Suddenly Banshee, Clementine stopped playing audio files

It started yesterday or so. I have had no problem playing mp3 and ogg files, but suddenly (after an update I think) Banshee and clementine stopped playing audio files.
In Banshee, the volume icon is greyed out, and in clementine, the following message comes up when I try to play a ogg file:

GStreamer could not create the element: volume. Please make sure that you have installed all necessary GStreamer plugins (e.g. OGG and MP3)

But media players such as Mplayer or Kaffeine do not have any problem playing those files. I tried to install gstreamer plugins from different repos but had no luck.

Thank you,

Check this
Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide

MultiMedia Checker or mmcheck - Check Your openSUSE MultiMedia Setup in Just 16 Steps

Thanks, but I have already done that. No problems there.

Both are OK for me

Name : clementine Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 0.6 Vendor: PackMan :: Startseite
Release : 8.30 Build Date: Tue 25 Jan 2011 21:56:45 GMT
Install Date: Wed 26 Jan 2011 09:37:41 GMT Build Host: thursen
Group : Productivity/Multimedia/Sound/Players Source RPM: clementine-0.6-8.30.src.rpm
Size : 15464367 License: GNU GPL v3
Signature : DSA/SHA1, Tue 25 Jan 2011 21:58:10 GMT, Key ID f899f20d9a795806
Packager :
URL : clementine-player - Project Hosting on Google Code
Summary : A cross-platform Music Player based on Amarok 1.4
Description :
Clementine is a modern music player and library organiser. Clementine is a
port of Amarok 1.4, with some features rewritten to take advantage of Qt4.

Banshee too is fine, default from 11.3

Yes I have been playing files without any problem since the installation of openSUSE 11.3 several months ago. As I said it suddenly stopped playing audio files. It seems something messed up gstreamer packages as Banshee gives [Warn 12:13:49.160] Caught an exception - System.ApplicationException: Could not initialize GStreamer library (in `Banshee.GStreamer’) error if I run it in the terminal.

But in YaST and everywhere gstreamer packages look fine and as I said mplayer can play audio files fine. During recent update some file related to gstreamer packages is broken I guess, but I have no idea how to fix it.

Okay I fixed it. I just renamed ~/.gstreamer-0.10/registry.x86_64.bin to registry.x86_64.bin.old and open clementine, and it regenerated registry.x86_64.bin file and now works well. The file must have been messed up.

Thanks for that info

I’m glad, too. It seems there has been some problems related to that file … when I searched google I have seen quite a few problems with solution “remove ~/.gstreamer-0.10/registry.x86_64.bin file” … for example

So I guess when your gstreamer packages look normal but it seems applications could not find them, one should try removing that file.

Thank you,

I had exactly the same problem and solved it after following the advice on this thread: Issue 791 - clementine-player - gstreamer backend broken with 0.10.30 - Project Hosting on Google Code
Which is essentially the same as your fix, although I deleted my ~/.gstreamer-0.10/ and ~/.gstreamer-0.8/ directories to fix it.

Really irritating that this kind of stuff happens though, it’s not really acceptable on a modern desktop OS to just have the multimedia framework stop working for no good reason :slight_smile:

I’m considering joining the testing by installing Factory on an old USB HD that I don’t use anymore, see how much attention bugs get in that.

Yes I completely agree. I love Linux, but I wish those regression type bugs which is hampers desktop usability do not happen. I guess it cannot be avoided if one wants to use cutting-edge software.


thanks for posting a fix - had the same problem here

You’re welcome. Glad to hear that.

I had the same issue with Banshee suddenly not playing audio files that played fine before. This happened after some gstreamer updates that were applied yesterday. The mmcheck was fine, everything was were it was supposed to be, but couldn’t play anything. Your solution fixed it. Thanks. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome. So it is likely that recent gstreamer updates did something as it happened to me right after those updates a couple of days ago.

Is it just me - but every time I re-start my p/c I have to apply the fix again!

have had to switch phonon to use the xine backend as a temporary measure

sorry it was a problem with amarok