Steam - Filesystem must have execute permissions

I keep my Steam library and folder on an NTFS formatted drive which is mounted under oS Leap 42.1 in GNOME (but issue still occurs in KDE).

I’ve tried adding the Steam folder in this drive to my Steam library but keep getting the error “The filesystem must be mounted with execute permissions”.

The drive is mounted in oS with the fstab options “users,gid=users,fmask=000,dmask=000,umask=000,locale=en_GB.UTF-8,uid=1000,gid=1000,exec”. Note some of those I’ve added myself in a vain attempt to get around this issue.

The drive is mounted in fstab using UUID, is set to have No Access Time and Mountable by User. If I go into Nautilus and to to the Steam folder or drive properties, the owner is set to me and everything has both read and write access. Not sure what else I might be missing.

The actual fstab entry is: UUID=B65244F35244B9BF /home/me/Files ntfs-3g noatime,user,users,gid=us
ers,fmask=000,dmask=000,umask=000,locale=en_GB.UTF-8,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

Yeah, I also tried this the same way first time, but didn’t work.

However, if you mount the NTFS partition as your /home folder, it will work. Almost, pulse-audio still won’t have execute permissions, but you can start Steam with “SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa steam”.

(Actually the problem is that Steam installs itself to /home/[username]/.steam, and putting some of it’s folders to a different mount point with NTFS wrecks the whole thing…)

I managed to get it to work in the end, I think by adding “exec” to the end of the fstab entry.

Using NTFS as home will break other things. NTFS is a Windows format not a Linux. Linux cheats to allow usage and permissions and ownership are not preserved. Best to stick with a Linux file system for home and any application you run. Anything else brings tears :’(

Agreed, but sometimes for those of us coming from a Windows environment, desperate times call for desperate measures :wink:

There were no fatal errors, but since it’s in ext4, sounds work without shenningans and Wine does what it should. Anyway, in the end it was better to get rid from Windows entirely, and use Wine for .exe files. Linux games have more trouble with openGL and other emulators, than some wrong filesystems. Once Vulkan becomes mainstream (and since openGL is over, it has no other choice), it will be even easier.