Stuck to emergency mode after Tumbleweed update to 20150924 snapshot (Optimus laptop).

Just an heads-up:
After “zypper dup” to the 20150924 Tumbleweed update my system showed a kernel bug on boot, going to emergency mode and the like.
After a few unsuccesful rescue attempts I tried:

dracut --hostonly --force

to rebuild the initrd, and now I’m online again.
Is this due to nvidia-bumblebee or related stuff (this is an Optimus laptop, sorry ;-)?
Do I have to uninstall nvidia, disable bumblebee repo etc. before each zypper dup?
Is this somewhat expected with this configuration or did I miss something?
Or is it a problem linked to this last TW snapshot?

Could be. Running zypper dup may have the impact that not all bumblebee related packages come from the Bumblebee repo. That’s why I use zypper up instead.

Do I have to uninstall nvidia, disable bumblebee repo etc. before each zypper dup?
Is this somewhat expected with this configuration or did I miss something?
Or is it a problem linked to this last TW snapshot?

Nope, all well here on an Optimus laptop.

Thanks for confirming that it is not related to Optimus per se, but it might be related to the bumblebee repo.
I also saw a number of bugreports about recent versions of dracut not behaving properly…

I’ll try to find out more.

I just checked, and all bumblebee related stuff comes from the Bumblebee repo.
The problem should be somewhere else.

IMHO a bit too soon, what does


systemctl status bumblebeed.service 

say?

How did you update?

zypper up

or

zypper dup

Any other repos active?

zypper lr

localhost:/home/bruno # systemctl status bumblebeed.service -l
● bumblebeed.service - Bumblebee C Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bumblebeed.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since mer 2015-09-30 18:52:56 CEST; 6min ago
 Main PID: 1296 (bumblebeed)
   CGroup: /system.slice/bumblebeed.service
           └─1296 /usr/sbin/bumblebeed

set 30 18:52:56 localhost systemd[1]: Started Bumblebee C Daemon.
set 30 18:52:56 localhost systemd[1]: Starting Bumblebee C Daemon...
set 30 18:52:56 localhost bumblebeed[1296]:     8.559123] [INFO]/usr/sbin/bumblebeed 3.2.1 started
set 30 18:52:56 localhost bumblebeed[1296]: rmmod: ERROR: Module nvidia is in use
set 30 18:52:59 localhost bumblebeed[1296]:    11.571747] [ERROR]Unloading nvidia driver timed out.

by

zypper dup

The usual Packman essentials…

localhost:/home/bruno # zypper lr
#                   | Alias              | Name                     | Enabled               | GPG Check                  | Refresh
--------------------+--------------------+--------------------------+-----------------------+----------------------------+--------
1 | Bumblebee          | Bumblebee                | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes    
2 | Packman_Essentials | Packman Essentials       | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes    
3 | repo-non-oss       | openSUSE-Factory-Non-Oss | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes    
4 | repo-oss           | openSUSE-Factory-Oss     | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes    
5 | repo-update        | openSUSE-Factory-Update  | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes

Maybe I spotted the root cause.
The initrd rebuilt by the system following some software changes is corrupt, and there were several such changes with the last TW snapshot.
That behaviour can be reproduced by changing system software by Yast2-software, e.g.
Using “dracut --hostonly” as I did afterwards fixes the initrd and the system boots normally.

Whether that behaviour is a bug or something odd in the configuration of my system remains to be seen.
It seems to me that something changed after installation of nvidia-bumblebee, but cannot say that it is related at the moment.

Everything OK with last TW snapshot 20151002.
My guess: something in the previous snapshot (20150924) was at odds with my HW or configuration and the process didn’t complete successfully.