Surface Pro troubles

I am very much a Linux beginner but I still want to switch from windows.
I decided to go with openSUSE because KDE looked cooler than gnome and i read about KDE connect on the homepage which looked awesome.

Now I want to install another distro that might have better touch screen controls but I cant boot to a usb drive.

My question is how do I boot from USB if I have uefi?

If I need to provide more info please let me know.

You may have to select that in the EFI boot menu. It does depend on the machine but it seem F10 or F12 are common during the actuall machine boot. Note also you may want to set the USB to be the default boot in the BIOS. Where that is depends on the Machine refer to any BIOS manual for that hardware you can find.

Note also if you plan to install another OS to dual boot then you will need free space on the drive to install to.

On Sun 23 Nov 2014 07:36:02 PM CST, rofloljklol wrote:

I am very much a Linux beginner but I still want to switch from windows.
I decided to go with openSUSE because KDE looked cooler than gnome and i
read about KDE connect on the homepage which looked awesome.

Now I want to install another distro that might have better touch screen
controls but I cant boot to a usb drive.

My question is how do I boot from USB if I have uefi?

If I need to provide more info please let me know.

Hi
Did you see this thread?
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/502637-Guide-Run-OpenSUSE-on-Surface-Pro-3-dual-boot-with-Windows!?highlight=surface+pro

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.28-4-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions.
In order to get to the EFI boot menu the system has to be turned on while the volume down button is held down and the windows usb recovery drive is plugged in.
This did not allow me to boot another drive from USB so I reinstalled windows…

As I said each machine is different and you have to read the instructions. And as a MS product they certainly can’t be expected to follow any standard :stuck_out_tongue: