sudden death, open suse 12.2

hi, sorry for this title, but this is what is happening to my laptop each time i use KDE or XFCE desktops, in KDE this is quick; after 15 minutes or less everything freezes and i cant do nothing! i cant switch to other tty, but when i turn off wifi, is see the wifi disabled, so i guess the mahine is working in background!
opensuse 12.2 64bits with latest update, Dell XPS 15.

Edit: it seems that the problem is related to Wifi connection? because when it happened i saw Skype’s icone disconnecting, so it seems that each time there is a switch in Wifi, the OS freezes, now the connection is stable, i continue to work without problem.
any ideas?

was it all ok for a while and this just started happening?

if so, what changed that might have caused this? (new hardware? new
software? upgrade? etc??)

if you start up top in a terminal during those first 10 minutes, and
watch it–can you then see what process is hogging all the CPU and/or
memory before and as the freeze starts?

what happens if you just leave it alone for 15 minutes, does it
unfreeze? can you see the same process sucking power that whole time?

tell us about your hardware…

dd
http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

Hardware: Dell XPS 15, L502X 8GB Ram, and i do updates for opensuse, now am at the latest one because zypper up dont give me nothing new, but when i wrote the message before, the connection was stable, because i was in unversity and there were not lot of people to make congestion for the wifi ap, and i think it is the case, when there is congestion, the router exites me and i automatically connect to another wifi ap, because the it happened several times, and the time was variant, sometimes 5 min, 10, 1 hour, and this always happens in the morning when there is a lot of connection to the ap, so i’ll try to use the pc without wifi enabled, and see if i can get more than 1 hours, then i’ll simulate wifi ap changing.

confirmed, it was the ap wsitching that did that, because an using stable connection at home, and now it is 3 hours that nothing happened, i tried to force graphic card by playing movies in full screen mode and playing with the cursor, but still nothing happened!
i think it is NetworkManager? i remember in 12.1 it crashed dident know why, and tried to install the Gnome version, but dident work, then i used Yast to connect, but after downloading the 12.2 DVD i made an upgrade and it works, maybe NetworkManager is the problem? but why crashing all the system! it has its own thread?

Update: i dont think it was AP switching, nor NetworkManager, it is Skype!
i’ve just launched Skype and after some minutes, everything frozen! and i think that was what happened when i connect in university and try to use Skype… because the time it tool to freeze depends on when i’ll need Skype!

frozen again, using skype and trying to scroll Facebook page on Chrome.
this is always happening! hope someone confirms.

AFAIK Skype is now on version 4.x Try downgrading to an earlier version, it might fix your issue.

i think it is the latest release, i’ll reboot on openSuse and try to see if that fixes the problem.

update: Skype is the latest: 4.1.0.20
it’s now 30 minutes and nothing happened!

update:
i confirm, finally this is not skype, i’ve used it for 4:30 hours, and i’ve lost wifi signal twice!
so IT IS WIFI!
1- because skype uses something related to skype-wifi?
2- it happens when i scrol down Chrome, and i dont think it is chrome, it is a non-os process!
so hope this will be fixed when i upgrad to 12.3

On 2013-02-16 22:06, abdelouahab wrote:
> so hope this will be fixed when i upgrad to 12.3

Be sure to try 12.3 now on a spare partition. If it is a bug, you have
to report it ASAP in bugzilla.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Sadly i cant install it, all partitions are full, and cant add one, and what i want is to make an upgrade, i’ll wait for the fina release and download the DVD and make an upgrade from there.

On 2013-02-18 13:26, abdelouahab wrote:
>
> Sadly i cant install it, all partitions are full, and cant add one, and
> what i want is to make an upgrade, i’ll wait for the fina release and
> download the DVD and make an upgrade from there.

Offline upgrade
method

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

thank you :wink:
now i have to wait 21 days :shame:

finally, not wifi, not skype, nothing! it was just the update from 12.1 to 12.2 that made this problem, formatted and fresh reinstalled the system, and now i work fine :slight_smile:

> now i work fine

great to hear!! congrats!!!

dd
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobile” of operating systems!