Stopped at Splash Screen After zypper update 11.4 to 12.1

I have been using 11.4, Gnome, 32bit opensuse for several years with no problem. I bit the bullet and did an online update per the instructions in the forum explicitly using the commandline (zypper dup) method by extracting new files online. The update appeared to proceed without a hitch. But, now when I boot into Opensuse, the system stops at the splash screen (wher grub says 12.1 Desktop and 12.1 Failsafe options but freezes and does not move to a login request for either option. The splashscreen starts, goes black for a few seconds, then starts again in new resolution and the little guys eyes move. This freezing happens in both desktopl boot and failsafe mode. In either mode I can get to close the splash screen and get to screen text where there is a request for a root password. Upon giving that I get a command line as root. One bad thing is that doing a dir at the commandline does not show my old /home directory so I don’t know whether my disk got scrubbed. I cannot get logged in as a user.

Further info, is that my system is a windows 7 dual boot which has worked flawlessly for me. I have two harddisks. One is windows C: The Second is windows D: for half and Opensuse for the other half There has been no issues with this configuration. It is surprising to me to see that the messages show that 12.1 is trying to mount windows C:,D:,(nfts files) and also E: which is my DVD drive in windows nomenclature but perhaps 11.4 also did that, I don’t know. There are also some fatal messages regarding missing files in the failsafe message listing. I can’t see all of the messages. 12.1 failsafe mode falls over into Emergency mode which I don’t know what it is.

I can get to a program or two in the root Desktop directory. Nothing will start due to graphics issues.

I’m looking for ideas for clearing this up. I redid zypper dup and it said there is nothing to do.

Anyone worked out of a similar situation?
Thanks, Tom Kosvic

We first have to find out what’s wrong. Something is wrong with the partitioning or mounting, or … something’s wrong with the disk. Normally you should see a login prompt in the console (where you get after hitting Esc to stop the splash screen). But now you see the request for the root password, which means that for some reason, something cannot be mounted.

What you can do is this:

• Download a LiveCD, boot from it
  • Once in the desktop, open a terminal window and do:

su -c 'fdisk -l'

Knurpht, I can’t think that my disk took this time to go bad. Windows 7 loads and runs fine on both disks.

To pursue your idea, (just to show my ignorance) can I download a CD of 12.1 on a windows machine and use a windows app to copy to a CD for a linux program. Don’t think I can do the download in linux with only root commandline

Further info,
fatal message are: ata_piix not found
fatal message: ata_piix failure installing
fatal message: module btrfs not found (thought that was a file system but I have ext3 and ext4)
abort: mounting window/E which is my dvd drive in windows.

Perhaps a clue here:

Thanks, Tom Kosvic

Yep, you can download a livecD from opensuse.org, burn it to CD, or use imagewriter for windows to write it to a USB device. I think your /etc/fstab is corrupted, but it would be much easier to fix that from a LiveCD, which would at least allow you to copy and paste info here. You can run a desktop from the LiveCD, with Firefox available, so the forums accessible. The commands we’re looking for output from are

su
(root password for livecd is "linux")
fdisk -l
cat /etc/fstab

On 2012-10-18 22:16, tckosvic wrote:

> There are also some fatal
> messages regarding missing files in the failsafe message listing. I
> can’t see all of the messages. 12.1 failsafe mode falls over into
> Emergency mode which I don’t know what it is.

Ah, emergency mode; don’t say any more.

Emergency mode in systemd mode is buggy, it does not give you any clue
of what the problem is.

Bug 782904:
System doesn’t print enough information when it drops into emergency
mode

To bypass the problem, boot instead in systemv mode. Press I think it is
F4 at boot and choose systemd. Follow your nose.

> I can get to a program or two in the root Desktop directory. Nothing
> will start due to graphics issues.

Don’t even try. I’m not kidding.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

On 2012-10-18 23:16, tckosvic wrote:
>
> Knurpht, I can’t think that my disk took this time to go bad. Windows
> 7 loads and runs fine on both disks.

Unrelated.

> To pursue your idea, (just to show my ignorance) can I download a CD of
> 12.1 on a windows machine and use a windows app to copy to a CD for a
> linux program. Don’t think I can do the download in linux with only root
> commandline

What for? Just boot in systemv mode and read the messages there.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Thanks for help, I’ve tried both approaches, i.e., (1) boot into systemv and runcommands, and (2) download DVD to run commands.

Approach 1 - I booted with systemv and got to a root commandline. I ran fdisk -l and catted the /etc/fstab file. fdisk showed my disks and their partitions as intact; even my external usb disk. The cat of fstab showed some lines about windows partitions that I don’t think should be there. I cannot get an image of them to this forum. Even trying to photograph screen would not fit and be legible.

Approach 2 - I booted from a DVD but could not figure out how to get to a desktop with the options available. I went through Installation path and it again showed the partitions intact and as they were before. It wanted to update 650 files, delete a bunch, etc. This seemed like the same number of items identified prior to starting the zypper dup update.I tried rescue path and couldn’t get past login. Please provide detailed instructions on how to get to a desktop from the installation dvd.

Also, I need some suggestions on how to get my fdisk and cat command results off so I can display them to the forum. Are their some commands I can use to get a file off somehow? I tried vi and saving /etc/fstabto another file name but can’t get it off. I could try copy or move but the only directory available as root is the root directory.

Thanks again for any ideas?

Tom Kosvic

Update of efforts: I did realize that live CD is different than Installation DVD. I downloaded live CDs for both desktops and booted with each. I tried Kernel boot and Failsafe Boot, in all cases the system did not fully load and never got to a desktop. There were multiple I/O errors that stopped the process.

I am at an impasse and wish to get this going. Updating from 11.4 to 12.1 was only to be a morning’s effort but now I am thwarted. I don’t want to lose my home page info.

Does anyone know that if I was to do a new install from the 12.2 installation DVD whether my 11.4 /home directory would still be intact or would it be written over. I do have root (/) in one linux partition, and /home in another linuxpartition, and /swap in yet another linux partition. So would old 11.4 /home directories and files still exist and also would I be able to get to my old user account to use the /home directory.

Any ideas???

thanks, tom kosvic

If you do a fresh install you must be sure that the installer does NOT format the partition which has your home and be sure that that partition is mounted as /home. You just must take care when the partition scheme is shown and be absolutely sure that the scheme is what you want

I found an application to view linux files from windows 7. I can see that my old home dir still exists. Here’s the captured listing of the /etc/fstab file below. Not sure why windows partitions are in this file. Again windows E is my dvd drive.

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00JJA0_WD-WMAM91713693-part5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00JJA0_WD-WMAM91713693-part6 / ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00JJA0_WD-WMAM91713693-part7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00JJC0_WD-WCAM9P100464-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00JJA0_WD-WMAM91713693-part1 /windows/D ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-WD_6400AAV_External_57442D574341554630363432303831-0:0-part1 /windows/E ntfs-3g users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
LABEL=linuxstorage /media ext3 defaults 1 2

I can present a display of the results of fdisk -l now by piping that output to a file and moving that into windows. I’ll work on that.

Perhaps this might help some knowledgeable person to provide a solution.

Using windows program ext2explore, I piped the results of fdisk -l into a text file. Here’s the results below:

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x6445cb31

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 63 156280319 78140128+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors
Disk identifier: 0xd4f2d4f2

/dev/sdb1 * 63 87216884 43608411 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sdb2 87216885 156296384 34539750 f W95 Ext’d (LBA)
/dev/sdb5 87216948 90301364 1542208+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdb6 90301428 117017459 13358016 83 Linux
/dev/sdb7 117017523 156296384 19639431 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdd: 640.1 GB, 640135028736 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77825 cylinders, total 1250263728 sectors
Disk identifier: 0xacdd9b22

/dev/sdd1 63 635858624 317929281 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sdd2 635858944 1250242559 307191808 83 Linux

Again, I thank anyone for help in recovering from this issue.

Tom Kosvic

On 2012-10-19 18:56, tckosvic wrote:
>
> Thanks for help, I’ve tried both approaches, i.e., (1) boot into systemv
> and runcommands, and (2) download DVD to run commands.
>
> Approach 1 - I booted with systemv and got to a root commandline. I
> ran fdisk -l and catted the /etc/fstab file. fdisk showed my disks and
> their partitions as intact; even my external usb disk. The cat of fstab
> showed some lines about windows partitions that I don’t think should be
> there. I cannot get an image of them to this forum. Even trying to
> photograph screen would not fit and be legible.

I told you to look at the messages. I’ll clarify more: You have to look
carefully at the messages printed on the screen before you get the
login prompt in emergency mode of systemv. The clues to repair the
system are there, anything else is walking blindfolded.

> Also, I need some suggestions on how to get my fdisk and cat command
> results off so I can display them to the forum. Are their some commands
> I can use to get a file off somehow?

pipes.

fdisk -l > /pathtosomefile
cp /etc/fstab /pathtosomeotherfile

but that somefile must be an external disk, perhaps a usb stick that you
first have to manually mount.

If you think that fstab contains lines about partitions you think should
not be there, just edit the file and comment them out (put a # as the
first letter). The easiest editor in text mode is joe, and is installed
by default, even in the rescue mode of the dvd.

> I tried vi and saving /etc/fstabto
> another file name but can’t get it off. I could try copy or move but
> the only directory available as root is the root directory.

Every directory is available. If you are not confortable with the
commandline, use “mc”, a filebrowser that works in text mode - but it is
not installed by default and you can’t do it now.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2012-10-19 22:06, tckosvic wrote:
>
> I found an application to view linux files from windows 7. I can see
> that my old home dir still exists. Here’s the captured listing of the
> /etc/fstab file below.

You should use code tags to post this. Advanced editor, ‘#’ button. I
will do it here for easier reading.

> Not sure why windows partitions are in this
> file. Again windows E is my dvd drive.

Having Windows partitions listed in fstab is normal.

> /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00JJA0_WD-WMAM91713693-part5 swap       swap       defaults              0 0
> /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00JJA0_WD-WMAM91713693-part6 /          ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1
> /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00JJA0_WD-WMAM91713693-part7 /home      ext3       defaults              1 2
> /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00JJC0_WD-WCAM9P100464-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g    users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
> /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00JJA0_WD-WMAM91713693-part1 /windows/D ntfs-3g    users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

This line below can cause your problem if that external device is not
plugged in, so comment it out with a '#' symbol.

> /dev/disk/by-id/usb-WD_6400AAV_External_57442D574341554630363432303831-0:0-part1 /windows/E           ntfs-3g    users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0

> proc                 /proc                proc       defaults           0 0
> sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto             0 0
> debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto             0 0
> usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto             0 0
> devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5    0 0

This entry below is a mistake. It should not impede booting, I think,
but you can not mount anything yourself in the /media directory because
it will interfere with automatic mounting of the devices you plug in.

Of course, if the device is not present at boot, booting will halt.

For the moment, comment it out, and later, change /media to
/mnt/something (and create that dir first).

> LABEL=linuxstorage   /media               ext3       defaults           1 2

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

robin_listas (carlos E.R.), thanks for your insights. I have had a successful upgrade now after commenting out the line in fstab below:

/dev/disk/by-id/usb-WD_6400AAV_External_57442D574341554630363432303831-0:0-part1 /windows/E ntfs-3g users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0

I get through login fine and am now trying to figure out new desktop/activities, etc.

I did not comment out:

> LABEL=linuxstorage /media ext3 defaults 1 2

I have a usb hardrive that I believe the above line references (mounts?). That drive is formatted half as windows and half as linux and is never disconnected, in fact it is still connected. For over a year I have been running automatic linux backups to that drive using 11.4. That drive has been mounted into the /media directory and I could see the files on it using file viewer. Now that drive is not visible to any file viewers and is not in the /media directory.

My question is how do I mount that usb external drive properly in 12.1? Apparently the old configuration for mounting an external hard drive for 11.4 is incompatible with 12.1. I did see that fstab was updated by the zypper dup process per changed file date. I set up the 11.4 external drive using basic linux mount commands a long while ago, I believe.

Any specific information or directions to information on how to mount this external drive for opensuse 12.1 1 would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks, Tom Kosvic

On 2012-10-20 23:56, tckosvic wrote:
>
> robin_listas (carlos E.R.), thanks for your insights. I have had a
> successful upgrade now after commenting out the line in fstab below:
>
>
> /dev/disk/by-id/usb-WD_6400AAV_External_57442D574341554630363432303831-0:0-part1
> /windows/E ntfs-3g users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0
> 0

Well, now you have to find out the new ID of that partition, and use it.
Or better, use a label, same as the other partition.

> I did not comment out:
>
>> LABEL=linuxstorage /media ext3 defaults
> 1 2

And for this one, as I told you, you have to use a different mount point
than /media, like for example /mnt/something.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.