Strange partition problem with 11.1

Hi,

I’m trying to install 11.1 on my current 11 install. I’ve tried the DVD and the Gnome liveCD, but I have encountered the same problem with both.

Since I already have a /, /home and swap partitions on my current install, I want to reuse those. But when the installer considers the partitions, it suggests a different setup (and the process would start with deleting my /home!). So I go into manual mode, then use the “import” facility, and end up with a perfect recognition of the 3 partitions I want to use. Unfortunately, when I click accept and the installer goes back to the summary, it still presents the process it suggested, starting with “delete sd5” (which is /home).

Not willing to take the risk of assuming the installer will do something different from what is displayed, I abort the install there and then.

Has anybody experienced this? How can I make sure my changes are taken into account?

Thanks for your help

Olivier

It is slightly unclear, when you are presented with the suggested installation what to do, in this case.

This is what works for me :

Create Partition Setup
Go into Expert mode, and use the Partitioner tool, basically assign the partitions anyway I want

I have used “Import” last night, on a machine with several different Linux installations, and it did actually work.

By going to the disk after, selecting Edit, I could re-format ones like /, and /boot which need to be clean, and set filesystem options up.

Having tested -RC1 on 3 different boxes, so long as I ignore warnings, I have pretty much had a free hand in the layouts, and re-using filesystems and partitions.

I’d recommend you move to a layout using LVM if you can, but have a small /boot partition (ext2), and keep / out of the LVM, to keep things simpler if you need to recover the system.

Tried to edit this post, but got interrupted and the 10 Minute limit kicked in. Why does it have to be so short?

It is slightly unclear, when you are presented with the suggested installation what to do, in this case.

This is what works for me :

Choose Create Partition Setup
Use Expert mode, and then you get the YaST Partitioner tool, which lets me basically assign the partitions, delete, resize and use LVM anyway I want.

I have used “Import” last night, on a machine with several different Linux installations, and it did actually work. I was also able to re-format some of the filesystems.

By selecting the disk in left hand pain, you get partition list. Then highlight a partition and selecting Edit, I could re-format ones like /, and /boot which need to be clean, and set filesystem options up. The only unclear thing, is the label “Finish” rather than “Apply” for each change to the partition. First time through, I expect Finish to go and offer to write the new table, making the changes.

Having tested -RC1 on 3 different boxes, so long as I ignore warnings about expertise requires, or about YaST not being able to guarantee I’ll get a working system, I have pretty much had a free hand in the layouts, and re-using filesystems and partitions.

I’d recommend you move to a layout using LVM if you can, when you re-plan your disk layout. Have a small /boot partition (ext2), and keep / out of the LVM, to keep things simpler if you need to recover the system. Try and mount these using Volume Labels, rather than devices, which may change. It’s very nice to just have a pool of disk space, you can create volumes in, resize them, without messing with partition tables. If you choose good Volume Group and LV names, then you get nice devices for mounting like /dev/System/Root.

This bug will be fixed for 11.2. Current workaround: Change anything after importing the mount points, e.g. set your swap partition to format, before clicking “Accept”.