Static IP

Hello to everyone.

I have a problem with DHCP server. I configure enp3s0 with static ip (10.0.0.1) because I want forward internet to my PS3 station. After that I install dhcp server, I have everything in Yast control, but the problem is, why openSUSE do not assigns IPv4 to my enp3s0 but only IPv6 ? Here you have configuration and log. I know that dhcp says that I do not have any ipv4 address, but the question is why ?

openSUSE:/home/sysek # cat /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-enp3s0
BOOTPROTO='static'
BROADCAST=''
ETHTOOL_OPTIONS=''
IPADDR='10.0.0.1/24'
MTU=''
NAME='RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller'
NETWORK=''
REMOTE_IPADDR=''
STARTMODE='manual'
USERCONTROL='no'

log dhcp

openSUSE:/home/sysek # cat /var/log/rc.dhcpd.log
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.2.5-P1
Copyright 2004-2013 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
Not searching LDAP since ldap-server, ldap-port and ldap-base-dn were not specified in the config file
Wrote 0 leases to leases file.

No subnet declaration for enp3s0 (no IPv4 addresses).
** Ignoring requests on enp3s0.  If this is not what
   you want, please write a subnet declaration
   in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
   to which interface enp3s0 is attached. **

Not configured to listen on any interfaces!
openSUSE:/home/sysek # ifconfig                                                                                  
enp3s0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 04:7D:7B:A8:D9:85                                                          
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1                                                             
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0                                                     
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0                                                   
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000                                                                           
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  

The log gives the clue - no subnet declaration

No subnet declaration for enp3s0 (no IPv4 addresses).
** Ignoring requests on enp3s0.  If this is not what
   you want, please write a subnet declaration
   in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
   to which interface enp3s0 is attached. **

Have you configured dhcpd.conf accordingly?

Refer to ‘Section 12.3’

http://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/html/openSUSE_121/opensuse-reference/cha.dhcp.html

On the face of it, I don’t see that running a DHCP server should have anything to do with your missing IPv4 address because you’re attempting to configure that interface manually.

I suppose my question would be how you setup your interface,

• Did you configure in YAST > Network Devices
  • Are you using “classic” ifup/ifdown and if you did, did you actually try bringing up the interface (command line ifup)?

An alternative to the above two which must be configured together,

• Did you configure a static address using Network Manager?

Also, you might run the command “ip addr” instead of “ifconfig” – It displays slightly different information that could provide a clue

ip addr

TSU