Suddenly I can't run anything

Hello,
I’m starting to experience a very weird issue, it happened twice now !
For some reason, all of a sudden absolutely nothing can be launched in KDE, either by mouse click or keyboard. I click on icons and nothing happens, no jumping icon as it loads, no hdd led activity, no nothing. I also cannot open the terminatl from kick menu, in fact I can’t launch anything from the kick menu. The only way to retrieve functionality is to log out and then back in or a restart. I did not noticed a particular reason or scenario when this happens, it is just random and.
Oh, and the thing that work by clicking on it is the Log Out\Restart buttons from kick menu.

Anyone has any ideea what causes this and how can I track it down ?

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 22:56:02 +0000, robertot5 wrote:

> I did not noticed a particular reason or scenario when this happens, it
> is just random and.

I would be inclined to launch a terminal when you can and wait for it to
happen, then start checking logs and try launching stuff from the
terminal to see what error messages come up.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 00:26:31 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 22:56:02 +0000, robertot5 wrote:
>
>> I did not noticed a particular reason or scenario when this happens, it
>> is just random and.
>
> I would be inclined to launch a terminal when you can and wait for it to
> happen, then start checking logs and try launching stuff from the
> terminal to see what error messages come up.

You also might let us know what version of openSUSE you’re suing, what
desktop enviornment (sounds like you’re using KDE, but confirmation would
be good, along with the version), and what additional software, if any,
you’ve installed.

It sounds something like a resource issue.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

So if this was me, I would reboot, then open up terminal and run zypper for a full upgrade of all packages. Open up terminal and do this:

sudo zypper refresh
sudo zypper up

Reboot your PC AND, if this does not help, show us your repos:

zypper repos

I have a nice bash script for working with zypper you can find here:

Zypper Command - Zypper Package Management Menu System

I have seen such as issue with KDE after doing an update for KDE and not yet doing a reboot after the update, but you do want to be fully updated.

Thank You,

Hi,
I have OpenSUSE 12.2, KDE, x64 as shown in my signature.

I will do the update and upgrade right away and try keeping a terminal window opened at all times so when this happens again, if it happens, to see if I can run anything from terminal.

P.S:
These are my repos

#  | Alias                     | Name                               | Enabled | Refresh
---+---------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+--------
 1 | KDE:Extra                 | KDE:Extra                          | Yes     | Yes    
 2 | PK_TMP_DIR                | PK_TMP_DIR                         | Yes     | Yes    
 3 | VirtualBox_Oracle         | VirtualBox Oracle                  | Yes     | Yes    
 4 | nVidia Graphics Drivers   | nVidia Graphics Drivers            | Yes     | Yes    
 5 | openSUSE-12.2-1.6         | openSUSE-12.2-1.6                  | Yes     | No     
 6 | packman.inode.at-suse     | Packman Repository                 | Yes     | Yes    
 7 | repo-debug                | openSUSE-12.2-Debug                | No      | Yes    
 8 | repo-debug-update         | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Debug         | No      | Yes    
 9 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | No      | Yes    
10 | repo-non-oss              | openSUSE-12.2-Non-Oss              | Yes     | Yes    
11 | repo-oss                  | openSUSE-12.2-Oss                  | Yes     | Yes    
12 | repo-source               | openSUSE-12.2-Source               | No      | Yes    
13 | repo-update               | openSUSE-12.2-Update               | Yes     | Yes    
14 | repo-update-non-oss       | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Non-Oss       | Yes     | Yes    

So this entry, most likely is your CD/DVD drive can be removed:

5 | openSUSE-12.2-1.6         | openSUSE-12.2-1.6                  | Yes     | No   

I was unable to determine what this one is for:

2 | PK_TMP_DIR                | PK_TMP_DIR                         | Yes     | Yes

I should have asked for this, which would told us more:

zypper repos -u

The option -u would provide the URL for each repo name. Do that update as suggest and let us know if it helped. I can say that off and on, I did have the same problem with KDE in openSUSE 12.2 and I even tried an update of KDE to the latest release, not supplied with 12.2, and it never worked properly again. I actually reloaded 12.2 and did a full upgrade as I suggested here but that was a while ago now, and the details are more clouded, but I do feel it is a KDE specific problem you are seeing in openSUSE 12.2. I can report this has not been a problem for me in openSUSE 12.3 so far. I have stuck with the distro KDE version, loading updates only for that version. I see that you have the KDE Extra repo added, though I don’t know of an issue with that.

Thank You,

#  | Alias                     | Name                               | Enabled | Refresh | URI                                                                
---+---------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+---------+--------------------------------------------------------------------
 1 | KDE:Extra                 | KDE:Extra                          | Yes     | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_12.2/
 2 | PK_TMP_DIR                | PK_TMP_DIR                         | Yes     | Yes     | dir:///var/tmp/TmpDir.Hf9Avx                                       
 3 | VirtualBox_Oracle         | VirtualBox Oracle                  | Yes     | Yes     | http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/opensuse/11.4/       
 4 | nVidia Graphics Drivers   | nVidia Graphics Drivers            | Yes     | Yes     | ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/12.2/                           
 5 | openSUSE-12.2-1.6         | openSUSE-12.2-1.6                  | Yes     | No      | cd:///?devices=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ASUS_DRW-1608P2S,/dev/sr0       
 6 | packman.inode.at-suse     | Packman Repository                 | Yes     | Yes     | http://packman.inode.at/suse/12.2/                                 
 7 | repo-debug                | openSUSE-12.2-Debug                | No      | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/12.2/repo/oss/     
 8 | repo-debug-update         | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Debug         | No      | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/12.2/                    
 9 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | No      | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/12.2-non-oss/            
10 | repo-non-oss              | openSUSE-12.2-Non-Oss              | Yes     | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.2/repo/non-oss/       
11 | repo-oss                  | openSUSE-12.2-Oss                  | Yes     | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.2/repo/oss/           
12 | repo-source               | openSUSE-12.2-Source               | No      | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/12.2/repo/oss/    
13 | repo-update               | openSUSE-12.2-Update               | Yes     | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/update/12.2/                          
14 | repo-update-non-oss       | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Non-Oss       | Yes     | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/update/12.2-non-oss/      

I disabled the CD repo and the PK_TMP_DIR wich was something from UnetBootin.

It is happening again, right now I am able to post this because Firefox was open but I just click anything else and nothing happens, I have to do a reboot.
Is there a keyboard shortcut for opening a terminal ?
CTRL+ESC does not work either.

On 2013-07-10, robertot5 <robertot5@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
>
> It is happening again, right now I am able to post this because Firefox
> was open but I just click anything else and nothing happens, I have to
> do a reboot.
> Is there a keyboard shortcut for opening a terminal ?
> CTRL+ESC does not work either.

If you want terminal just to reboot use a virtual console (CTRL-ALT-F1_to_F6).

Log in as root (and yes you can do this into a virtual console only to reboot!) and then:

sh-4.2$ shutdown -r now

Good luck!

Kind of. You could press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a text console. Login there with your normal username/password.
If you prepend “DISPLAY=:0” to an command it will try to open its window on your running Xserver.
F.e.:

DISPLAY=:0 kwrite

will start kwrite in the running KDE session.

Just keep a konsole open all the time in case it happens again.
Or use yakuake, this hides itself until you press the shortcut key…

On 2013-07-10 15:16, robertot5 wrote:
> Is there a keyboard shortcut for opening a terminal ?

Alt-F2, then type the name of the terminal you prefer - I use ‘xterm’.

Or CTRL-ALT-F1…F6 to get a text console, where you can login as user or
as root, and do whatever you wish.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

It happened again this morning when I resumed my PC from sleep.

What can I do in order to track down the cause of this ? It started to happen more often and it is annoying to reboot my PC every now and then ?

Can we look in some logs ?

First of all you should have a look what error message you get when you run something from the command line.

Those messages should go into the file ~/.xsession-errors for applications you don’t run from the command line, so you could have look there as well. But this file can grow quite large over time, so it could be difficult to find the wanted messages, especially if you don’t know what to look for.
Most of the time it’s just easier to run an application from the command line and check the output.

A few minutes ago I resumed the PC from sleep and imediately noticed the issue again so I opened up a terminal with ctrl+alt+f1 and tried as my user the suggested commands:

DISPLAY=:0 firefox
DISPLAY=:0 kwrite
DISPLAY=:0 thunderbird 

and it returns :

Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalkid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyError: cannot open display: :0

As root I get

No protocol specified 
Error: cannot open display: :0

Well, I tried it here and it did work.

Why don’t you just keep a Konsole window open in case it happens again?
Or try yakuake as I already suggested. That hides itself until you press its shortkey (F12 by default).

I will open a terminal and let in run in the background.

What are the differences between a terminal opened in KDE and one opened with ctrl+alt+f keys ?

It runs in the X session, therefore it knows where the X server is running.
So it can tell applications where they should open their windows.

Caught the issue with a terminal opened.

Tried to launch firefox, amarok, kwrite, thunderbird, teamviewer, etc and I got the same :

Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyError: cannot open display: :0

Dolphin returns :

Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keydolphin: cannot connect to X server :0

I doubt if this is the problem but just in case.

I have had kde 4 versions start behaving strangely by allowing the KDE updater to do updates as it pulled in KDE components and updates that were not official OpenSuse ones. I had to re install and since then I have only use YAST for updates. I have also had a problem with installing downloaded rpm’s that seems to relate to KDE. Right Click install with YAST does nothing. Fortunately on 11.4 at least launching an rpm fires up kde’s add remove software and that does pass the package to YAST.

On the other hand I did use let KDE handle an install some time ago in the install’s early days because I just couldn’t get rid of the dependencies with YAST - it just did it and unusually the package did work. Shows how careful it was. Be warned.

From what I understand KDE from 4.8 up to 4.11 are just bug fix releases 11 being the next stable release due in August. Mixing components from them may not be a good idea though. :’( and it seems that they are beginning to talk about 5. Sounds like that will be distinctly different. "Virtualisation", modularity and activity centred. In quotes as I suspect that one doesn’t mean what people might think it means.

John

So you do get the same error messages as in the text console.

One question first: you did try to run them as user, right? Not as root or with sudo or similar?

If that happens the next time, try to run “xhost +” to turn off X access control. Does that fix the issue?

But I have no idea what could cause this… Something seems to corrupt/delete your ~/.Xauthority file?