I see a few error messages, but didn’t know what to make of them.