Steam installed but won't open

Hi Guys,

Hopefully this will be a simple fix, but it’s confusing me nonetheless. I’ve been using linux for around a year but only been using rpm-based distros for a month or so.

I recently installed steam via terminal using

sudo zypper install steam

but for some reason it won’t open now. The icon appears in my task bar when I try to open it, but it soon disappears and nothing else happens.

When I run steam from the terminal, here is what I see:

Running Steam on opensuse 20160205 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
libGL error: unable to load driver: nouveau_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: nouveau
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Is the solution blindingly obvious?

Cheers,

D

What graphics card(s) and what drivers??

Is this a notebook if so is is a Optimus (Intel+NVIDIA) based system?

Hi, my graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GT610, and my driver is currently set to nouveau - admittedly I haven’t changed this if I needed to in the first place.

Also, not a notebook. It’s for a desktop PC. If I can get Steam working on this desktop PC however i’m hoping to put tumbleweed on my laptop too, which is currently running Mint.

You may want to try the NVIDIA driver. But since i is Tumbleweed there is no NVIDIA repo and you must install the hard way (not really that hard). Which also means you must manually re add the NVIDIA driver after any change in kernel or X stack.

Get the driver for your card from NVIDIA and follow the instruction available there. You will need also the gcc complier and kernel source installed. Keep the *.run file in a handy spot and learn to boot to terminal mode to reinstall after kernel updates.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way

Worked like a charm, you’re a legend! Thanks for your help.

D

I have the same problem here

access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
Running Steam on opensuse 20160422 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

The nVidia driver is installed I did instaled the latest driver the “hard way” but I get the error above, any idea what I’m missing ?

Maybe this thread will give you some hints (specifically go through all wolfi’s posts):
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/498989-13-1-NVIDIA-libGL-renderer-problem

I’m surprised steam is even trying to load swrast (it should wokr better without it) :

Anyway, it shouldn’t use swrast at all, but rather the nvidia driver. swrast doesn’t even work with the nvidia driver installed, as the nvidia driver breaks Mesa’s GLX by replacing some of its libraries with its own incompatible versions (libglx and libGL).

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/498989-13-1-NVIDIA-libGL-renderer-problem?p=2650309#post2650309