static IP doens't allow internet surfing on OpenSuse

hi there,

I’d like some help regarding network configuration.

When I use the machine configured to get the IP via DHCP the internet works fine. Although, when I configure it with a static IP the internet doens’t work, even though I write manually the DNS servers (the same that were gotten automatically via DHCP), but it doens’t help me get the internet to work.

In opensuse, is there any other configuration i should make to use static IP on my network and use the internet?

Any help would be appreciated.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Please post the output from the following commands from both DHCP and
static assignment:

ip addr sh
ip route sh
cat /etc/resolv.conf

Good luck.

caop wrote:
> hi there,
>
> I’d like some help regarding network configuration.
>
> When I use the machine configured to get the IP via DHCP the internet
> works fine. Although, when I configure it with a static IP the internet
> doens’t work, even though I write manually the DNS servers (the same
> that were gotten automatically via DHCP), but it doens’t help me get the
> internet to work.
>
> In opensuse, is there any other configuration i should make to use
> static IP on my network and use the internet?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFJGauF3s42bA80+9kRAqYsAJ0Vq9oJk3oq9JyeXjf8hCDVF5r4DACgg4DO
Ji5zQ/R3oSBvJvmU8F8tsr4=
=e/p1
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

One thing I always run into when I use Static IP addressing is the Gateway. Even if you have all the correct DNS and IP information, if your computer doesn’t know where to go to access outside IP addresses - it wont work.

as root issue the “route” command and look to see if there is a Default Gateway. My testing LAN has a 10.10.x.x scheme, and my DNS servers are 130.160.x.x

I have to make sure that I type something like:
route add -net default eth0 (send all traffic for any IP address out eth0)
OR
route add -net default 10.10.0.1 (this would be the internal IP address of your WAN-facing router)

Add the gateway: Go to Yast → Net devices → Net settings → Routing → Default Gateway (entry is the address of the router, like e.g. 192.168.44.1)

May I add that the default gateway can simply be defined in YaST > Network DDevices > Network Card at the Routing tab?

No need to find out how the route statement should be and how to repeat it at reboot.

You gotta get up earlier – too slow! lol!

Sorry already dark here. Time to go to ZZZZZZZ. But the other side of the globe is at attention.

And your answer might be better because mine is 10.3. Seems to go a bit difference in 11.

Thank you all for the attention, always very quick answering my questions.

I preferred the easiest way by adding the default gateway on yast manager. (it’s easy and i couldn`t figure it out by my self, i’m gonna study more though).

That is where Yast is made for. Easy and nothing to be forgotten.

It helps when you know what is behind it, but mostly not needed. I know of most things how to do it by hand, but prefer using YaST. Lesss error prone.