suggestion needed to buy best laptop

Hi all, i am planning to buy a new laptop for business purpose, but quite confused which brand to go for. i need your suggestion, pls help me which laptops(brand name) best suits for business purpose.

Thanks in advance

• AinsleyKath,

I’d put up a list with features I need, then select brand/model and finally check with tuxmobile.org to see if Linux runs fine on the machines I want. Rules of thumb:
Intel Centrino works fine
video chipsets should be Intel, AMD or NVidia

Uwe

I’m also thinking of purchasing a laptop. There is a thread going on here as we discuss some of the considerations:
Planning for new laptop - openSUSE Forums

oldcpu wrote:
> I’m also thinking of purchasing a laptop. There is a thread going on
> here as we discuss some of the considerations:
> ‘Planning for new laptop - openSUSE Forums’ (http://tinyurl.com/6lx8ce)
>
>
I would purchase a Dell, with the NVidia chipset, and an Intel wireless
card.

I have owned 3 machines now, 2 latitudes, and a precision mobile
workstation. All have worked wonderfully without headaches.

I believe the only thing I had to setup “by hand” is the media buttons
on the front of the precision mobile workstation. Which was nothing more
than setting up keyboard shortcuts to do the desired tasks.

Just my opinion…

rlagger

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 20:37 +0000, Rich Lagger wrote:

> I would purchase a Dell, with the NVidia chipset, and an Intel wireless
> card.
>
> I have owned 3 machines now, 2 latitudes, and a precision mobile
> workstation. All have worked wonderfully without headaches.
>
> I believe the only thing I had to setup “by hand” is the media buttons
> on the front of the precision mobile workstation. Which was nothing more
> than setting up keyboard shortcuts to do the desired tasks.
>
> Just my opinion…

This has been my experience with Dell as well… but only latitudes
and precision. The Nvidia overheat problem has been a headache, but
that’s really not Dell’s fault.

I have used with no problems… 99% of everything working:

D600 (a bit slow, radeon, but worked well)
D630 (in use, love it… very small)
M60 (not is use anymore)
M70 (still in use)
M90 (returned to Dell, see below)
M6300 (received this from Dell when the Nvidia card blew on the M90)

(all of the above used the SAME docking station… the
interface called the D-port… BUT Dell has the E series out
now… oh well… still it was a LONG run with the same
interface)

At work I’m sort of forced to use HP. The are the WORST. Every
model is COMPLETELY different… shoot, they even change radically
midstream (same model, but radically different). I would avoid
HP like the plague. They “say” they support Linux… it’s lip
service. Oddly, HP seem to do better with Linux in some of
their cheap (consumer) product line rather than their business
line… but usually when I find a person that is “pleased” with
their HP, upon further inspection they are simply happy with
75% of the features working correctly, which is way too low for me.

HP changes their docking port every time somebody sneezes at HP.

i suggest you to buy dell laptop.

Have you read of the nVidia graphic card quality problem with overheating? It means practically every nVidia graphic card in the nVidia 8000 and 9000 series may experience this problem. It affects practically every laptop brand. Purportedly users most likely to encounter it are those with laptops who are “heavy users” and do a lot of CPU intensive activities, such as lengthy compilations, or lengthy video rendering, and also who leave their laptop powered for long periods of time. That describes me to a “T”, and hence causes me concern.

Hence as someone who was (until now) a nVidia fan, I am now researching both ATI and Intel Graphics chipsets in laptops for Linux compatibility. And as Murphy’s Law would have it, now is not a good time for me to find the time to do such research, as I have other things going on in my personal life.

I like the specifications of many Dells, … I just wish I could physically see and physically pickup the laptop I am contemplating to purchase first. In today’s world of cameras with high resolution digital images, and high definition video, the marketing images on the Dell site do not do their laptops justice. Surely they could create a link to detailed pictures for the person who wants a high quality colour video link? (and even then, such an image is not the same as picking it up to get a “feel” for the construction).

I also wish Dell would do the same as has been done for the IBM/Lenovo in terms of the superb Think wiki site (for Linux compatibility investigations).

• oldcpu wrote, On 11/07/2008 12:26 PM:

> Hence as someone who was (until now) a nVidia fan, I am now researching
> both ATI and Intel Graphics chipsets in laptops for Linux compatibility.

The Intel 965GM works fine here on my laptop, but 3D is less than stellar. Forget Google Earth.

Uwe

I would also appreciate an advice on what laptop to buy. From my own experience I’d say, no, SHOUT: Avoid MSI>:(!

Maybe it’s just a matter of luck, but I’ve got an MSI laptop with AMD Turion X2 TL-58. Here’s the list of troubles I encountered with this beast:

→ Wireless is Atheros, tried everything, succeeded with ndiswrapper only (performance sucks)
→ CPU has only few throttling steps, minimal is 800MHz, which still quickly drains the battery (2h if nothing happens). At full speed it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, heats like an oven and lasts less than an hour on battery. Moreover, the power management subsystem may all of a sudden claim that the battery is empty (and happily run for an hour afterwards).
→ Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2400. With the default radeonhd driver has no xv support, means watching movies fullscreen is only possibly via software resizing. The fglrx driver makes is run VERY fast, thanks, and unstable :slight_smile: Also, the fglrx driver doesn’t allow any reliable HDMI output.
→ Sound: Realtek chip, seen to the system as ATI HDA SB, doesn’t switch off the speakers when a headphone is plugged in. Similarly, doesn’t transmit sound when audio is plugged via HDMI cable…
→ keyboard: has a keypad, because of that many other keys are made so small you can’t hit them.

Will appreciate hints and solutions for any of the abovementioned…

Sometimes the problem of speakers not being switched OFF when a headphone is plugged in, is fixed in a later version of alsa, or fixed by applying a special setting to one’s /etc/modprobe.d/sound (but sometimes it just doesn’t work. … )

Anyway, if you start a new thread on this sound problem, I’ll try to help.