(I am adding dates (USA-EST) in case this is known-in-timeframe related)
On Friday Dec 3 I decided to try the new Digikam 1.6, downloading and installing from SuSE Factory repo. This dragged along some KDE4.5.80 (aka 4.6 beta1) dependencies. My system ran for a while, then would not reboot kde. After some helpful dialog here in the forum, I executed
zypper dist-upgrade --from #SuSE_Factory_repo
and was able to get a usable KDE4.5.80 session.
While Digikam 1.6 ran, there were too many other flaky aspects of this beta build so on Saturday Dec 4 I decided to downgrade back to KDE4.5.4.
zypper dist-upgrade --from #SuSE_kde45_repo
and the fun began.
The first time it ran, some 20+ of the 170+ packages that needed update(downgrade) reported checksum errors and corrupted files, which I skipped over.
On Sunday Dec 5, I ran the upgrade again. The first time, 6 of the 20+ files failed with similar checksum issues, but on a second execution all downloaded and installed.
The download speeds reported were good(or better, some at 8MBps).
I have not seen this behavior before - usually if a Repository is on-line, the process works flawlessly.