Supertuxkart SUSE11.2 with slow speed

Hi,
I installed supertuxkart on my new up to date installed SUSE 11.2, KDE 4.3.1 and I’m confused about the dramatic slow speed.
Well I use an IBM Thinkpad T23, but with SUSE 11.0, KDE3.5 I’ve had no trouble with the speed, and a lot of fun with the game.
Now, with system monitor I saw that the process Xorg used approx. 80% CPU and supertuxkart only approx. 14%. Can this be an indicator for a bug or failure?
Is there anybody with an idea how I can speed up to a normal speed of the game?
THX in advance
Knaeul

There is a bit of a bug with kde4 and gl applications
I assume you’ve installed the appropriate propitiatory graphics card drivers (Nvidia etc.).
The solution is simple disable KDE4 KWin composite effects before U play a game and after that re enable them (if U need them).
Manually U can do this from the console:
to disable

**kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled false

kwin --replace**

to enable compositing

**kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled true

kwin --replace**

or U can use a plasma applet toggle-compositing:
Toggle-Compositing KDE-Look.org

hope this helps :slight_smile:

And if that doesn’t help take a look at this page:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=557537
there is a bit of a big in pulse audio that causes strange effects in games that use openal.

Thanks for your hints, but I’ve had trouble.
To install toggle-compositing I took some hours (installing cmake, make, compiler,…), solved some errors (paths,…) but I gave up at the error message "cmake … kde4_add_plugin…). Seems to be written for Ubuntu some times ago :frowning:
No trouble, I tried the first option with two commands, but also with no significant improvement.
Well, my hardware is not the newest (ThinkPad T23, 1,1 GHz, 628 MB RAM, Display S3 Supersavage/IXC 64 SDR). But I wonder that on the same hardware with SuSE 11.0 and old KDE the game run fine.
If I run today, as example Pingus, i’ve not the same “speed problem”, and the game displays approx. 22 fps. I dont know if this information is worth for further hints?
Thank you in advance