after the installing the latest patches yesterday night (I don’t remember all of them, but one of them included Mozilla NSS or NSPR if I rememeber correctly), this morning logging in to KDE freezes after entering my username and password in KDM.
What seems weird:
- The on-screen keyboard (kvkbd) does pop up after the login, like it always does.
- KWalletManager opens and asks for my password, but that’s about it. There’s no desktop or dock or anything - I’m left with only the kvkbd and the mouse pointer (which is moving - the system hasn’t crashed).
- This happens across ALL users, including root.
- I can login with IceWM and use my system (this is what I’m using now).
- The system is responsive - I can use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to text consoles, and fallback to init 3 and then init 5 to get another login.
The system was running 13.2 and was updated to 42.3 via sequential upgrades as recommended. After upgrading from 13.2 to 42.3, it always took a while (maybe 10 seconds?) to get things going after logging in (compared to 1-2 seconds with 13.2), but I always got a desktop, until today.
There’s nothing weird in my ~.xsession-errors, at least nothing that seems suspicious.