suse 11.2 didn't start

I install 11.2 on AMD dual core 4200+ and 2G ram

after I enabled some effects on configure Desktop effects and when I pressed apply key the computer hang and when I restart it, it hang before login screen :frowning:

What video card? Have you installed the proprietary drivers for it?

I had that happen with my recent openSUSE-11.2 install where my PC had a Radeon HD3450 graphics (during a Linux User’s Group installation demo). My solution was to install the proprietary ATI driver, as in my case this was an incompatibility problem with the default radeonhd driver.

To install this driver, what I needed first was a working desktop, and of course the desktop froze. And this was in front of the Linux Users group (during an installation demo) so I did not want to look like a total klutz (I was already embarrassed by the freeze).

So to follow what I found worked, I recommend you re-boot direct to run level 3 (type “3” in the green boot splash menu) and then login to the full screen text menu as a regular user. Then type “su” (no quotes, enter root password) to switch users to root, and then type “yast” (no quotes) to run the yast configuration tool in a text mode. You can navigate in yast with the arrow keys, spacebar, and tab key. Then navigate to Security and Users > Users and Group Management and create a new temporary user called “joe” (or “bill” or “george” or “greg” or “bobsyouruncle” ) and then exit yast, and type “exit” to get rid of root, and type ‘exit’ to log out as your regular user. Then log in as “joe” or “bill” or “george” or “greg” or “bobsyouruncle” and once logged in type “startx”.

Once running X do NOT configure desktop effects. Instead (assuming you are using an ATI graphic hardware) download the proprietary ATI graphic driver and install it. http://en.opensuse.org/ATI_drivers Until you get the proprietary ATI graphic driver installed and you boot to it, you will not be able to use your old user account.

Once you have the proprietary graphic driver installed, you can then login again as your regular user.

There is guidance here for the proprietary graphic driver install: (note you need kernel-source, kernel-syms, linux-kernel-headers and the base development package in order to build the custom driver): ATI drivers - openSUSE

Once you have your regular user back, you can use yast to remove “joe” or “bill” or “george” or “greg” or “bobsyouruncle” .

Dear oldcpu

Thank you for your help

I followed your steps and it succeed but when I login by the old name there was no mouse pointer and there was
an notification that many effects can not be started also

I have a Radeon HD3450 video card

Tamer

There is so much I do not know about your setup, that it is very difficult to give a good recommendation.

Note you should keep your repositories to the bare minimum (which is OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman). No others. None. Only others if you REALLY REALLY know what you are doing.

Also, if you are a KDE user then there is an official update in “Update” from KDE-4.3.1 to 4.3.5. Apply that update.

You can do that easily from running yast in run level 3.

Do NOT add other KDE repositories, as they are not official and they have not had the same level of testing as the official updates, and can lead to effects (such as a mouse cursor disappearing).

Also, what graphic driver are you using ? fglrx (proprietary driver) ? radeonhd (opensource) ? radeon (opensource) ? Note the radeonhd and radeon as packaged in openSUSE-11.2 are buggy and need to be updated from a special repository (and then the repository removed after the update).

Please read post#1 and #11 in this practical theory guide:
openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users - openSUSE Forums

Dear oldcpu

thank you for your quick reply

my last reply was from windows OS
bu when I start the suse I found every thing is fine !!!
this what I found in “My Computer-Konqueror”

Current user: ****@-
System: openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64)
KDE: 4.3.5 (KDE 4.3.5) “release 0”

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
Model: Mobility Radeon HD 3450
Driver: fglrx

Thank you again for your help

by the way what the difference between Desktop-kernel and ordinary one ?:shame:

Tamer

The desktop kernel some functions switched off which are not needed on a regular desktop-system, plus it is tickless (low latency, it can even run professional audio-editing fairly well [after configuring pam]) and offers preemption.

Superb !

Yes, I see something similar with my Radeon HD 3450…

Glad to read this is finally running.