Subpixel Hinting for 11.2- GTK Apps- Solution

Should i use this repo?
Index of /repositories/home:/anshuljain:/ubuntu_patch/KDE_Factory_Desktop

Apologies for the late reply…the patches that I have applied in the “ubuntu_patch” repo provide a FAR better effect as compared to the ones that are mentioned in my original post. Please use the one KDE_Factory_Desktop repo and let me know how it works for you. I am able to get perfect subpixel font rendering (same as that for Ubuntu) using their patches.

I’d suggest that you choose Subpixel Rendering and set it to “Slight”. You should add the following to the /etc/X11/Xresources file:-

Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.antialias: true
Xft.rgba: rgb
Xft.hinting: true
Xft.hintstyle: hintslight
Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault

Set the “Xft.hintstyle” to hintslight/hintmedium/hintfull depending on what you select in the subpixel rendering settings on your GNOME or KDE install.

Edit: I don’t know how to get cairo working on 64-bit installs as I use a 32-bit one. I have merely rebuilt the 64-bit one, trusting the OBS to do the right stuff.

I know it has only just been released but will this work with 11.3? Or do I need to wait for revised patches.

The existing patches for 11.2 will not work on 11.3. I’m downloading 11.3 now and will start working on the patches as soon as its done. I should have the patched RPMs up and running this weekend. Stay tuned :slight_smile:

Eagerly waiting for your 11.3 patch anshul,Good job bro…

Just a quick update- I have the patches working on my laptop, compiling the SRPMs locally. However, there seem to be some major breakages with GCC 4.5 through the OBS. Trying to solve the problem in OBS.

The packages are now ready in my OBS repo. More details at:- Subpixel Hinting Packages (Ubuntu Lucid Patches) are now available for 11.3

I’m using OpenSuse 11.2 on 64 bit machine.

Hi I’m on OpenSuse 11.2 i586. This solution works great for me. I did not notice the subpixel rendering in Firefox but in GroupWise I found it very annoying. It took a long time to find this. Thanks!

BTW it’s just the subpixel rendering that bothers me, so I put

<match target=“font” >
<edit mode=“assign” name=“hinting” >
<bool>true</bool>
</edit>
</match>

<match target=“font” >
<edit mode=“assign” name=“hintstyle” >
<const>hintmedium</const>
</edit>
</match>

in my .fonts.conf in stead of your false and hintnone.