Still trying desperately to configure USB sound card

Hi everyone. Remember me? I was posting here a few weeks ago about trying to set up a USB sound card in opensuse 11.0. here is the link to that post:

Setting default usb sound card - openSUSE Forums

Anyways, by the end of that, I felt I had exhausted all the options and didn’t know what to do. But there have been some developments! I also noticed this forum post:

No USB Sound SUSE 11.0 - Page 3 - openSUSE Forums

Now I am certain that my computer recognizes my usb sound card. Not only does playing with its volume knob change the master volume in kmix, but I have managed to get some sound out of it, under certain circumstances. Using Yast-Hardware-Sound, I configure snd-hda-intel to be card 1, and configure snd-usb-audio to be card 0. In the bottom right of that yast window there is an option to ‘play test sound’. If I have selected usb audio (card 0) and say play test sound, nothing happens. BUT if I select card 1, snd-hda-intel, and say play test sound, i get the proper test sound coming from my USB SOUND CARD.
If I reverse the card numbers, so that hda intel is now card 0 and usb audio is now card 1, then playing test sound through card 0 produces nothing, while test sound through card 1 plays sound through my usb card. So it appears that snd-usb-audio is, whether yast says so or not, stuck on card 1. This suspicion is confirmed by the output of the following commands:

cat /proc/asound/cards:

0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xfebfc000 irq 21
1 [Xmod ]: USB-Audio - Creative Xmod
Creative Technology Ltd Creative Xmod at usb-0000:00:1d.0-2, full speed

cat /proc/asound/modules:

0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_usb_audio

The output of those two virtual files is unchanged no matter how the cards are configured in Yast (unless, of course, I UNconfigure one of them, in which case it no longer appears, but /proc/… seems insensitive to my selection of default sound card). I have experimented to no end with .asoundrc in my home directory, and have also experimented with /etc/modprobe.d/sound. Here is the current output of that file:

cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound:

options snd slots=snd-usb-audio,snd-hda-intel

uniq.unknown_key:USB Audio

alias snd-card-0 snd-usb-audio
alias snd-slot-0 snd-card-0

u1Nb.uP_yB40zFCD:82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller

alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
alias snd-slot-1 snd-card-1
options snd-usb-audio index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=1
options snd-usb-audio nrpacks=1

I know there’s a lot of extra stuff in there, I’ve been fiddling around.
So based on the symptoms, does anyone have a diagnosis? Thanks a bunch!
Taylor

Waaaaaaaaait…waaaaaait. YES! I guess I didn’t read that second post I listed above. Thanks you guys! I followed the zypper instructions (although I did not need to install the…-kmp-pae file, i have …kmp-default and it is sufficient). I never thought I’d see the day. Thanks for everything!

Ok, so sound is working? If so, GREAT !

Note, when I provide zypper commands in a post, they are specific to that user. You need to be certain your hardware and openSUSE kernel is 100% identical before using the same zypper commands that I recommend to another user.

You should install only ONE driver, not two (as you have noted). ie if your kernel is “default” then you install the kmp-default. If your kernel is “pae” you install the “kmp-pae”.