Suse 11.1, XFCE 4.4.3 won't shutdown or restart.

Pressing the shutdown or restart buttons in XFCE simply logs me out and leaves the system running.

I did some Googling and it was suggested that by default users don’t have permission to shutdown. (not sure how this is a XFCE specific problem in that case but moving on…)

I’ve taken the following advice found on this forum:

I wasn’t entirely sure how to run it, so I stuck it into a shell script and ran that with the sudo command. Needless to say it hasn’t worked.

Is there an easy “sure fire” way to fix this problem, hitting the shutdown button repeatedly to test really grates on you after a while.

BTW, Pressing the power button on the front of the system shuts it down okay.

Thanks in advance.

Are you running xfce solely in your machine?

Yes, configured that way from time of setup.

I asked because if you have gnome or kde with it you can configure the policykit authorization graphically using the gnome control center and kde system settings.

You can try using yast2 to configure who can shotdown and restart your system though if you are using gdm or kdm as your display manager. With xdm not sure about it, I have to be root to shutdown with it.

You should try in console:
visudo

as root, then in vi editor, add this line:

<user> ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/xfsm-shutdown-helper

where <user> is your logged user;
then save, and sudoers file will be modified.

It works in my suse 11.1 little time, but suddenly another time the same =( dunno what to do… hope it could works in your system forever…

Hi folks,
I had the same problem and found it was caused by installing the proprietory Nvidia driver. Replacing the Nvidia driver with the standard open source driver has solved the restart/shutdown problem for me.

Hopefully the issue with the proprietory driver can be sorted out.