Stay with Ubuntu or change to other distro?

Hello!
A month ago I finally decided to install Ubuntu on my personal and only laptop. I didn’t want to make a radical change to Linux yet as I used Windows all my life so I dual botted Ubuntu 13.04 (12.10 did not detect my wireless card) with Windows 7. I really enjoyed and am currently enjoying the experience of Linux but as I kept on trying differente distros on my virtual machine I started noticing the several diferences in them. I’ve tried (apart from Ubuntu) Mint 14, OpenSuse 12.3, Fedora 18 and Backtrack 5r3. After that, and please forgive me if i’m wrong, Ubuntu just seemed very “juvenile” when compared to the other ones i tried. I use my laptop mainly for rather casual online gaming, programming as i’ve started learning some languages, some school work, multimedia (music making, photo editing, movies,music) and was also planning to set a server at my parents’ home when I go there in vacation. Also i considered the change because I don’t like the tablet feeling unity has and, don’t ask me why, I don’t feel confortable changing the “retail” GUI. I don’t know if it’s just in my case but Ubuntu seems the slowest of the 4 I tried, it’s hard to explain, it feels sluggish opening everything. With the new intel 965 graphic drivers I also got to run many games on Ubuntu like Urban Terror and even World of Warcraft through Wine and I’m feeling more and more distant from Windows as time goes by. My main question is: Taking all the activities I enjoy most in consideration, should I keep Ubuntu or change to Fedora/OpenSuse? I’m afraid of replacing Ubuntu because although slower, everything seems to be working fine and I wouldn’t like to mess that up. Please forgive me if I posted in the wrong forum section. It is my first thread.
P.s Don’t tell anyone but i secretly favor Opensuse (not sure if it was the logo, KDE or even YaST ;))

First you must note down all the things,software you would want to use with Linux like audio/video players,IDEs,steam etc…
Choose the one who provides all and is comparatively fast and stable.
Then you will obviously see the winner. The decision should be yours!

On 2013-05-22, NapkinMan <NapkinMan@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
>
> Hello!

Hello and welcome!

> A month ago I finally decided to install Ubuntu on my personal and only
> laptop. I didn’t want to make a radical change to Linux yet as I used
> Windows all my life so I dual botted Ubuntu 13.04 (12.10 did not detect
> my wireless card) with Windows 7. I really enjoyed and am currently
> enjoying the experience of Linux but as I kept on trying differente
> distros on my virtual machine I started noticing the several diferences
> in them. I’ve tried (apart from Ubuntu) Mint 14, OpenSuse 12.3, Fedora
> 18 and Backtrack 5r3.

That’s a very good idea. Although I’ve used S.u.S.E.->openSUSE 99.99% of the time I’ve used Linux, I’ll try to be
objective and not too biased :).

> After that, and please forgive me if i’m wrong,
> Ubuntu just seemed very “juvenile” when compared to the other ones i
> tried.

I think you need to explain what you mean by `juvenile’. If you mean the Unity interface, then remember many distros
(Mint and openSUSE included) allow you to install a different desktop environment (e.g. KDE + GNOME). Put very simply:

GNU/Linux distro = GNU/Linux kernel + package manager +/- desktop environment.

… and the joy of Linux is that you’re free to choose almost from a limitless combination of these components. For
example if you like KDE but would prefer a *.deb-based package manager, you might like Linux MINT KDE. Personally I’ve
always found openSUSE’s KDE implementation to be the most polished but I’ll admit susceptibility to bias here.

I use my laptop mainly for rather casual online gaming,
programming as i’ve started learning some languages, some school work,
multimedia (music making, photo editing, movies,music) and was also
planning to set a server at my parents’ home when I go there in
vacation.

I don’t know enough about gaming to know whether there’s a Linux distro best suited to gaming. To my knowledge Ubuntu is
a preferred distro according to Steam. When it comes to school work and multimedia, as long as you have installed the
relevant codecs I don’t think there’s much to distinguish between the major distributions.

Also i considered the change because I don’t like the tablet
feeling unity has and, don’t ask me why, I don’t feel confortable
changing the “retail” GUI.

If you don’t like it, don’t use it. I don’t know how/whether it is possible to change the desktop environment of Ubuntu
because I’ve never touched it. Perhaps you may feel comfortable trying to do so in a VM?

I don’t know if it’s just in my case but
Ubuntu seems the slowest of the 4 I tried, it’s hard to explain, it
feels sluggish opening everything. With the new intel 965 graphic
drivers I also got to run many games on Ubuntu like Urban Terror and
even World of Warcraft through Wine and I’m feeling more and more
distant from Windows as time goes by.

IIRC Ubuntu/MINT offer PlayOnLinux which optimally installs games (and MS Office for that matter!).

My main question is: Taking all
the activities I enjoy most in consideration, should I keep Ubuntu or
change to Fedora/OpenSuse?

It’s very much a matter of taste and only you can tell which one you prefer. Switching from a *.deb-based distro to an
*.rpm based one is fine as long as you know the difference. Deciding between Fedora and openSUSE is straightforward if
you want KDE: openSUSE. If you prefer GNOME, then that’s a more difficult call. On an openSUSE forum, however don’t be
surprised if the majority-response is in favour of openSUSE. You just have to try them both if you’re unsure.

I’m afraid of replacing Ubuntu because
although slower, everything seems to be working fine and I wouldn’t like
to mess that up.

If you want to learn about Linux, you should look forward to pleasures of messing things up so you work out how to
unmess them. Linux is not free, you just pay with time rather than money.

Please forgive me if I posted in the wrong forum
section. It is my first thread.

No problem. It probably is in the wrong forum since you’re not really soapboxing and so your post would probably be
better placed under `General chit-chat’. However, since you’re not really asking for support, it would be harsh to raise
this as a criticism.

> P.s Don’t tell anyone but i secretly favor Opensuse (not sure if it was
> the logo, KDE or even YaST ;))

Hehe. The logo is good. You can find KDE on other distros. As far YaST, I really do wonder sometimes how users of other
distros cope without it…

Wow thank you very much. Clearly wasn’t expecting such a complete answer. You really went through the hassle of going through every bit of my post. Now that i was almost throwing the towel on change, you and vazhavandan made me go one more time through my liveusb distro’s. I just found out that Opensuse 12.3 already comes mesa 9.01 installed which I was unware of. One of my greats fears was not being able to install a the graphic driver, as in the website the graphic installer only “supports” fedora and ubuntu. I also found out i could install the latest mesa “manually”. I also narrowed the slowness of Ubuntu down to the cinnamon/unity menu. After playing with the compiz definitions I scratched open gl off the possible causes list. Both menus and mozzila firefox take 2 - 3 secs to open (not just the first time). Which doesn’t seem much but as picky as I am, it bother’s me quite much my system not being 100% optimized at my eyes. Scrolling through the menu’s items also suffers from a bit of lag. I’ll spend the rest of today searching how opensuse does with steam, wine and native games. Some of the software I use the most in Ubuntu: VLC, different packages of Eclipse, Pimp, Wine, Linux multimedia studio and mixx. Thank you for your help.

The delay might have been programmed. you need to check cinnamon settings.
For example https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/277/impatience/ can speed up animation in gnome shell

I doubt it because in the virtual machine (same version) everything seems to work fine.

To update you guys with my current situation. I’ve divided my ubuntu partition in two, ending up with 80gb of Windows7, 35gb for Ubuntu and another 35 for another OS to test. I’ve installed opensuse 12.3 on the empty partition and am currently testing it. Everything seems to be working fine after the updates. I also tried Fedora 18 KDE and it makes all the difference. I’ll keep testing it on vmware and if I eventually get bored with osuse ill go with fedora for my third partition. I’ve decided to: keep Windows7 until i am 100% confortable with linux, keep ubuntu to have a stable and “main” linux distro. Thank you for all the support. [RIGHT] http://forums.fedoraforum.org//forum/images/buttons/quote.gif](http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1652860)
[/RIGHT]

For me Ubuntu is a clear winner for software diversity and hardware compatibility.
While openSUSE is very good at its repositories and does an okay job at hardware, it does trail a little behind.
As does Fedora and most others.
But I am in no means dissing any other distro here, but facing facts Ubuntu is the one to go to if you are first coming from Windows and want things like netflix playback or steam.
That and Linux mint
I will say though that openSUSE is very stable, more so then Ubuntu 12.04 the current LTS.
But that stability comes at a price, no not in money price or anything but the price of having less can be a factor depending on what you want to do.

You are just testing things and writing into this forum because you are bored? You should probably go to the other forum www.iamboredforums.com which will better answer your more immediate needs.

Change, you want to anyway.:wink: